The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP3M

The Ute

How does one display big photos here...like Hulyss and others have posted? I only seem to get small thumbnails (one has to click on it to expand). Thanks
No offense Max because most of your work is great but that photo appears badly overexposed.

Considering it's a DP3 the resolution and color could be quite a bit better IMO.

Can't help you on how to post large images.

Other than to say I started using "Dropbox" some of the time.

Can post full-sized TIFF's that way.

Hulyss Bowman

Hello Max,

I use my own server most of the time or I use facebook. Quality is better on my server than facebook, the last photo I posted come from my facebook ans IQ is not very good.

pvg

OK! OK! After being in love with my DP2M for a couple years and seeing all the fabulous photos on this thread, I ordered a DP3M last night ($650!?).

Recently I have been playing with my Sigma 50mm art lens + d800e combination. WICKED. Sigma knows how to make lenses! Even my trusty DP2m is no match for that combo (beyond a ~20" x30" print).

So for my long backcountry trips it is going to be the duo of DP2M + DP3M. I'm very interested in testing 3 shot vertical panos using the DP3M. Heck these two cameras combined probably weigh less than the just the Sigma 50mm art lens!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I find the DP3M very tempting as a travel/walkaround camera, but I'm afraid that the AF and general slowness will be frustrating. Is it slow and frustrating?

Dryce

I find the DP3M very tempting as a travel/walkaround camera, but I'm afraid that the AF and general slowness will be frustrating. Is it slow and frustrating?
Simple answer: yes

With moving subjects you have to prefocus.

I carry all three DPMs as a travel kit. The DP1M and DP2M are better as general walkaround cameras in my opinion. My favourite is the DP3M but I tend to use it on static subjects and landscapes or on predictable moving subjects - it's a more about using it with some planning and intent rather than quick reaction.

Maxpace

Thanks for the feedback and tips on uploading. I tried to upload from flickr but could not. The max JPEG resolution of 1200 x 1200 for uploading seems awfully small.

Here's a couple of shots from a recent trip to Angkor Temple complex in Siem Reap, Cambodia.

Last edited:

G43

If you wish to show your images here not as thumbnails, go to Gallery GetDPI Image Gallery and upload your resized typically 1200 pix on the shortest length, copy the link to your image and paste it in the *IMG* url ikon. That shows a nice file for evaluation, though not full size of course.

Rand47

Proves nothing, of course... being jpegs and all, but the files on my monitor comport well with the differences I see in these posted images. All are nice, but there's just something special about the Merrill files!

Sony a7r:

Sigma DP3 Merrill

Sony a900:

All at base ISO
All shot raw (Sigma converted to 16 bit tiff in SPP then brought into LR)
All manual focused on the pen's clip
Each image was given minor tweaks in LR5.x to get as good a match as I could.
Tripod mounted (RRS w/BH-55)
All with timer delay
f/ stops adjusted to try to get close DOF between the Merrill & the Sonys, though I overcompensated w/ the Merrill and it has less DOF than the FF cameras... :)
All exported from LR as 100% quality jpeg, sRGB, Sharpen for screen

G43

Very good camparison. Thanks.

It is the pop one get with the Foveon, but the Sony versions are not bad at all and would likely by a little careful curve tuning show more pop, but never get the look of the Foveon.

biglouis

Even at this resolution DP3M clarity is apparent on the table surface, metal owl pen holder, spots on sunglasses... :)
Harsh bokeh gives DP3M out as well. Thanks for sharing these samples :thumbup:
I am always amazed at how smooth the bokeh is on the DP3M. Used at f3.2 it is, imho, drop dead gorgeous.

LouisB

24mm

Proves nothing, of course... being jpegs and all, but the files on my monitor comport well with the differences I see in these posted images. All are nice, but there's just something special about the Merrill files!
Without that Fovoen image, one would have to guess how that metal owl really looked like.

Rand47

Without that Fovoen image, one would have to guess how that metal owl really looked like.
You're correct! I'm not one who talks much about "that 3D look" (as I think it is mostlly hot air), but in this case that actually is one of the major differences in rendering between the samples I posted.

I own the a900 and love it. It is a very good tool and I own high quality glass from 16mm to 400mm. The versatility is fabulous and that huge and clear OVF is a marvel. It is a work horse and will stay in my stable until it dies a horrible death some day.

I rented the a7r in order to see what all the hub-bub was about. At high ISO it seriously makes the a900 and the DP3 look like junk cameras. In AF speed, and versatility it also makes them seem pre-historic. But for me, it is the ultimate look and feel of the image "on paper" in a fine print that matters and the DP Merrills just can't be beat this side of about 20K $.

The a7r goes back tomorrow and I have zero interest in buying one, now that I've spent some time with it.

Rand