The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP Merrill color Landscapes

Quentin_Bargate

Columbia River Sunset

The Sigma raws can be a bit funky I'm finding. Even in neutral color setting I'm getting some strange emphasized shadow transitions in the sky even with a straight unprocessed X3F file with no adjustments. I thought I'd over processed the contrast in the clouds but that's how it is in the raw file so I'm a little perplexed.

DP2M f/11 1/4s ISO 100
Classic Foveon Sky. You can tone it down, but it can be appealing.

furtle

Classic Foveon Sky. You can tone it down, but it can be appealing.
I've recently noticed this. The camera appears to see variations in cloud cover that I cannot see. So, what can to the eye look like a grey overcast ends up being textured with shades of grey (not that sort!)

You say this is the Foveon look but is it Merrill and Quattro?

Quentin_Bargate

I've recently noticed this. The camera appears to see variations in cloud cover that I cannot see. So, what can to the eye look like a grey overcast ends up being textured with shades of grey (not that sort!)

You say this is the Foveon look but is it Merrill and Quattro?
Merrill. A Quattro would probaly blow the sky out. It their Achilles' heel.

Hulyss Bowman

Some infos for you guys, I must have provided it before but here we go :

¤ "Unlimited" shoot time with Merrill DP : ANKER3 battery via SAC5 adapter.

¤ Too contrasty clouds when shattered : You can't do anything for that apart PP the sky afterwards. That's a Merrill particularity.

¤ Quattro blowing : Like the other AFE DP/SD so DP1x/DP2x/SD15 >> it blow highlights but also wavelengths. Flower shoot is just complicated (you take the camera and throw it at the river). Even when you set the quattro with tiny focussing point and spot, and EVEN IF HISTOGRAM say it's ok. The Histogram on the Quattro is wrong. Take a tripod, show histogram, expose something to the right at the limit of blowing the wind, you will notice blown thing in the final file EVEN if the histogram say no.

¤ Relativity between foveon and film : Film is FAR easier. Look like nobody shoot film any-more. Film is easier to expose in every situations than any digital devices apart latest sony FF. Ektar 100 for example, Superia 200 ...

Hope this help :)

@ Sir GrahamWelland:

You will notice the unlimited amount of time you can spend on a Merrill file to look "more normal". With years I developed scripts for that in PS so it take few seconds now but foveon files should be studied over a long period to be tamed. Can go from one week to one year; sometimes never (Dpreview sigma forum for example: here we reach decades of crap).

Last edited: