The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP3M

RossNH

This camera is so annoying to use, but the results have something special, I think. :D

Oak by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Soft by Graham Gibson, on Flickr
Very true, I got into the DPx Merrill game after looking at some prints a friend had made. I think he summed the experience up perfectly.

"Some of the best pictures you will ever take with one of the worst cameras you will ever use..."

Great shots btw.

ggibson

Very true, I got into the DPx Merrill game after looking at some prints a friend had made. I think he summed the experience up perfectly.

"Some of the best pictures you will ever take with one of the worst cameras you will ever use..."

Great shots btw.
Thanks, and yes I do miss quite a few shots due to the slow AF, terrible screen, and archaic write-times. It's almost like shooting film, I don't really know for sure whether a shot will come out until I process it at home. Makes the ones that do succeed all the more special I suppose.

I have been contemplating trying a DP3q to see if I'd get on with it better. The body style is my main hangup with the DPq cameras though; it's just really awkward. I still hold out hope that Sigma will release new DP Foveon cameras sometime and use some sensible ergonomic design.

ggibson

I will say, I have enjoyed the 75mm equivalent lens on this camera, in a relatively small package. It's a unique focal length to have on a small fixed lens camera and is capable of decent background separation with subjects (although the bokeh isn't always the smoothest, it has character). Although I tend to "see" wider, it is fun to use as it gets me outside of my comfort zone.

At the crest by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Peter and Fenton by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Peter and Fenton by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

RossNH

Thanks, and yes I do miss quite a few shots due to the slow AF, terrible screen, and archaic write-times. It's almost like shooting film, I don't really know for sure whether a shot will come out until I process it at home. Makes the ones that do succeed all the more special I suppose.

I have been contemplating trying a DP3q to see if I'd get on with it better. The body style is my main hangup with the DPq cameras though; it's just really awkward. I still hold out hope that Sigma will release new DP Foveon cameras sometime and use some sensible ergonomic design.
Yeah the DPxQ's ergonomics don't impress very much. I would like to check out the SFD feature and 21:9 aspect ratio option though. Someday I may check out a DP0Q. In the meantime, I've really enjoyed using the DP Merrills with an Aputure VS-2 field monitor on a magic arm. It really only limits the use to a tripod due to mobility issues but with the monitor I get focus peaking and better exposure controls like highlight clipping warning within the scene. For cameras that haven't had later generation releases or significant firmware updates it's been a big help.

phorn333

Yeah the DPxQ's ergonomics don't impress very much. I would like to check out the SFD feature and 21:9 aspect ratio option though. Someday I may check out a DP0Q. In the meantime, I've really enjoyed using the DP Merrills with an Aputure VS-2 field monitor on a magic arm. It really only limits the use to a tripod due to mobility issues but with the monitor I get focus peaking and better exposure controls like highlight clipping warning within the scene. For cameras that haven't had later generation releases or significant firmware updates it's been a big help.
I think I am one of the few who actually likes the form factor of the dp Quattros. I have owned all three dp Merrills and three of the four dp Quattros at one point or another. I currently am down to two - a dp3M and dp2Q. I love the dp3M the most because it seems to me to produce images that have a special quality not quite provided by the other Merrills or any Quattro. I keep a Franiec grip mounted on the front of the dp3M for more secure handling without the extra bulk of the baseplate + larger handgrip accessories, but even with the Franiec grip it is not completely secure feeling in my hand. The dp2Quattro, on the other hand, feels really solid in the hand. I often take walks with the dp2Q by carrying it in my hand without any strap or bag. I feel I have a really good grip on the camera (and because it is so light compared to my other cameras I don't get tired carrying it that way). In addition, for me the controls fall right where they should with the dp2Q, so I have no complaints there either. It also is a fun camera to use just because other people don't quite know what to make of that funny looking contraption.

ggibson

I've had both the SDQ and DP0q. The DP0q ergonomics were especially awkward with the long protruding lens. It took up way more room in any bag than its volume and weight would need. That and the fact that I didn't really use a 21mm prime all that much meant I sold it after only a short ownership. The SDQ was just too big and heavy for me as well, and I didn't want to get invested into the old Sigma mount lenses.

I will say that the SFD mode was one of the best tricks on these cameras. The output files were so clean, smooth, and nice to work with. I posted my thoughts in this forum a while back. SFD is one feature tempting me into a DP3q. I'd love to try using it for digitizing some slide film.

But in the meantime, the DP3m keeps taking nice images :)

A boy and his dog by Graham Gibson, on Flickr