The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

Maggie O

Maggie, that is (or rather was) one of my favourite lenses on my M8 - I assume it is the first version CV 50/1.5?

When they announced the new one I was almost tempted to go back to Leica just for that lens.

Nice photograph, and nice memory for me.

LouisB
Thank you, Louis! The lens is the new M-mount ASPH 50/1.5 and it's utterly brilliant.

Rich M

Nice work, Rich!
Thank you Maggie......much appreciated.

Nice shots. This is a very wise decision I think, Rich. I still think it's a refreshing relief to go simple. I think we all are hit from the society's Development, to think that what you have isn't enough, and we all are getting spoiled by the thought, that this new camera, this new lense, this new... almost will save our life, make us to be more artistic than ever, but perhaps its the other way around. We never settle down and relax with what we have, and exploit it out in the edges, because before that happen, then something new comes around and distract our mind (and the creativeness of our soul, as the biggest issue). What seems to be a freedom (of choices) seems instead to be mental jail of distraction and unsatisfaction of (artificial created) needs.
And the GR has the capacity to be a very strong Tool it feels like. And for us, (at least for men..at the most) we just have turn our back towards "the new and bigger car/gun-syndrome", and instead let the smile grow that we can carry around such a strong, and though such a small tool, in our pocket or in the belt, ready for the real life out there, patiently waiting for us.
Thorkil
Thanks Thorkil.....your thoughts mirror my own (although much better stated). I have been slowly divesting myself of gear and started to shoot some film also.

Thanks, also, to Ricoh for producing such a capable device.

R

biglouis

^^^^ massively impressed with the tonal qualities of these photographs, Rich ^^^

One from today in Camden Town.

Rich M

^^^^ massively impressed with the tonal qualities of these photographs, Rich ^^^
Louis.....it shows in your photos too.....there is a certain "latitude" that this sensor/lens combination has, so different than the more clinical Merrill's. The Merrill's are indifferent to PP and seem (in my limited ability to explain) brittle.

The GR files have much more fluidity and a certain chameleon-like quality to respond to just about any way you push them in post. They don't disintegrate at all.

R

biglouis

Rich, I agree with your analysis. Here is another from yesterday which again shows off the virtues of the GR sensor.

Rich M

Rich, I agree with your analysis. Here is another from yesterday which again shows off the virtues of the GR sensor.

Louis, yes.....that is exactly what I am talking about. Your photo has a presence and subtle glow that is not from diffusion. The image is appropriately sharp, but not brittle. The colors are real....but hint at depth. It has a film-like quality without the grain.
Understanding that the day was overcast, with less DR than other days, there are no blowouts or shadow blockages.....which tells us the evaluative metering is pretty darn good (I think Ricoh is ahead of the game here....metering has always been appropriate in the GDR/GXR evolution....and now looks to evolve further in the new K-3).

I could go on and on......but, thank you for sharing.

R

J

JohnW

That is excellent, Louis. I like the subtle colors and color shading. I'm very curious about those structures on the right. Care to elaborate?

John

Last edited:

biglouis

Rich and John, thanks for the comments.

Rich, I should make clear that I do post process my photographs (obviously) and that the result is a mixture of LR and NIK ColourFX. That said, I aim to try and recreate in my mind the tones I recall. I think the strength of the GR is the malleability of the RAW files.

On a completely tangential thought: do you think that the Pentax cameras might be the same?

John, the architect of the buildings on the right were designed by Sir Nicholas Grimshaw, as part of a site which also includes a Sainsbury's Supermarket. Both the supermarket and the flats are deemed to be of architectural significance and they are certainly very distinctive. Actually, now you come to mention it I think I may have a go at photographing the supermarket!

Louis

J

JohnW

Rich and John, thanks for the comments.

Rich, I should make clear that I do post process my photographs (obviously) and that the result is a mixture of LR and NIK ColourFX. That said, I aim to try and recreate in my mind the tones I recall. I think the strength of the GR is the malleability of the RAW files.

On a completely tangential thought: do you think that the Pentax cameras might be the same?

John, the architect of the buildings on the right were designed by Sir Nicholas Grimshaw, as part of a site which also includes a Sainsbury's Supermarket. Both the supermarket and the flats are deemed to be of architectural significance and they are certainly very distinctive. Actually, now you come to mention it I think I may have a go at photographing the supermarket!

Louis
So they are residences? Amazing to see how folks live around the world. Forums are so great for that.

I have the same question about Pentax cameras. I have zero interest in a DSLR. But if the new K3 renders like the GR, I would be open. I'm that taken with this camera.

John

I am sure we all take some pretty obtruse things the day we unbox a new camera. Here is a shot when I was trying out the Clearviewer on my new GR.

Quite why that book is on the dining table I am not too sure - I think it is on its way to the charity shop. No offence meant Craig - a fun read but not one for my library!

ISO 2200. Do you remember when we used to push process 1600 neg film and look for the image hidden under the grain?

Tony