The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1 Merrill Shots

retow

DP1M & Ricoh GR wide angle adapter (21mm equivalent field of view). A reasonable alternative to the DPO Q, if Merrill sensor, form factor and faster lens are preferred.

Attachments

Rand47

DP1M & Ricoh GR wide angle adapter (21mm equivalent field of view). A reasonable alternative to the DPO Q, if Merrill sensor, form factor and faster lens are preferred.
Please share exactly what pieces are needed. The specific lens, needed adapters?
I'd love to put one of these on my DP 1 Merrill.

Thanks in advance,

Rand

retow

All you need is: "Ricoh GW-3 21mm Wide-Angle Conversion Lens B&H # RIGW3WCL MFR # 175780".
It screws directly onto the DP1M or DP2M lens and works nicely with both. No adapter or step up/down rings are necessary.

ggibson

I read up on this combo (DP1M + GW-3), but corner performance looked not good enough to me. Enough that I would usually want to crop in from 21mm unless non-detail areas occupy the corners (blank sky, blurred clouds, etc). Depends on your tolerance for detail loss, but we are talking about foveon here, I think most people will be picky :) I think if possible, stitching is a better wide angle solution. Just my take though, maybe retow has a different experience or tips to use this combo.

Rand47

All you need is: "Ricoh GW-3 21mm Wide-Angle Conversion Lens B&H # RIGW3WCL MFR # 175780".
It screws directly onto the DP1M or DP2M lens and works nicely with both. No adapter or step up/down rings are necessary.
Thanks!

Rand

Malina DZ

Burnt Tree

SPP->LR processed image. Click for a full size JPG

OOC JPG. Click for a full size JPG

What I really like about Merrill RAW files is how well blues respond to negative luminance dialing in post at iso100 with 0 noise reduction. If only Sigma made DP1M's 19mm lens an apochromat, so that there were no halos around those pine needles, it would allow for even darker & more saturated blue color without visible artifacts... I would not mind paying extra for a true APO lens in a DP camera.

xpatUSA

Re: Burnt Tree

SPP->LR processed image. Click for a full size JPG

OOC JPG. Click for a full size JPG

What I really like about Merrill RAW files is how well blues respond to negative luminance dialing in post at iso100 with 0 noise reduction. If only Sigma made DP1M's 19mm lens an apochromat, so that there were no halos around those pine needles, it would allow for even darker & more saturated blue color without visible artifacts...
Thanks for posting this comparison which is interesting because I have just bought a used DP2M.

I noticed Auto WB was used for the capture and quite a number of adjustments to blue in LR (XMP data from published JPEG) including -2 for color temperature, -22 for saturation, -55 for luminance and +5 for hue.

Is Auto WB best for the DPxM series in your experience?