The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR-Capturing Slides

Godfrey

I normally use a Nikon Coolscan V ED to capture slides, but I thought, "hmm, I wonder how good the GXR A12 50 Macro is for this. So I did a test, and through in the Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5 as well for comparison sake.

Report here:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25268645/slide_capture/index.html

In the end, the scanner does the best job, most easily, but the GXR acquitted itself nicely too.

Comments?

G

Agnius

Godfrey,

Not too bad. I still prefer the coolscan image though. I wonder if by masking the unused portion of the light table you could eliminate the green band on the nikkor image (bottom of the robe).

GXR macro shot is cleaner color wise.

Good luck!

Godfrey

Godfrey,

Not too bad. I still prefer the coolscan image though. I wonder if by masking the unused portion of the light table you could eliminate the green band on the nikkor image (bottom of the robe).

GXR macro shot is cleaner color wise.

Good luck!
Thanks for looking.
Yes, to do the copy-slide setup properly, I need a light shield between the slide and the lens for either lens. I didn't have time to make one for this quickie test.

Curious that you feel the GXR macro shot is cleaner color-wise. Both GXR exposures (with A12 50mm or Micro-Nikkor 55mm) took a significant amount of tweaking to match the slide original as best I could (in a half hour... ;-) while the film scanner and VueScan exposure required virtually no adjustment at all and is a darn close match to the original right out of the scanner.

G

Agnius

Thanks for looking.
Yes, to do the copy-slide setup properly, I need a light shield between the slide and the lens for either lens. I didn't have time to make one for this quickie test.

Curious that you feel the GXR macro shot is cleaner color-wise. Both GXR exposures (with A12 50mm or Micro-Nikkor 55mm) took a significant amount of tweaking to match the slide original as best I could (in a half hour... ;-) while the film scanner and VueScan exposure required virtually no adjustment at all and is a darn close match to the original right out of the scanner.

G
I feel the color band using Nikkor was more disturbing than uniformity of Ricoh macro, but who knows what caused it. Yeah, don't retire your scanner yet.

Godfrey

I feel the color band using Nikkor was more disturbing than uniformity of Ricoh macro, but who knows what caused it. Yeah, don't retire your scanner yet.
Oh, that's easy: sloppy work on my part. :-/

It's a reflection of the room lamp off the top of the slide. Note in the setup photos that the much longer focal length Nikkor (55 vs 33 mm) provides several more inches of working room, allowing more of the room lamp to reflect on that exposure. Both exposures with the GXR should have had a light blocking shade surrounding the lens and the slide to prevent that happening. Just didn't have time to rig one up. :)

G