The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP3M

biglouis

I wouldn't seriously recommend the DP3M as a birding camera but it was the only one I had with me today that could cope with the task. I had to look these birds up: they are Egyptian Geese. In ten years of walking the Regent's Canal I have seen many Canadian geese but never this type.

biglouis

nice, and what did they bring with them, a toy or a remote controll?
Even at 100% I cannot work out what that thing is in the grass in front of them. It looks like a robot from Star Wars! In fact there is a light show going on at this point in the canal at present and I think this must be some kind of control for the lights.

Louis

biglouis

Not shot on the DP3M but my setup today. I finally decided if I was serious about a photograph I've been trying to capture I needed to put some effort into it(!).

Sigma DP3M, Manfrotto portable tripod (I think an early BeFree), a Hoodman Loupe with the optional elastic straps (quite useful), a System 5 filter holder and in this case two filters and a circular polariser.

Because of the filters you have to work in manual speed/aperture mode and I found it easiest to keep adjusting aperture and speed until the shot when taken was properly exposed.

I look on it as being a pint-sized view camera.

biglouis

One more from yesterday, shot using the DP3M. The foreground is part of the old mechanism from a Victoria gas holder which has been turned into a park on the Regent's Canal. It is opposite the main line out of St Pancras International station. If you wait long enough you can catch a Eurostar on its outward journey.

bensonga

I'm so glad I bought back a Sigma DP3M again. This is a little known building in New Road, Whitechapel where the Salvation Army movement was conceived in 1865.

You might want to take a look at a full size jpeg export from LR6 available here (12MB file).
The edge to edge sharpness is incredible as is the detail in the image.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful image with us Louis. I downloaded it and made a 13x19 inch print of your photo this evening. Holding this beautiful print in my hands, you have inspired me to pull my DPMs out of the closet, charge up the batteries and hopefully get out to use them more often. Thanks again!

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

biglouis

Thank you for sharing this wonderful image with us Louis. I downloaded it and made a 13x19 inch print of your photo this evening. Holding this beautiful print in my hands, you have inspired me to pull my DPMs out of the closet, charge up the batteries and hopefully get out to use them more often. Thanks again!

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska
Glad to be of service. I don't doubt that it prints beautifully and I don't mean to boast about my photographic skills more the incredible fidelity of Sigma Merrill images.

With best regards

LouisB

furtle

Hello Louis

I'm really liking your photos from bits of London not normally seen. The DP3M is perfect for this - and a good eye!

bensonga

Louis sparked my interest in shooting with my DP Merrills again, so I pulled them out of the closet and brought them with me today to do a little casual shooting along the Ship Creek industrial area here in Anchorage, on my way to the office. I have a nice Think Tank Mirrorless Mover bag that holds all three of the Merrills (I think somewhere here actually shared a photo of their cameras in this bag), so I took a few shots with all three cameras.

Here are two from the DPM3. These are actually the first I have taken with the camera hand held and using autofocus. It seemed to work quite well. Both of these images were processed in SilverEfex Pro2.

Gary

bensonga

Here's one from my trip to Death Valley National Park in March 2015. The view from Zabriskie Point just after sunrise. Manly Beacon is out of the frame, to the left of this scene. Death Valley is an amazing place.

Gary

Last edited:

bensonga

Another DP3M image from my trip to Death Valley NP in 2015. These are the Mesquite sand dunes with the Grapevine mountains in the distance.

Converted from Raw to TIFF in SPP 5.5.3, processed in PS6 and B&W conversion with Topaz.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska.

biglouis

Another DP3M image from my trip to Death Valley NP in 2015. These are the Mesquite sand dunes with the Grapevine mountains in the distance.

Converted from Raw to TIFF in SPP 5.5.3, processed in PS6 and B&W conversion with Topaz.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska.

Gary

That is one of the best so far. Really nice composition and tones.

LouisB

bensonga

Thanks Louis. There are so many incredible Sigma images here on GetDPI. I feel like I still have a long way to go re learning how to get the most from these cameras....especially in B&W.

Gary

Last edited: