The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1 Merrill Shots

Stoneage

Re: Burnt Tree

Is Auto WB best for the DPxM series in your experience?
Sorry to jump in. But no, auto WB isn't the best with the DP2 Merrill in my opinion. It is often to cool (blueish)
Unfortunately the WB is seldom spot on but i would recommend daylight WB as a start as it adds a bit of red/warmth.

Here a sample with Auto WB and the average (blueish) color of the image which confirms my "feeling".

dp2m_wb.jpg
average_color.jpg

Malina DZ

I noticed Auto WB was used for the capture and quite a number of adjustments to blue in LR (XMP data from published JPEG) including -2 for color temperature, -22 for saturation, -55 for luminance and +5 for hue.

Is Auto WB best for the DPxM series in your experience?
Spot on blue adjustments, Ted. Auto WB could be better. I use it for convenience purposes. As Stoneage commented above and displayed in my JPG comparison, it tends to cooler tones. If you need to set up accurate WB, DPMs have a useful tool that works quite well - custom WB.

retow

Sorry to jump in. But no, auto WB isn't the best with the DP2 Merrill in my opinion. It is often to cool (blueish)
Unfortunately the WB is seldom spot on but i would recommend daylight WB as a start as it adds a bit of red/warmth.

Here a sample with Auto WB and the average (blueish) color of the image which confirms my "feeling".

View attachment 129424
View attachment 129425
Seeing that my favorite Sunday morning brunch place in the meatpacking district is gone bothers me much more than the Merrill's WB..........:(

ggibson

Question about SPP white balance--how do the White Balance Setting and Color Adjustment settings interact? I always thought that having two were a bit redundant. I always just use leave the WB as auto and use the Color Adjustment. Is there a better way?

Stoneage

Question about SPP white balance--how do the White Balance Setting and Color Adjustment settings interact? I always thought that having two were a bit redundant. I always just use leave the WB as auto and use the Color Adjustment. Is there a better way?
You need to choose the best/closest WB preset first. It's not possible to fix a totally wrong WB with the Color Adjustment tool.
If "Auto WB" is close enough, then there is no problem of course.

tagscuderia

But isn't white balance just adjusting the same axis as temp (just presets along the axis)?
It's my understanding that there's a matrix to go from camera space to XYZ and then there are matrices or cLUTs for each White Balance preset; the matrices are fairly extreme and account for Foveon's noise. If you consider that a white/D65 illuminant can see a range of 2EV between layers (Ted's observation), the matrix required for sunlight vs tungsten is radically different as Foveon's colour response will be.
Colour Adjustment is to correct/apply tint so it's doing a very different job!

xpatUSA

But isn't white balance just adjusting the same axis as temp (just presets along the axis)?
Not at all, sorry. The preset and the custom White Balances are implemented by separate 3x3 matrix multiplications as part of the conversion from camera space to RGB space. Matrix multiplications are nothing like simple 2-axis slider adjustments, they are more like 3-channel color-mixer adjustments but have 9 fixed coefficients instead of sliders.

Ted.

Malina DZ

DP1m rocks
It does, indeed, for me. Sold my DSLRs and lenses, and shoot only with DP1M & DP2M for now.

Mercury
iso800, 1/40s, f/2.8

It's very challenging to shoot with them in low light situations, and impossible in those where iso1600 & aperture larger than f/2 are required.