The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A900 - wanna see some raw files?

jonoslack

Hi There

I've had a few requests for RAW files, so I've put a few up on my mobile me public folder

A900 RAW Files

They are pretty much picked at random, but they might be of interest

I'm sure that the 5dII will be a 'better' camera, but whether it has the serendipity of the A900, or the light AA filter (whatever dPreview might say) is another question.

I'm enjoying mine more than I expected.

Worth noting that none of those RAW files were on a tripod, lenses are:

24-70 zeiss
70-300 Sony G
20 f2.8 Sony
12-24 Sigma

jonoslack

Thanks Jono . I do want to play with some of these files myself.
Have Fun!
Please note - I've converted them to DNG - because they're much smaller, and with Aperture I really couldn't tell the difference (Aperture uses the camera specific settings on .DNG files for cameras which it recognises). Also, because I'm becoming increasingly concerned about having camera specific raw files from so many cameras . . . . dng seems a safer bet.

Greg Seitz

Jono,

Great shots! I hope you don't mind, I've taken the liberty to post one of your pictures to show how Aperture, Adobe Camera Raw, and Raw Developer processed them.

Below, I've shown the full scene of one of your shots and then show a 100% crop from the three different processors. Aperture and ACR are fairly close but Raw Developer literally wipes the floor with the other two.

Raw developer is pulling out an amazing amount of extra detail and tonality. Check out the grass and rooftop of the closest house, and the overall look of all the shrubbery.

Greg

Aperture:

Adobe:

Raw Developer:

jonoslack

Hi Greg
Great stuff - keep them coming . . . . but, this is what I'm getting out of Aperture:

I haven't tried the others.

Mind you, I believe you that RAW developer may produce the best results, but I long since decided that my workflow was such that it was better to settle on a program and stick to it, that the decision was between Lightroom and Aperture, and at the time I made my mind up Aperture seemed to do the better job.

Good choice of shot to play with .

Quentin_Bargate

How about Raw Therapee anyone? I keep trying to run it on my PC but the beta sometimes crashes out.

But I have to say Raw Developer seems to uncover a lot the others leave behind. Wish it would be ported to the PC.

Immense amount of info in those files.

I'll stick with SilkyPix for ease of use, now I am used to it. It won't get the detail Raw Developer does, but it does have great colour.

Quentin

Greg Seitz

Went back and tweaked Aperture a bit more and am getting similar results to yours which is definitely an improvement. I still can't extract quite as much detail as RD though.

I used to use Aperture but it pissed me off too many times with large libraries so I finally gave in and went with Lightroom which handles large libraries much better for me. Lightroom also works very well with RD since I can simply drag and drop my photos directly from Lightroom onto the RD application for the files I want to extract the extra detail from.

Interestingly I was debating between the A900 and the 5D Mk II and ended up going with the Mk II. Nikon made my decision much easier with the price of the D3X. My reasoning was that the file quality would end up being very close and I use Live view a fair bit and happen to love the way Canon has implemented it. Far nicer and well though out vs Nikon's current implementation. None of the mirror up and down nonsense. Being able to use Nikon mount glass is also a bonus. It also doesn't hurt that I happen to have a fair amount of Canon glass already. Now I'm waiting for RD support for the Canon which should be coming very soon.

Anyways, these are both phenomenal tools at this price point when you consider the alternatives...

Quentin_Bargate

Just Wait for Windows 7 . . . . then everything will be okay
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Of course, you could always buy a mac?
Nah, I'll stumble on in Windows...

Just noticed someone has a purple Land Rover in your shot, Jono. Not yours, I trust? :LOL:

Quentin

jonoslack

Nah, I'll stumble on in Windows...

Just noticed someone has a purple Land Rover in your shot, Jono. Not yours, I trust? :LOL:

Quentin
No worries
Windows 7 is imminent, and it's wonderful - it'll sort out ALL the problems associated with Vista, the environment is fabulous and easy to use, and it'll work incredibly fast on every PC made since 1994.

No - my landrover is pink.

and it has wings.