The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP Merrill color Landscapes

soboyle

Just picked up a used DP2M. Any recommended best practices for color processing in SPP?
Particularly correcting white balance and recovering highlights. Am I right in thinking I'm better off trying to recover highlight detail from the raw file in SPP before sending to 16 bit tif and lightroom? I've read that many people just batch process to tif and do all editing in lightroom, but that may leave some highlight detail behind.

emmef2

a few images taken in early April during a weekend hike on the alps:

both taken with the Sigma DP1 Merrill

biglouis

I haven't used the DP2M for some time until yesterday. I've mainly been using the A7 - I now find the DP2M too detailed and contrasty.

What do you think?

DP2M

Sony A7+CZ FE 35/2.8

The Ute

Louis

I like the Merrill version better.

Can never have too much resolution.

You can always tone down the saturation.

;)

RitterRunkel

I haven't used the DP2M for some time until yesterday. I've mainly been using the A7 - I now find the DP2M too detailed and contrasty.
I also give the DP my favor ... decreasing detail is more easy than increasing. I like the DP more in the lower half (field), the A7 gave a more dreamy sky. But you can get such a sky with a DP, too. Just lower color noise reduction, maybe increase luminance noise reduction and set fill light e.g. to -0.1. Especially color noise reduction and fill light in SPP give to much (local) contrast and detail to such cloudy skys, a tad too unnatural in most cases.

So, make a second TIFF in SPP and swap the sky - my suggestion.

Last edited:

Kofronj

Louis,

One thing that you can see the Foveon sensor do very well that CFA sensors struggle with is the 'detection' of narrow lines. It's not 'resolution' exactly, but you see how the power line in the background of the Sony 'winks out' in the middle---and you can see it more clearly in the DP2M.

I vividly remember a photo taken a long time ago (after I had acquired an SD10)---a fisherman in a canoe on a very quiet pond. The comparison was an SD10 versus a Canon (D60?). The monofilament line from the fishing pole was beautifully clear in the SD10. In the Canon image, it disappeared after about 3 feet from the rod. It was an interesting example of the different capture methodologies.

The Ute

Frankly I haven't taken a look in all threads yet :eek:

It's an awesome lot of images to browse :rolleyes:
This is where to post color Landscapes, as opposed to B and W, w/o respect to
camera, i.e. Dp1, 2, etc.

I have to admit that some folks ideas of what constitutes a "landscape" photo are very different than my own.

Happy shooting.

Looking forward to your contributions.