The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP3M

darr

Andrew, great series of shots!
I like the detail in focus, but dislike the bokeh highlight shape and structure. And the latter is the reason that keeps me away from getting a DP3. It seems to work well in a studio type shots though.
Dzmitry,
One of the benefits I have experienced when shooting the SD1M is the choice of lenses. I still love my little bricks (DP Merrills), but I am finding I shoot with the SD1M more because I have a choice of lenses (and bokeh).

I hope you are getting your kit together! :)

Kind regards,
Darr

adrewdecourcy

Andrew, great series of shots!
I like the detail in focus, but dislike the bokeh highlight shape and structure. And the latter is the reason that keeps me away from getting a DP3. It seems to work well in a studio type shots though.
Sigma could have done better yes, maybe simple with more aperture blades. But I do not really know a lot about the engineering of lenses, does the leaf shutter compromise? I dont know.

Malina DZ

One of the benefits I have experienced when shooting the SD1M is the choice of lenses. I still love my little bricks (DP Merrills), but I am finding I shoot with the SD1M more because I have a choice of lenses (and bokeh).
I hope you are getting your kit together! :)
Darlene, I still enjoy shooting DP2M as well. My kit is pretty much all set: a850+28/1.8 & 85/1.4; DP2M & Pentax67+105/2.4. 28mm cries for an Art version though.

SD1M does provide a greater lens choice, but all the best Sigma lenses are designed for a full frame sensor, that Foveon is unable to brace till this day. Yet even at their full image circle they don't make me excited. I'm talking about Sigma's 35/1.4 Art, 50/1.4 Art, 85/1.4 that I tried on different FF bodies. I don't doubt they are among the best in their class/focal length. I'm sure they can get the job done with satisfying results. I can get those with an underdog 28/1.8. But none of them make me excited enough to invest into a body to shoot with. I have plenty of cameras already for my modest needs. And I must add that a 6x7 film redefined my personal image quality standards that a current state of 35mm sensor and lens market barely meets, besides a convenience factor, of course. Pixel-level sharpness has nothing to do with it.

Sigma could have done better yes, maybe simple with more aperture blades. But I do not really know a lot about the engineering of lenses, does the leaf shutter compromise? I dont know.
It's not just the number of blades that may spoil the bokeh rendering. Shoot wide open and it will show that busy, high contrast bokeh spiced with onion rings in highlights and harsh transitions into out of focus areas anyway (not in all scenarios). DP2M is even worse than DP3M in this regard. Yet we still try to make the best out of the tools available to us and somehow succeed despite some of their rendering deficiencies. Images posted in this sub forum prove it.

adrewdecourcy

Darlene, I still enjoy shooting DP2M as well. My kit is pretty much all set: a850+28/1.8 & 85/1.4; DP2M & Pentax67+105/2.4. 28mm cries for an Art version though.

It's not just the number of blades that may spoil the bokeh rendering. Shoot wide open and it will show that busy, high contrast bokeh spiced with onion rings in highlights and harsh transitions into out of focus areas anyway (not in all scenarios). DP2M is even worse than DP3M in this regard. Yet we still try to make the best out of the tools available to us and somehow succeed despite some of their rendering deficiencies. Images posted in this sub forum prove it.
Yes all lenses can throw up odd weird and peculiar rendering at times. I certainly have some Dp3 shots where I have liked the OOF rendering, but these things are subjective and thankfully so, or we'd all get very bored very soon.

2 by Julian .., on Flickr