The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP3M

antara

Your photos finally convinced me. And--yesterday I tried close up flowers with the DP2M and was not very happy . So, I sent $585 to Japan and my DP3M is on the way.

Kofronj

I've had my DP3 for a few weeks now. The weather hasn't been great in Wisconsin, but I did force myself to get outside and take some photos. It does an amazing job at dog portraiture...

I think I'm going to like this camera. A lot!

Jim

Kofronj

I had a 'borrowed' DP2 Merrill from a friend, and really enjoyed it. In fact, I was sorely tempted by it, but waited for the DP3 (which is more my focal length).

I'm looking forward to the release of the quattros, and I'll likely fill in my bag with one or both of the other two---unless I see a press release about a new SLR from them. Kazuto Yamaki mentioned that one issue with a new SLR is that they didn't have a lot of lenses that were up to the task. I remember the 55-200 kit lens being quite good with my SD10, but not so much so with the higher resolution SD14.

Enjoy the DP2M! And if you're in the market for puppies, we'll be breeding that cute dog in a week or so... :)

RitterRunkel

I'm in love with my Merrills as well. I always liked the Foveon results - mainly because of the constant level of detail no matter of the subject and local image area, especially fascinating in homogenous low-contrast areas. But even high contrast edges, e.g. branches of trees in front of sky, seem to be so much cleaner and more real since there's no need to sharpen them. Conventional cams have to use unsharpening masks to make edges appear sharp and halos all over are the result. But with Foveon ... by going back to -0.7 sharpness in SPP all my branches look so natural, still sharp and less pixelated, I'm really really happy with the results. =)

RitterRunkel

All of them seem to be packed with details all over, Julian! Nice little micro contrasts. =) And yes, dealing with the results of my other cams is strange somehow. Always wondering if their results used to be sharper, or if I only supposed em to be sharper back then.

adrewdecourcy

I have no idea of the scenario you put forward. All I know I am finding it harder to enjoy the other files from my other wonderful cameras. Yes the advantages of my other gear has for certain situations is needed. But for everyday use I have with me my OM-D and some great lenses and the DP3. invariable the the OM-D does not leave the bag. It is not that it is not a superb camera and I still use. It is no longer the first to go for. The reason is the quality of the files. The 5D MK and the wonderful lenses are left out completely.
All this even when the Sigma dpp is so slow, yet in many ways it is always forgiven because of the output. I am about to purchase a second Merrill, the DP2, but because of the price drop it is becoming hard to get.

RitterRunkel

I've been using a 5D + lot of fine fixed focal lengths for quite some years and I always enjoyed the results. But in the last year I was using the Merrills only and when I'm now using the 5D rarely again, or while postprocessing its raw files, I wonder why they are so soft ... and I wonder if they have always been. Of course it's complaining on a high level, but it's definitely harder to enjoy my older gear than it used to be. That's all I wanted to say ... ;)

What makes me keep my old stuff is its flexibility, too. Not only Hi-ISO but all the lenses and possibilities I miss with my DPs (TS-E, Macro, Tele, etc. or thin DOF). Most complains on my old stuff are related to missing per pixel sharpness and lack of detail.

I'm looking for a second DP3M, btw. I'm sick of cloud shadows or wind effects while making 3D-Stereo-Images.

adrewdecourcy

Also it is not always about pixel sharpness. It is the quality of the light for me and many of my best images would not stand to be pixel peeped, yet with the combination of the light capture and the resolution of the DP3 it is superb combination.
Of course some situations as said cannot be adequately captured using the Merrill, which is why we make excuses to have more than one camera, or two or three or ...... ;-)

HIGH STREET by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

HIGH STREET by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

adrewdecourcy

Stuart I wondered that at first. It was odd but after about ten posts or some number the moderation stopped and posts now go straight up.