The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP3M

biglouis

^^^ superb ^^^

With the right lighting probably the best digital medium telephoto in the world, imho.

LouisB

Kyndel

Beautifull Photo, Hulyss.

--

Got the Sigma DP3 M Yesterday, and you are right, you can shoot in Vivid with this Merrill, and it is not too much, as it is with the others - or used to be, in fact it is very fine - I have not tryed with the others after the last firmaware update, perhaps something is changed there in the 1 and 2, so you also can here with the 1 and 2 ?

adrewdecourcy

Bring up this thread :)
Hulyss, a nice photo, like the tones among many good attributes.

Hello all. I've been following these threads for quite some time. The new to me DP3 has been,so far a joy. I enjoy using a tripod and working at a leisurely pace. Therefore an Ideal camera for myself, complimenting other image capturing devices I have.

As yet the work flow is Photo pro, into either Cs6 or LR as Tiff's. Photo ninja is available if needed.

Got out yesterday, after having the camera for a week.

DP3 by JuliandeCourcy, on Flickr

adrewdecourcy

Hello all.
Recently having acquired the DP3, so far after the week of use, I can say there are so many positives about this small camera, that I am sure it will be a great addition to the gear I already have.
Living in the Far south west of the UK, surrounded by the sea, surf beaches and fishing villages, the source for images are not hard to discover. I also enjoy still life and abstract photography.

Kyndel

I tryed to shoot portraits with the DP3M and did a comparision betw. Nikon D7100 with a top prime lens and others, also Fuji x100S.

Just out of the box (RAW) the DP3M was not the best in my IMHO, but in the end it was.

It needed PP, and there is great room for this, greater than with other cameras I think, and it ended up to be the best.

The only thing is that I could shoot with CLS (SU-800 and 3 Nikon flash) and only with one flash with the Sigma, and of course I got shadows.

After this comparison I asked 2 firms about using Pocket wizards so I could trigger the 3 Nikon flashes from the Sigma, but none could answer this question.

I have asked the model to tune in again, and then I will try another way with a beauty dish on a Nikon SB 900 wired to the camera, and then a better angle to the model.

adrewdecourcy

Rack it took me awhile to recognise the car ^^^. Interesting take.
Still looking and experimenting with the DP3 and using various work flows. Slowly getting some ideas and work pattern and how to deal with certain images. All good so far. Visited an aviation workshop the other day to have a look round.

Kyndel

diglloyd blog - Tulips Brighten My day

You have to scroll down to:

Tulips Brighten My day
Saturday, December 14, 2013 - SEND FEEDBACK
Search: Sigma DP Merrill, canvas, printing, tulips

I can not see anything wrong with those colors, Hyluss ?

Perhaps they changed after the huge firmware update.

I am very interested in your answer.

Thanks

Hulyss Bowman

No they don't :) The DP2m is perfectly usable, if we like it, in landscape, objects, texture. But even in landscape, there is numerous photos over the web who show the flaw. The red channel is out, by a large margin. Skin tones contain red and this is were we can evaluate a sensor "equilibrium".

The DP2m have issues with reds. Of course when you know PP, all is fixable. The brown gradations are more than off. Just see the SIGMA flickr and you will understand what I mean.

In the link above, I do not really care about the picture but what is said above ^^ 5100 USD ?? Hooo Blimey :)

I judge a camera on the delta between what I see, the reality (and I have very good eyes, especially in colours), and what the camera see. The delta between the reality and the DP2m reality is... well... huge. This is not the case with the DP3m.

When I made the article on Lula about the DP3m, the very same pal rapidly attacked me on one of his article. Roughly he said I'm a poor amateur who said BS and that the colour delta between DP2m and DP3m was just in my head. Well... he was very wrong and many posts over DPreview proved that I was right. There is certainly a difference between bloggers and photographers.

Same goes with Leica. The delta between M9 CCD and M240 CMOS is huge. Leica lost his soul over this. Many seen it, many seen it but was too fan boyz to say it and so on...

I love SIGMA but I continue to think that the SD15, Dp2s, DP1s, DP2x, DP1x sensor was better in colour than the new foveon chip period. Resolution and acutance lured and dazzled the new comers in foveon side, that's all.

The DP3m is the most accurate, colour wise, (with the SD1 coupled with some lenses) of all the new foveon generation.

When you work with cameras and many brands, you see it asap.

Last edited:

Kyndel

Thank you very much Hulyss, in fact I work with many cameras =11 or 12 at the moment - from Nikons very best to Fuji x100S and all the small Merrills, and sometimes I like one rendering from another, depending of the subject, but I do not have the exact same approach as you.

For example I love some of my pictures with the Sigma DP2 Merrill, even it is not 100 % as I saw it - in fact it is better, than the reality sometimes - or you could say, as I wish the reality was ;);) = But that is me, and of course I also want to sell something, so you are on the right track here, of course.

Therefore you are much better to judge this than me, and I like to learn from you, and I can conclude that the huge firmware update for Sigma DP1 and 2 M did not give the same colors as the DP3M.

--

OH yes, 5100 dollars is huge, but he has got a lot of praise for those photos, so perhaps he can get it ?

---

I need an advice here: I am so happy for my DP Merrills = The details and the clarity,... I have sold my D3x and I do not miss it anymore, and I am now thinking about the SD1 Merrill and mount the Sigma 35mm f/1.4, but

1) I am not sure it is as good as the DP2M ? and

2) What do you say about the colors from this combo ?

Thanks a lot

Hulyss Bowman

Yea I understand you. In fact, this sensor go beyond our eyes, it is why it is amazing on screen. I'm not better than anyone to judge but I have experience with this material.

The DP2m can output good balance but you need an absolute good light (and not to much brown in your picture). I find it is a very good Black and white tool but the lenses is not fast enough (or the sensor too small) to give a pleasing bokeh.

An example I took in Paris, exifs inside. I don't like this photo. Some may find it nice, but the background is disturbing, fugly at best. This kind of photo is so much more well executed with any 24x36 camera ... It is in this situation where you think you did an error to bring "only" a DP...

The DP3m, with his longer focal, do a better job (But I don't know why the hell they didn't added the same number of diaphragm blades as the DP2m ...). It is an excellent B&W camera too, when you need to go in high ISO like the photo bellow.

And for the SD1, just wait till SIGMA bring out, by the time ..., a real modern DSLR. It seems something new is coming so you must wait ;)

Kyndel

Thank you very much, Hyluss, and yes I get it.

About waiting= Yes, there are something on its way, I also think so, but I can have the SD 1M for a cheap price (new) just now, perhaps exactly because something new is on its way, but it is so cheap, that I was interested if this combo (35mm f/1.4) was good.