The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No thread for Ricoh GR?

JSRockit

I would love to see Ricoh expand the GR line... not a fan of add on lenses that defeat the purpose of the camera... which is to be small. Looks like Pentax will be releasing its own compact P&S style APS-C camera. Hopefully, they learn something from Ricoh. Will be interesting to see the rumored Sony RX10 too.

J

JohnW

I'm very drawn but will likely pass for now. I compared dimensions with my Nex 7 and the Nex is not much bigger. I think I'll try that new 20mm pancake lens instead. For street I really enjoy waist-level shooting with a wide lens and the Nex flip screen.

John

Godfrey

I would love to see Ricoh expand the GR line... not a fan of add on lenses that defeat the purpose of the camera... which is to be small. Looks like Pentax will be releasing its own compact P&S style APS-C camera. Hopefully, they learn something from Ricoh. Will be interesting to see the rumored Sony RX10 too.
Since Pentax *is* Ricoh, I would hope tha they learn something from one another ... ;-)

G

Godfrey

I cannot help but think that GR is the MX-1 killer. I know I know, zoom vs prime, but looks like Ricoh and Pentax developed GR and MX-1 separately without knowing what the other is doing...

And regarding size:

Compact Camera Meter
It's quite likely the MX-1 was in development before Ricoh acquired Pentax, and the same for the GR. Both show unmistakeable signs of their different parentage. What I'm waiting to see is the first Pentax Ricoh product which was developed starting after Ricoh bought Pentax.

G

Tim

and the same for the GR.
I disagree, there is both Pentax and Ricoh in the GR. It looks like a Ricoh GRD but has the same sensor as the K5II, and the TAv mode as the Pentax line. Call it a crossover perhaps, the camera design was started by Ricoh but there is a lot of Pentax tech and influence in there.

Godfrey

Yep, the TAv mode is certainly a Pentax influence.
I agree ... didn't realize that was in there. So that seems to indicate the GR was in development early enough in the cycle that some of the Pentax input could make it into the product.

Otherwise, the two cameras are so different in overall aesthetic and design meme that they reflect the two different parent companies strongly.

G

heymatthew

I pre-ordered which I never do. I just couldn't resist. It's (hopefully) exactly the camera I've been looking for.

I've had the GRDIII (twice) and the GRD Original. I've also had film GR's and loved them all. In my opinion, they fit my hand, are ergonomically correct and provide a very specific image quality that I have yet to find elsewhere (okay, okay, not so much the film ones, but I could get the look I wanted out of those with specific films).

I'm curious to see the size as compared to the current GRD lineup. I'm also curious to see how it compares IQ-wise to the A12 50 GXR Module, which I just got a couple of days ago (I know... I'm late to the party).

Mikec

I sold my GRD IV not too long ago. But I'm weak and got seduced by the GR. I have the GR on pre-order. Although B&H still shows 'Expected availability: May 15 2013', I don't expect to see the camera next week. It would be a nice surprise though.

I'm interested in how the hyperfocal quick shooting will work out. For sunny day, I can get faster than 1/500 shutter speed.

GRD IV would have been f/8 ISO 400 (focused at ~1m)
GR would be f/16 ISO 1600 (focused at ~1.5m)

heymatthew

Any updates on the US release date?
B&H says an estimated arrival of 5/15 on their website. They're usually pretty spot-on with estimates. I hope they're right. I'm going to Party in the Park in Atlanta on 5/18 and would LOVE to take it with me...

JSRockit

Yeah, I know what B&H says... I've heard as early as the 10th. However, note that B&H is closed on the 15th...

"Our SuperStore and Offices will be closing early on Tuesday, May 14th at 2:00PM EDT and remain closed on Wednesday & Thursday, May 15th & 16th. We will reopen on Friday, May 17th at 9:00AM EDT."

Kind of lame... so even if it comes on the 15th, it won't be shipped until the 17th and will arrive at the earliest on Monday.