The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP3M

scho

First gorge walk of the season. When I started my hike it was overcast (good), but just as I was setting up for my first pano the sun came out (bad). I had to heavily crop the few shots that were salvaged to eliminate blow out areas. Sigma DP3M on the GigaPan.

scho

A couple more panorama shots taken down by the lake with the DP3M+GigaPan.

This image used 15 shots and was taken from the middle of a narrow footbridge (similar to the bridge on right in the image) and I had to pause the pano once to let a couple of walkers pass.

Click small image for quarter size

FULL SIZE Image (dropbox)

An approx 180 degree pano looking north on Cayuga Lake. 20 shots.

FULL SIZE

W.Utsch

Great panos Carl !
I am looking at the GigaPan Epic 100 since some time. How is the portability of the GP?
Using a NodalNinja with small or medium tripod right now. That is pretty fast to install and relatively light and portable.
The GP is probably to heavy and bulky and counters the idea of small, light and unobtrusive gear.....would be pleased to hear your experiences.

Best regards
Werner

scho

Great panos Carl !
I am looking at the GigaPan Epic 100 since some time. How is the portability of the GP?
Using a NodalNinja with small or medium tripod right now. That is pretty fast to install and relatively light and portable.
The GP is probably to heavy and bulky and counters the idea of small, light and unobtrusive gear.....would be pleased to hear your experiences.

Best regards
Werner
Thanks Werner. The GigaPan 100 is most definitely not "small and unobtrusive". I leave the DP3M mounted to the GigaPan and carry the whole assembly in a Crumpler 6M bag together with extra batteries for both camera and GP. I hiked with it through one of the gorges last week and it was similar (although not quite as bad) to carrying my old 4x5 kit. Set-up is pretty quick. Just pop the unit with camera out of bag and onto tripod. Level, set camera focus, exposure, WB and then start GP.

W.Utsch

Thank you Carl for your answer. I thought so about the GigaPan (love the concept though), the NodalNinja (unmounted) is quite small and light.
Remember, as you, the days with the Linhof 4x5 or 6x9 , some 25 years ago, fun... yes, but sweat as well - like hell. Then, hours in the wet darkroom....it was hard work.
Today we can be happy with the DPM's and SPP...even the DSLR's are to big and heavy for me now.

Øyvind Tryti

This is a four image stitch of the culture house Hausmania in Oslo:

Click the image to see it full size. Note that it is multi-resolution, and will load fairly quickly.

Jim DE

Thanks Werner. The GigaPan 100 is most definitely not "small and unobtrusive". I leave the DP3M mounted to the GigaPan and carry the whole assembly in a Crumpler 6M bag together with extra batteries for both camera and GP. I hiked with it through one of the gorges last week and it was similar (although not quite as bad) to carrying my old 4x5 kit. Set-up is pretty quick. Just pop the unit with camera out of bag and onto tripod. Level, set camera focus, exposure, WB and then start GP.

I was just reading about this unit and see it has $60 instant rebate till 4/30/13 and comes with a "GigaPan Stitch Software" You ever use that software that is provided and is it any good scho?

At $340 for a Nodal Ninja 6-8-30 with leveler and $390 for the Giga Pan 100 with software it seems like a better deal for someone who would have to get a Pano software anyway to do horizontal and vertical stitched images. The only thing I have used is photoshops stitching for 3-6 vertical orientated images and a trial of PTgui years ago (worked OK but I was not really that into pano's back then either).

scho, one last question, I read the giga stitch works better with longer focal lengths...... did you ever use your DP2m with the giga pan and giga stitch software?

If your responses are favorable I may pull the trigger before midnight today to take advantage of the current $60 savings. I think the DP2m has given me more interest in pano's. ;) I was originally thinking about the NNMK2/leveler and never considered this gigaPan 100.

scho

I was just reading about this unit and see it has $60 instant rebate till 4/30/13 and comes with a "GigaPan Stitch Software" You ever use that software that is provided and is it any good scho?

At $340 for a Nodal Ninja 6-8-30 with leveler and $390 for the Giga Pan 100 with software it seems like a better deal for someone who would have to get a Pano software anyway to do horizontal and vertical stitched images. The only thing I have used is photoshops stitching for 3-6 vertical orientated images and a trial of PTgui years ago (worked OK but I was not really that into pano's back then either).

scho, one last question, I read the giga stitch works better with longer focal lengths...... did you ever use your DP2m with the giga pan and giga stitch software?

If your responses are favorable I may pull the trigger before midnight today to take advantage of the current $60 savings. I think the DP2m has given me more interest in pano's. ;) I was originally thinking about the NNMK2/leveler and never considered this gigaPan 100.
Hi Jim,

No, I haven't tried my DP2M yet with the GP. Longer focal length is better for getting max detail in the pano. I tried using the free "Stitch" software from GP, but it crashed frequently on my Mac and I gave up on using it. I bought AutoPano Pro 3 from Kolor for 99 euro. Excellent software and very easy to use. Your camera will always be used in landscape orientation with GP and it just shoots as many rows and columns needed for the pano coverage (defined by upper left and lower right corners of your scene). Most of the panos I've done so far with the DP3M+GP have required 6 to 24 shots.