Site Sponsors

Thread: Jaggies in DP2M shots?

Post Thanks / Like

Jaggies in DP2M shots?

I noticed in a couple of shots taken yesterday that some distant grass looked a little odd. Zooming in to 100%, 200% in SPP there were definite jaggies not just on the grass but on the edges of twigs on trees etc too.

I was shooting partly into the low sun light and was using ISO 160. Just wondering if this is normal and maybe one of the 'features' of Foveon? I checked I had the camera on max resolution etc.

I haven't really noticed it in most shots and don't want to start the New Year pixel peeping to this extent (last year I was doing that with a Fuji X-Pro !!) but I thought I'd throw it in here for comment.

Happy New Year to all

Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Jaggies in DP2M shots?

Hi Lee

Try upsampling the images and see if it disappears.

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1

In the coastal shot you posted (the one your wife took), the sand looked very crunchy but the smooth sky clearly shows it was not sharpened in the post.

I think the files do need to be upsampled like Quentin suggests to get rid of the jaggies/sharp edges.

A nice problem to have!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    +1

In the coastal shot you posted (the one your wife took), the sand looked very crunchy but the smooth sky clearly shows it was not sharpened in the post.

I think the files do need to be upsampled like Quentin suggests to get rid of the jaggies/sharp edges.

A nice problem to have!
    Oh and I thought these files were supposed to be 'perfect'!

I suspect they would not show in prints but I would need to try it. New Year Resolution to self - spend more time getting photos printed and less time pixel-peeping!

So upsample from within SPP with the Save As to double-size? But then they wouldn't look so lovely and sharp would they and would need to be sharpened afterwards?

What setting for sharpening in SPP if we want to save and upsize?

Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lee,

Don't upsample in SPP. Use Photozoom Pro, or just Photoshop....

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer