The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP3M

Tim

I love SIGMA but I continue to think that the SD15, Dp2s, DP1s, DP2x, DP1x sensor was better in colour than the new foveon chip period.
I have a friend who states the same, he is sticking with his DP2 as he cannot see the same 'pop' in the DP2M. Maybe his eyes and yours are more tuned to see these things, I see the DP2M as more different but I can agree the pop is largely gone.

What I have been experimenting for him with my DP2M is the low and medium resolution and looking at those files. Many will be aghast, saying "why do you want to lose resolution?", well I don't BUT I only want good resolution if I can keep the colours and integrity of the DP2 if possible. I find the handling and improved LCD of the DP2M over the DP2 a bonus, so continue to work with it (my DP2 I have safely locked up).

I assume the DP2M achieves the lower res'es by dropping pixels for medium and low - how is done?.
IMO the look of the DP2 does seem to come back to a degree at Med or Low. Is the loss of resolution worth it?

I am now seriously considering a DP3M BUT more for the focal length than any other reason.

Some numbers for comparison -

DP2
----
Hi - DP2 Hi res
File size typically 12Mp
2640 x 1760

DP2M
-----
Hi X3F
File size typically 50Mb
4704 x 3136

Medium X3F
File size typically 22Mb
3264 x 2176

Low X3F
File size typically 11Mb
2336 x 1568

Perhaps DP2M medium is the best compromise?
I'd be interested if other users of DP2M's could also try some medium and low images and post their thoughts?

Medium DP2M images for the heck of it.
No slider tweaks on #1, a bit of X3 fill light on #2, taken in a bright but slightly cloudy day.

Last edited:

adrewdecourcy

Beutifull, it looks like a speciel PP on number 1 and 2 - would you share ?

Thanks
I'll try

The DP3 is newish to myself, had it about a month so I am still seeing what is what. All images above were tripod mounted, which I use as much as I can with all the camera's I have.
No. 1&2 shot raw, iso 100. The boiler house an 8s f7.1 exposure. The clock tower 1/60 f9. Processed Sigma Pro, adjusted WB and colour wheel. All noise reductions are set to zero, which i do with all the files. Export as tiff into Ps Cs6, where I did not do much at all to the boiler house pic. The Clock tower I used levels locally, along with gamma adjustments to pull up shadows,also lowered dynamic range in levels .Used saturation on individual colours. Backed off contrast a bit also. Used selective colour (black to deepen the shadows) Smart sharpened 48% with a radius 0.3. Saved for web bicubic sharper.
I do tend to treat every file on it's own merits Such as the boiler house needed very little processing as I got lucky with this one shot and the exposure was ok.
Approaching the boiler house shot, I was wondering how the Merrill would cope with low light, longish exposure. Have to say I was impressed.

Kyndel

I'll try

The DP3 is newish to myself, had it about a month so I am still seeing what is what. All images above were tripod mounted, which I use as much as I can with all the camera's I have.
No. 1&2 shot raw, iso 100. The boiler house an 8s f7.1 exposure. The clock tower 1/60 f9. Processed Sigma Pro, adjusted WB and colour wheel. All noise reductions are set to zero, which i do with all the files. Export as tiff into Ps Cs6, where I did not do much at all to the boiler house pic. The Clock tower I used levels locally, along with gamma adjustments to pull up shadows,also lowered dynamic range in levels .Used saturation on individual colours. Backed off contrast a bit also. Used selective colour (black to deepen the shadows) Smart sharpened 48% with a radius 0.3. Saved for web bicubic sharper.
I do tend to treat every file on it's own merits Such as the boiler house needed very little processing as I got lucky with this one shot and the exposure was ok.
Approaching the boiler house shot, I was wondering how the Merrill would cope with low light, longish exposure. Have to say I was impressed.
Thank you very much.

I really like the character the "boiler house" has, and I can understand you did not do much.

Perhaps this Merrills are very good at long exposures ?

Only tryed it once, also tripod - 2,5 seconds - f. 4.0+ 0,3 exp.com (this is DP2M)

adrewdecourcy

I know shooting Raw does give a lot of leeway after for processing. In my experience though to get exposure and WB spot on at the time makes for a decent starting point and if composition and all are ok it is always treat to open a file like that. I think this was so with the boiler shot, and a bit of luck played there.
Also, even though the light was low it was natural window light, through dirty panes of glass which defused the light well.

Well, you've inspired me to get a DP3M, which is on its way- thanks for your images and thoughts!

I've read the thread, the LuLa article, etc. Good stuff!

In terms of sdhc cards, does the DP3M have any "preferences" you've discovered in terms of write speed, or will something like a SanDisk class 10 with a write speed of around 40-45 be as good as it gets? I know it's not a speed demon, but am not photographing sports :)

And spare batteries- do I recall correctly that Ricohs of some type work well? Or are there better options?

Thanks,

Rick

Hulyss Bowman

Well, you've inspired me to get a DP3M, which is on its way- thanks for your images and thoughts!

I've read the thread, the LuLa article, etc. Good stuff!

In terms of sdhc cards, does the DP3M have any "preferences" you've discovered in terms of write speed, or will something like a SanDisk class 10 with a write speed of around 40-45 be as good as it gets? I know it's not a speed demon, but am not photographing sports :)

And spare batteries- do I recall correctly that Ricohs of some type work well? Or are there better options?

Thanks,

Rick
Thanks Rick.

For the SD card, I didn't tested many. I bought asap a Sandisk extrem pro 95Mo/s but it is a bit slow to record. Bear in mind that you can take 7 pictures, full rez (RAW), in a burst.

For the batteries, better way to stay in the brand, I do pretty well with 4. The two you have in the box and 2 spare.

Hope this help :)

Kirk Candlish

The Ricoh batteries are identical, just branded differently and work perfectly.

Don't forget the card speed will also affect your downloading images off of it.

Malina DZ

Tried some action shots with the DP3M. :D
Faster shutter speed would make the shots way crispier than the iso100. ;)
It's obvious, DPMs aren't meant for action photography. Landscapes, architecture and still life is where they shine, and your shots, Sausa, are a good example.
Why didn't Sigma make DPM3 with an f/1.4? It would sell way better.
Foveon needs all available light it can gather to maintain its supremacy over Bayer in color shots at iso100-320 and hand-held shutter speeds. :(

Sauza

Faster shutter speed would make the shots way crispier than the iso100. ;)
It's obvious, DPMs aren't meant for action photography. Landscapes, architecture and still life is where they shine, and your shots, Sausa, are a good example.
Why didn't Sigma make DPM3 with an f/1.4? It would sell way better.
Foveon needs all available light it can gather to maintain its supremacy over Bayer in color shots at iso100-320 and hand-held shutter speeds. :(
Indeed that would have helped. But to be honest, I seldomly change the ISO of the Merrill, so I somehow forgot about that it has this function. :rolleyes: