The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question on DP1M LCD Live View

Z

zephyr2013

I just got the Sigma DP1M camera, and I see that the colors on the LCD Live View are really muted by a large degree. Previewing the image taken however shows the correct colors.

Is this LCD Live View trait normal ? Or are the colors supposed to be very close to the image that was taken when previewed ?

Just making sure I did not get a defective camera, thanks ...

Z

zephyr2013

Ok, never mind, I found the answer (sort of) looking at a picture of the dp1 lcd here :

Sigma DP-1 first review - with test shots: Sigma Camera Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

The DP1 screen looks exactly like my DP1M, so at least I know mine is not defective. It sure is a primitive screen, good that it has state of art images output.

Anyway, just ordered this too -> Digital Camera 3 0" Screen Hood Pop Up Shade Protector | eBay, should help in sunlight (where dp1m is supposed to be used, ironically).

I'm getting this too :
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/viewfinder-pro/id362496185?mt=8

Hulyss Bowman

The DP Merrill screen is a Ricoh screen, actually the same used on the pentax K5.
This is an excellent screen, do not read too much forums ...

Z

zephyr2013

The DP Merrill screen is a Ricoh screen, actually the same used on the pentax K5.
This is an excellent screen, do not read too much forums ...
Mine is a primitive screen, period, IMHO, just like the one shown in the link. Not too bad in daylight though.

Unless you are saying my screen and the one shown in the link are defective ? I will ask Sigma about it tomorrow, since you said it is excellent, which means it should not look like the one in the picture. If it turns out to be the same, I guess it serves me right asking in a Sigma forum :). I'll just go to the Sigma office and look at their Sigma DPM cameras (no dealer wants to sell Sigma DPM cameras in my city except Sigma themselves). Thanks.

Incidentally, Sigma batteries are ridiculously priced online it seems. Sigma sells them to me for only USD 21, and Ricoh batteries are more expensive ! Sigma in my area also distributes Ricoh, both batteries are made by Panasonic according to Sigma/Ricoh distributor.

Hulyss Bowman

Your screen is probably defective then. As I said, the DP Merrill Screen is the same screen as the K5's screen. It is a pretty good screen. The pre-Merrill generation DP's have a poor screen though.

Your link show the ANCIENT generation of DP, not the Merrill generation.

Don't mix ancient models and new models, for the good of potential users who read the forums.

Z

zephyr2013

Your screen is probably defective then. As I said, the DP Merrill Screen is the same screen as the K5's screen. It is a pretty good screen. The pre-Merrill generation DP's have a poor screen though.

Your link show the ANCIENT generation of DP, not the Merrill generation.

Don't mix ancient models and new models, for the good of potential users who read the forums.
Ok, thanks ! We shall see what Sigma says, I will show them your post. I can use this to put pressure on them to replace mine if they insist mine is normal, when you said it is defective. It should not look at all like the one on the link, indoors and low light. It should look excellent like the Ricoh lcd image in the link, indoors in low light. At least they distribute both Sigma and Ricoh, and Pentax too, so we can put them side by side too.

I am sort of relieved that an "expert" has confirmed it is not right, mine is only "ok" in daylight, but is like the one on the link indoors in low light.

Hulyss Bowman

:chug: I'm not an expert but I do have experience with SIGMA DP and DSLR since a long time :)

Bad screen rendition can be many things before a "broken" screen. The live view on the DPs mimic your settings. So, if your WB is badly set you can have a bad rendition.

But yes, the DP Merrill screen is FAR better than the old DP model screen (by far I mean parsec ahead).

I council you to not "put pressure" on SIGMA store before being certain of a real technical fail.

Check it out wisely.

Z

zephyr2013

:chug: I'm not an expert but I do have experience with SIGMA DP and DSLR since a long time :)

Bad screen rendition can be many things before a "broken" screen. The live view on the DPs mimic your settings. So, if your WB is badly set you can have a bad rendition.

But yes, the DP Merrill screen is FAR better than the old DP model screen (by far I mean parsec ahead).

I council you to not "put pressure" on SIGMA store before being certain of a real technical fail.

Check it out wisely.

Ok, I did more reading, found another confirmation, and I don't think I need to confront Sigma anymore, although I'll still be visiting them to buy the DP3m and more batteries, and might as well ask them to explain the LCD quality.

However, I guess Sigma does not expect users to shoot in dim light anyway so it's still ok. I have several cameras and I know all about settings, so I just had to make sure the Sigma DPM LCD was not defective as it was the odd one out.

From Vierri Bottazzini, who I am sure I can trust, to quote :

"The back LCD works well and is very visible in all but the brightest light. However, when composing and focussing in low light the LCD image is very desaturated, almost to the point of going BW"

VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER'S BLOG: SIGMA DP1 & DP2: MERRILY IN VENICE