The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No thread for Ricoh GR?

OlliL

Since I'm a "long time" GR1, GR10 and GRD user, I'm quite excited about this (not yet) announcement. If the camera lives up my expectation, I'll sure be getting one mid-term.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I will be getting one. I have this sensor in my Pentax Klls and Ricoh GXR A16 Zoom module - it is really good.
But now folks are going to have to decide on which "look" they want. The depth of field will be quite different to other GR Digitals. I personally like the way a small sensor draws.

Keith

OlliL

I usually have my film GRs loaded with ISO400 film. DOF is plenty in almost every situation, but I agree, that it isn't comparable to the tiny sensors used in the GRDs. With the original GRD you could easily set it to F2.4 and snap focus and not worry about AF at all.

JSRockit

Good point regarding DOF. However, just put it on ISO 3200 and crank up the aperture. It's still a 18mm lens and this will have a few stops better range ISO wise. Shouldn't be too hard to get wide DOF.

For me, I never could get into the GRD because it was 4:3 aspect in RAW and I didn't like the small sensor look. Now, for me, this is the first true GR digital. Very excited to get one.

Thorkil

I'll be getting one as soon as it comes. I guess its the one I have been longing for. Just bought a Pentax K-30, but not supported by C1, then a K-5, but have to reinstall from the bottom a win8 64bit, for the C17, sigh....
But I could have spared myself with the new V'er. Nothing compare in size and simplicity, (allthough suffient complicated in a nice way).
Thorkil

Tim

I'll be getting one as soon as it comes. I guess its the one I have been longing for.
+1 one for me on both counts. I will be getting one ASAP. I thought about posting the news of it here but waited to see if anyone else showed interest.

I really do think its a milestone camera, small, very portable and now with APS-C IQ. Please Don't compare it to an X100/s in any way. While I like the X100 and had one for a while its a lump compared the the GRD series. I have all versions of GRD and the GRD IV goes with me even if my OM-D or DP2M are as well. IMO the only other camera to come close in size and IQ as well is the DP1/2 (non Merrills) - but we know the shortcomings there.

The depth of field will be quite different to other GR Digitals. I personally like the way a small sensor draws.
Keith
I do agree this will be a different beast with the larger sensor, I will be keeping my other GRDees. I am curious to how well the IQ stands up with a crop to 35mm equiv FOV will work (say about 10Mpixel res?). If the crop is ok, that gives you a... 21mm (with adapter lens), 28 and 35mm all in one small package. Whats not to like? Any shortcomings the camera has I will live with, I think it will perform very well though. I once took a GRD II away on a non photography holiday as my only camera and only a few times missed a longer focal length.

I'd almost prefer they don't make it in white so I don't have to choose between black or white like we did with the GRD IV!! :facesmack:

PS: just look at my avatar. :poke::thumbs:

PPS: Should this forum have a section for large sensor compacts? - I guess "other" cameras is it for now!

Last edited:

JSRockit

I pre-ordered today... I couldn't resist. I'll use it along with my X100s and X-Pro1 w/ 35mm lens. I guess I like fixed lens cameras generally. I only really use 28mm, 35mm, and 50mm anyway. All three of these can fit in one small bag.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Y
....but how can one put it over the edge in B&W when the sensor goes to 25.000...
Thorkil
. . . by shooting film. That's what I do. Loan up my GR1s with Arista 400 and process in diafine, then scan. It's gives a more believable gritty look than my grdiv.
Don't spend too much time doing this, or you will get hooked.

Keith

Thorkil

. . . by shooting film. That's what I do. Loan up my GR1s with Arista 400 and process in diafine, then scan. It's gives a more believable gritty look than my grdiv.
Don't spend too much time doing this, or you will get hooked.

