The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP Merrill L-Bracket Cable Release Adapter Proposal

N

nick

Just wondered how feasible it would be to manufacture an attachment for the RRS and/or Millich L-Plate that would attach with 2 screws in place of the grip? This would essentially be a vertical arm to the top of the camera with a horizontal arm that reaches back and has a cable release adapter built into it over the shutter button. It would block the front of the wheel surrounding the shutter button, but this would still be operable from the rear of the camera.

Is there already a better option available? I had thought of buying the strap adapter (Kaiser Cable Release Adapter (Strap-On) 206154 B&H Photo Video), but $35 is way over priced when something similar built into the L grip would be far more practical.

Anybody have any thoughts? Alternate proposals? If there was enough interest I would contact RRS and/or Millich to see if they would be willing to make such an accessory. This post is just to see how crazy the idea is and gauge the interest in such a part.

Cheers!

Nick

kgelner

Richard Franiec made such an item for the DP1 and 2 but they're not compatible with the Merrills. I don't know why he hasn't made one for the Merrills as I would think Sigma is selling a lot more of the Merrills than their predecessors.
Here's what it looked like:
Picasa Web Albums - tecsol - 2009_07_14

Lawrence
There's quite a lot more distance from the trigger button to the flash brackets on the newer DP cameras than the older ones. I'm not sure it's as mechanically feasible to use the same design where an arm holding the threaded socket for the cable release stretches all the way over to the flash socket to mount.

I think the idea of attaching something to one of the existing L-Bracket plates has a lot going for it. The RRS and the Milch grip both attach the grip via two mounting screws, you could easily design something to attach in place of the grip and it would have a firm attachment to the camera.

What I would love to see is an electronic solution that could trigger the button, instead of just a socket for a cable release. Even though I have a 20+ft cable release, I'd way rather use some kind of remote electronic trigger.

The Ute

Richard Franiec made such an item for the DP1 and 2 but they're not compatible with the Merrills. I don't know why he hasn't made one for the Merrills as I would think Sigma is selling a lot more of the Merrills than their predecessors.
Here's what it looked like:
Picasa Web Albums - tecsol - 2009_07_14

Lawrence

I just spoke w. him yesterday and he said he is working on one.

I told him to put me down for 2 when he gets it finished.

:D