The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP3M

Hulyss Bowman

I remember that someone told Sigma merrill camera don´t fit portrait photography. I believe that Merrill cameras are best for anything if you can use it.
They don't fit portrait photography.

If you go deeper in the technique you'll see that a "simple" bayer camera is better suited for this. The best foveon for portrait was the Fx17-78-F13D sensor and the new best "foveon" is the Quattro, now. The Merrill is best for details but not for human skin. Ofc you can do it but it is masochism IMHO. And your photo actually show post processing which is less needed with "soft" bayer or older foveon technology ;)

Also,if you go pro/fashion photography, you'll see you can't trust the Merrill colours especially on yellows. I had numerous problems with the Merrill line on field because of that. I always asked models to wear neutral colours clothes for our shoots. In B&W it is very good, in the other hand.

For color, a simple ol' D700/5D is far superior (to stay in the same actual price range).

Last edited:

biglouis

That is a very lovely portrait. Well done.

I've used the DP3M once or twice for humans. The problem is that if they do not have a good moisturising regimen it really shows at 100%

:)

LouisB