The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP3M

retow

After reading Hulyss`review and going through the examples in this thread I just ordered one from B&H in NY. It looks as if my future travel bag will be full of fixed lens cameras. DP2M, DP3M, RX1, RX100. Time to sell the unused gear.

biglouis

Hulyss, this last shot is just breathtaking. There is almost a film-like quality to it. I'm sold.

Please can you share the lighting set-up you are using?

LouisB

Hulyss Bowman

Hulyss, this last shot is just breathtaking. There is almost a film-like quality to it. I'm sold.

Please can you share the lighting set-up you are using?

LouisB
Hello Big louis,

Of course I can share my lighting set-up :) The Main source is an Elinchrom® Rotalux Softbox Octa 100 cm modified to fit Nikon SB910 flash inside the Quadra Reflector Adapter RQ-EL. I tested the Quadra system (Ranger RX) and I laughed hard compared to the flexibility of the Nikon Speed light system, even in bright sun light. I didn't yet finished the head modifications but it will be ok this week with the possibility of changing the inside deflectors.

There is an another SB910 on the floor set on minimum power, as slave, firing onto an home made reflector, a plastic base covered with Diamond Diffusion Mylar (far more efficient than most photo gear reflector, even more efficient than my Broncolor para 88).

Well, I'm always into strange light experimentations :chug:

Hulyss Bowman

Interesting as it looks almost surreal.
Yea !! That's foveon. I can't wait to print it on A3+ but first I need to wait my new paper. I do not really like the HAHNEMÜHLE Photo Rag Pearl ... for this price I got not that good results (I print on R3000).

But, I tested a piece of CANSON Photo Infinity Photosatin RC and ... bang !! Very nice. Very very nice (or maybe their profiles are more just than Hahnemüle ...).

Once I have the paper I will show how it render.

scho

Newest addition (taken with NEX 7)
DP3M and Voigtländer 75 mm optical finder:

DSC03712.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​
I have the same viewfinder and I'm waiting for my DP3M to arrive. Curious to know how this setup will work for shooting casual portraits using the viewfinder with face detection enabled.

W.Utsch

@Carl (Scho):
Thats what i will test it for. But no time yet. The finder is very fine and looks good on the 3
@Uwe:
Perfect use of the DP3M, i like landscape, cityscape, structures with a little longer lens!
Right now no possibility to go out - winter came back in central Europe!

Regards
Werner

scho

The DP3M arrived today. A few walkabout shots on an overcast day. All on tripod at f/8. Click for full size original image. Very little post processing of images exported to LR from SPP.

Last edited:

hcubell

I have looked at a whole bunch of JPEGs on the web from the DP2M and DP3M, and there is consistently something about the images that I find remarkable. They seem to have an almost 3D quality. They feel "real". You can almost feel the texture in the objects in the photograph. I am very impressed. This is not just about resolution. I have an IQ180 with lots of megapixels and I know what lots of resolution looks like.

ustein

Contributing Editor
You mean DP3M? I like it a lot but only did handheld shots. I think it is at least as good as DP2M. Will send it back soon though. We are debating to buy one.