Keith
Hhmmm....I would actually love to, Keith! :)....did it a lot when I was Young in my little lab in our wardrobe, very soft paper very soft contrasts and very grainy, dreamy...
but my learning curve is rather flat and long. And scanner ? Just a Plustech 8200I AI or what?....hhmm tempting, and looking over the left shoulder I can see the M6 that has felt a bit lonely for some years now, and the 21 Elmarit is just okay for my part......
Thorkil

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hhmmm....I would actually love to, Keith! :)....did it a lot when I was Young in my little lab in our wardrobe, very soft paper very soft contrasts and very grainy, dreamy...
but my learning curve is rather flat and long. And scanner ? Just a Plustech 8200I AI or what?....hhmm tempting, and looking over the left shoulder I can see the M6 that has felt a bit lonely for some years now, and the 21 Elmarit is just okay for my part......
Thorkil
I've reduced it to a science of minimalism. Diafine is very simple and allows a huge lattitude. It lasts forever, doesn't care about temperature or much about time and gives great results for scanning. Works for any film I've thrown at it, but best with Tri-x or equivalent. If you are not familiar with it do a google and read what folks are saying.
For 35mm I have been scanning for a couple of years with a Plustek 7600i. I recently picked up a used Minolta 5400 for $160, which is a winner. I do medium format on my Epson v7500.
The excitement is in the cameras. I picked up a Kodak Bantam flash the other day for $9.99 and it has to be one of the cutest pieces of mechanical engineering in my collection.
But I shoot a lot with the Ricoh GR1s which is the same size as the new GR, but is full frame with an optical viewfinder thrown in.

Keith

Michiel Schierbeek

I've reduced it to a science of minimalism. Diafine is very simple and allows a huge lattitude. It lasts forever, doesn't care about temperature or much about time and gives great results for scanning. Works for any film I've thrown at it, but best with Tri-x or equivalent. If you are not familiar with it do a google and read what folks are saying.
For 35mm I have been scanning for a couple of years with a Plustek 7600i. I recently picked up a used Minolta 5400 for $160, which is a winner. I do medium format on my Epson v7500.
The excitement is in the cameras. I picked up a Kodak Bantam flash the other day for $9.99 and it has to be one of the cutest pieces of mechanical engineering in my collection.
But I shoot a lot with the Ricoh GR1s which is the same size as the new GR, but is full frame with an optical viewfinder thrown in.

Keith

Hi Keith, I was wondering what you were doing lately :) Looks like fun.

All the best, Michiel

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hey, Michiel.

Don't give up hope on me. This winter has only been good for battening down the hatches and ordering up old cameras from e-bay.
We also sold our small weekend place in the city which cramped my style a bit. That will soon change though.
I've been lurking!

cheers

Keith

Thorkil

Thorkil, you are something else! :)

Keith
Thanks Keith, that, I allow myself to take as a compliment :) (the flat was small but the wardrobe, thanks God, was big...)
Thorkil
PS thanks for hints and advices!
PPS minimalism is a relief (!)

Godfrey

The new GR looks to be a fine camera. (My old GR1 is still with the friend I sold it to, still works and is working; it was a fine little beast, although I preferred my Rollei 35S.)

That said, I'm giving the GR a pass. I have so many cameras now it's absurd to think about buying yet another one, particularly of this type since to me it simply replicates the GXR+A12 28, X2 and GXR+A12 50 that I already find to be fine for my purposes, when I get a chance to use them.

I prefer 35 to 50 mm EFoV anyway.

dreamsartart

Placed a pre-order on a Ricoh GR a couple days ago. This is very unusual for me, not waiting for the hands on reviews, user impressions and final firmware results. From the pre-reviews, and the hands-on videos I've looked at it just seems to be the camera to have, so I jumped.

Great size without sacrificing handling, APS-C sensor, lots of custom set-up options and on the camera with manual controls, menus that seem logical, nice screen, great lens, now if it all comes together and the files are as good as we hope… wondering if the 12 bit will be the weak link.

This may be the camera to replace my D-LUX 4 (thought it would be a new D-LUX 6), but with a 'move the feet' zoom lens. I like the idea its a fixed 28, with an optional 21, and if I need to crop to 35 or so the large sensor should do the job still.

Would have been nice to have an EVF (kind of defeats the size thing though), but I'll put my Voigtlander mini 35/28 on top with the option to turn the screen off (can set the aperture and or shutter speed and pre-focus distance and its almost like film ;-).

Ricoh cameras have a very good reputation, and they keep up on the firmware updates. I could wait for the next best thing, but hoping its here [well almost, in a couple weeks].