The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP3M

Lainer

What metering mode do you use? Switch them around and see which will work better for your subjects. There is a big luminance difference between foreground and background in these shots. If -0.3EV exp comp. is all that is needed for these shots then your settings are fine.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/other-cameras/46298-foveon-sensor-better-high-iso-than-i-thought.html
Well, I am relatively new to Sigma, having bought the DP2M last year. Can someone explain the luminance feature in SPP and why i would want to adjust it? Is it just another way of saying, "Smoothing out the noise?" I typically use Aperture priority with Ozzy due to trying to keep his nose and eyes sharp. If I shoot street, I also use Aperture Priority. I use Manual when I want to fine tune, which I think the DP3M needs more than the DP2M. The DP3M seems to be better in manual, but only if I can see the LCD screen. Being older and having not the best eyesight, I rely heavily on the AF focus. Speaking of which: What size of focus are do you guys use? Is it better to make it the smallest or the largest? I also use center weighted metering. Is that better than spot? Sometimes different cameras perform better in certain modes. I really wish that we could have a book on Sigma DP Meriills, SPP and all the tricks. Maybe we should all come together and share cheat notes, make an eBook and sell it to the masses? I'm sure we could all contribute. Isn't that a great idea? then we can go to one source to find out what the tricks are to using this camera settings and SPP. I don't think there is enough info out there, and it's sporadic at best in finding it. Thankfully, some Sigma users have shared their techniques. Because of the Foveon sensor the camera works differently than the bayer sensor cameras I've used. I am not a techie, and find all of that stuff a bit confusing, but when a techie figures out why the foveon does certain things and then adjusts their shooting to that and shares a technique online, I am very happy. As of using -0.3 setting on my DP3M, it's a guesstimate. Like, I said, I'm not a techie, but this camera "seems" to slightly overexpose. Maybe I am wrong? :eek::eek::eek:

Lainer

"At F/4, the DP3M doesn't get both the muzzle and eyes in four like my Nikon Does. Had to bring it up to F/10 when close to Ozzy."
With same sensor size DOF is a matter of magnification and f-stop, not of brand,

Compared to the DP2m I find the AF of the DP3m weaker, about aperture priority mode I dont know, I allways shoot with manual settings.
Good to know. I will try shooting in manual mode, not manual focus though. It's a bit hard here in AZ. The LCD screen ability just disappears in bright daylight.

Any idea if there is a optical viewfinder available for the DP3M? (Of another brand that will fit on top of flash socket?) :LOL:

BillN

DP3M = A........MA ....ZING

almost transformational, (with all it's many quirks ....... I cannot call them faults, it would be too much of an insult ...... they are negative characteristics)

I must get the other two bodies before more people discover this secret ...... at under £350 they are a "steal"

BillN

Sigma Photo Pro 6.2.0 available for download

SIGMA Photo Pro | Camera | Download | SIGMA GLOBAL VISION

my Mac wouldn't open it as it said "it does not recognise the identity of the developer" .........changing security and privacy settings seems to open it ..... but!!!

seems to be creating a few "problems" already ......

http://sigma-rumors.com/2014/10/sigm...able-download/

took almost as long to fire up as taking 30 images and writing them to card does

"lets not make it easy Sigma when you can make it hard"

why do they keep doing this?

BillN

Good to know. I will try shooting in manual mode, not manual focus though. It's a bit hard here in AZ. The LCD screen ability just disappears in bright daylight.

Any idea if there is a optical viewfinder available for the DP3M? (Of another brand that will fit on top of flash socket?) :LOL:
The Voigtlander Bessa L 50/75mm optical viewfinder seems to work

Hulyss Bowman

Hello BillN ! This is at my summer house 20 km south west of Roanne. Sure it was not Air Force, no noise before, no noise after. Such dark smoke trail would have been produced only in post combustion (so, usually some noise produced). No wind this day. It is clearly something burning in the atmosphere and the shoot is at 1/6 of a second.

Better crop :

As you can see, while we clearly see the smoke trail and the tiny burning line, we would have seen at least some details out of an air-plane or something like that. Can be a missile test thought ;)