The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1 Merrill Shots

Malina DZ

Replacement for DP1M?

I thought I found a replacement for DP1M in Leica Q, but the latter had the EVF failed in a week, and it went back for a refund. It's quite sensitive to Miami heat and humidity even in moderate exposure, I guess. Unlike my DP1M, that keeps clicking for over 2 years, and DP2M - for over 5! Some qualities don't get mentioned on a spec sheet.

JoelM

I thought it was a new bike. BMW is starting to offer more options to customize new bikes. The rear shock placement looks modern compared to the R80 which had 2 shocks on the rear posts. I think it looks great.

Joel

Malina DZ

I thought it was a new bike. BMW is starting to offer more options to customize new bikes. The rear shock placement looks modern compared to the R80 which had 2 shocks on the rear posts. I think it looks great.

Joel
I'm clueless about bikes. This one caught my attention through a window of a gallery and I paid a visit. Unfortunately, I didn't inquire about the model name and year, but did try to research after revisiting the shot at home. The closest match I could find is the 1980s R80 and what tuning companies like Rockerbox and Diamond Atelier can do with them.

JoelM

I'm clueless about bikes. This one caught my attention through a window of a gallery and I paid a visit. Unfortunately, I didn't inquire about the model name and year, but did try to research after revisiting the shot at home. The closest match I could find is the 1980s R80 and what tuning companies like Rockerbox and Diamond Atelier can do with them.
Definitely shares lines with the old R80, but pretty sure it is a modern bike. Too many cues that only modern bikes now have. Would love to ride that one, looks like fun. At my age now, the Ducati is getting to be a bit much. Thinking about a lighter and less powerful bike. :bugeyes:

Joel

foveon

IMO its an older one, the newer have only one arm at the rear and a vertical absorber, this horizontal absorber with the two arms is an older custom thing.

Malina DZ

Definitely shares lines with the old R80, but pretty sure it is a modern bike. Too many cues that only modern bikes now have.
Joel
That 2-valve monolever engine is a giveaway, isn't it? BMW does not make bikes with this engine anymore since 1995, afaik.

JoelM

That 2-valve monolever engine is a giveaway, isn't it? BMW does not make bikes with this engine anymore since 1995, afaik.
I don't know what a monolever engine is, but if you look at the inverted forks, M Power label, modern discs and calipers, it is either a newer bike or a custom job as mentioned above. The drive shaft and heads look older for sure and if those are carbs, then again, for sure. In any case, good looking bike and nice picture.

Thanks,

Joel

PaulO

Death Valley, California...

Lowest point in the USA - Badwater Basin, Death Valley National Park, California._P1M0059_BW_profile-B&W10_2048.jpg

ggibson

excuse my ignorance, what does this mean?^^
Here's a link which provides a lot of information about full spectrum and infrared shooting:

https://kolarivision.com/articles/full_spectrum_conversion/

It basically involves removing the IR/UV cut filter (aka hot mirror) from in front of the camera's sensor so that the camera can see a wider spectrum of light.

The SD DSLR cameras and the SDq have an easily removable hot mirror, but the DP cameras obviously require getting into the internals with a screwdriver to access the sensor. But I wanted the small size of the DPm! Kolari will convert the DPm cameras for $200, but I found some explanations of how to do this so I just did it myself. I have some pictures of the process to share soon. I thought the process could be reverseable with the DPm, but some of the screws were threadlocked so I had to break the hot mirror to remove it. It is possible to add an IR/UV cut filter in front of the lens, but these aren't quite the same as the one in front of the sensor so the final output is still somewhat different. I don't have one of these filters yet--just what I've read.

A couple of visible spectrum uploads today. Not a big fan of the bokeh of this lens, personally. It's a bit busy in the edges. But the 28mm equivalent is perfect for IR shooting which was my intent with the camera.

New backyard flowers by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Good boy by Graham Gibson, on Flickr