The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1 Merrill Shots

Malina DZ

Abandoned boat

Found this abandoned boat yesterday in a local inlet. Surprisingly, authorities let it stay there for some time now, and local artists took advantage of this opportunity.

Malina DZ

South Point in B&W

iso100, f/13, 1/200s.
Miami midday. No filters used. Merrill's blue channel can take a lot of abuse both in color and B&W with little to no noise penalty :cool:

Stoneage

WTC Transit Terminal NY, Santiago Calatrava

Handheld (two images) vertical panorama with the DP1m at the WTC terminal from Santiago Calatrava:

calatrava_terminal.jpg

Last edited:

Luiz Curcino

Luiz, you pushed this file over its exposure limit... color cast and banding are all over the sky, even for this small web size. Exposure latitude a weak spot of a Foveon sensor.
Thanks for your note, Malina. It seems to me that DP1 is more sensitive than DP2 in appearing banding noise in the dark blue sky. The sky had gotten too dark and I pulled the X3 Fill Light slider a bit ... Now in a new attempt to reduce the banding noise. Improved a bit ...
I agree the foveon sensor is very limited in dynamic range.

Sigma DP1 Merrill
by Luiz Curcino, no Flickr

Malina DZ

Sigma DP1 Merrill Review

I stumbled upon a very informative DP1M review from a well regarded Polish resource that I haven't seen mentioned before. It's in Polish only, but Google Translate can help us: https://translate.google.com/transl...optyczne.pl/index.php?test=aparat&test_ap=227

Though I'm quite familiar with DP1M 19mm lens optical performance from my own tests, it was interesting to learn quantitative measurements of some aberrations. Especially important for me - optical distortion, turns out to be ~-1.5%. That is quite impressive for a 75° FOV APS-C lens. Not all FF 28mm primes surpass this correction level. Other compacts with 75° FOV (Coolpix A, GR, X70) rely on baked in RAW lens distortion correction that I often find disruptive for environmental portraits. DP1M lens isn't perfect, but under right circumstances (sufficient light, iso 100, f4-5.6) this camera can deliver me striking shots with finest detail and rich color sans apparent aberrations that no other 75° FOV compact can match yet.