The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

so am I a heretic...

nostatic

...if I admit that while I understand and appreciate the glorious Leica glass and certainly love the aesthetic of the M8 and previous analog versions, I just don't like using one.

Heresy I know...that's why I posted it here and not on the M8 forum ;)

Now to eagerly await a new 31mm ltd Pentax prime.

jonoslack

I believe Harpo was a Heretic TOO....:D

Happy Holidays-H
No he wasn't:D
he was cuddly and funny (and just a bit scary) - just like nostatic. Only the sort of person that doesn't find utube jokes funny would deny his right to dislike M cameras.:)

Me? I don't much like using Great Big Cameras!

helenhill

No he wasn't:D
he was cuddly and funny (and just a bit scary) - just like nostatic. Only the sort of person that doesn't find utube jokes funny would deny his right to dislike M cameras.:)

Me? I don't much like using Great Big Cameras!
Harpo was a Heretic
he was his OWN religion
& didn't follow any Rules.....maybe like Nostatic & I ....:ROTFL:

though I DO AGREE he was cuddly & funny

xo -H

nostatic

well, I am funny and my g/f likely would label me as cuddly...when I can sit still. As for scary, read my new book and you'll see some of that as well: http://www.lulu.com/content/5393691

As for the size thing (it always comes down to size, doesn't it?), my Pentax K20d with a ltd prime really isn't much bigger (if at all) than an M8. And it certainly is in the same weight ballpark, and perhaps a bit lighter. I'm actually always a bit surprised at how big the M8 is. Or maybe I'm just used to small...ummm.....cameras. Yeah, that's it...

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Nostatic, I tried to download your book, but I kept getting an error. Any idea why?

I'm glad that you are happy with the K20D. It isn't necessary for everyone to love the M8 (but it is hard to understand why they wouldn't.) Merry Christmas.

LCT

...while I understand and appreciate the glorious Leica glass and certainly love the aesthetic of the M8 and previous analog versions, I just don't like using one...
Don't like the M8 either but i do like rangefinders. Looks like you feel better with small DSLRs don't you. Nothing heretic in that. I dream of a Leica R10 as small as my good old R4s.

nostatic

Nostatic, I tried to download your book, but I kept getting an error. Any idea why?

I'm glad that you are happy with the K20D. It isn't necessary for everyone to love the M8 (but it is hard to understand why they wouldn't.) Merry Christmas.
Hmm, odd about the download. I put a copy on my site:

http://nostatic.com/8slices.pdf

I do love the M8, I just don't love using it ;) It likely has more to do with me not having used an RF camera in the past and my impatience.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I dream of a Leica R10 as small as my good old R4s.
I saw a Leica R4 on the shelf at a photo store a couple of weeks ago and was astonished by how tiny it was. I said to the dealer that it seemed about the same size as an Olympus OM. From your remark, I gather that it was a great camera to use.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I almost moved this thread to the M forum :D

Fact is, the rangefinder is clearly *NOT* for everybody so no heresy here. If it works for you, it can be the greatest thing since sliced bread; if it doesn't, then it can be a nightmare...

For my part, while I don't particularly enjoy using a camera that is mostly "manual," some of my best images of all time have come from it. Go figure... :rolleyes:

nostatic

I almost moved this thread to the M forum :D
tar, meet feather, meet nostatic :p

I know what you mean. Sometimes a tool seems like it is getting in the way when instead it is making you think/act differently and giving you another perspective. Or putting you outside your comfort zone. I think there is a tipping point though where it becomes enough of a distraction that it takes you out of the moment. Its all about balance (that Buddhist thing...)