The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Auto Iso per Pixel - who´s first in the Pro Range ?

Stefan Steib

Stefan Steib

To the moderators:

Why was this shifted to "Other Cameras" ?

I am asking a question about a new technical devellopment and how this could be implemented to future releases of Capture one and it´s dropped into "other cameras" ?

Does this mean Digital MF is not a place to talk about innovations and their possible usage and improvements for our Professional Gear ?

If so I would please have this confirmed, then I will stop posting here.

Thank You !

Stefan

kgelner

I always wonder why the creative stuff does not come from the Highend anymore. Again here we have one really amazing idea - coming from Mobile phones. Auto Iso on Pixel level. This could even be done in Post. Phase One do you hear me ? Wishlist for Capture One 8 !

Pixel-Level Auto-ISO For One-Shot HDRs? Another (Mobile Device) Concept Free Photography Tips Tutorials Reviews and Wordpress Themes | Photography tips and photography tutorials and more

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
How could this be done in post? The invention seems to be re-setting collection of photons at a photosite once it is over-saturated, recording again... so it's sort of recording how many times in a certain period a photosite was exposed to maximum. There's no way to get that information with current sensors once a photosite reaches the maximum value...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The topic is actually about "other cameras"
Reports were received concerning its location.
you are free to post a link to this if you wish in the MF forum.
thanks
-bob

To the moderators:

Why was this shifted to "Other Cameras" ?

I am asking a question about a new technical devellopment and how this could be implemented to future releases of Capture one and it´s dropped into "other cameras" ?

Does this mean Digital MF is not a place to talk about innovations and their possible usage and improvements for our Professional Gear ?

If so I would please have this confirmed, then I will stop posting here.

Thank You !

Stefan

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
As for the technical development...
One of the lovely things about current high-end gear is that we enjoy nice smooth response curves that have more DR than that which we had in film.
HDR is a touchy subject, since most techniques to achieve it involve a non-linear response curve which tends to force an unnatural appearance to the images.
Cell phone cameras have a lower saturation limit in their sensors than high-end digital gear so they have a shorter DR generally.
What would be a great innovation IMO would be to expand DR a bit more in cell phone cameras without creating such a non-linear response curve.
OTOH, DR expansion in general has its down-side, as sensor DR now exceeds the DR of many natural scenes, it requires folks to shorten that on an image by image basis depending on the subject if the desired results is detail in the darks. That is a small price as far as I am concerned, but it does take more work.
Several post-processors have "auto" settings that attempt to do exactly this and it frequently works well, however it occasionally (or for me usually) does something unpleasant with regard to my end-intent.
-bob

Stefan Steib

How could this be done in post? The invention seems to be re-setting collection of photons at a photosite once it is over-saturated, recording again... so it's sort of recording how many times in a certain period a photosite was exposed to maximum. There's no way to get that information with current sensors once a photosite reaches the maximum value...
I don´t see any reason why Phase even with CCD´s couldn´t slice exposures in single parts like layers over a timeframe. Maybe that´s something that needs to be supported by a firmware change and of course a software that is capable to read this. But nobody said it is available out of the box.

And Bob (and Mr. "Complain" Gilbert) so we are discussing now Phase One backs in "other cameras".

It´s your forum. Do what you want.........

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have started a generic HDR thread in the MF forum.
Please carry on there as it relates to MF.
thanks
-bob

kgelner

I don´t see any reason why Phase even with CCD´s couldn´t slice exposures in single parts like layers over a timeframe. Maybe that´s something that needs to be supported by a firmware change and of course a software that is capable to read this. But nobody said it is available out of the box.
You can always take multiple exposures and HDR them.

But the sensor in question is using a single shot - say for 1/20, it's recording how many times each photosite fills. That's not data you can get after the fact from any camera, nor are most cameras built to capture data like that.

It allows HDR like results without multiple exposures of any kind and all the problems that brings (like subjects shifting).