The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

biglouis

Another today at Whitechapel station in the east end of London. I like the dynamic range of this sensor.

biglouis

How would you say it's image quality compares w the DP2 Merrill ?
Ute, I am going to do some comparisons, especially if I can get back up to the top of Primrose Hill in London. So far, the DP2M is the only camera to resolve very fine detail of the London skyline, not even my M8 with my 35/1.4 ASPH (both long gone) could do that, or my RX1.

But so far I would say I am surprised at how sharp the images are at 100%. Perhaps because of the lack of an AA filter?

LouisB

J

JohnW

thorkil, I really like what you've been doing with the tonality of your B&Ws, with the beautiful blacks and rich mid-tones. Very inspiring and instructive. - John

Last edited:

biglouis

Yes - it shows, Louis. You are doing some nice stuff with it. I am intrigued by the color images, are you doing any different processing on them than your normal workflow?

Keith
I am using the Nik Suite quite regularly, especially colourFX. I'm hardly using PS since updating to LR5 and Nik. I do like an oversaturated look for a lot of urban images - especially if they include lurid street art or clashes of colour.

I tend to judge a camera by the ability to process the RAW images and this camera produces imho excellent RAW files.

Thanks for the comment.

LouisB

J

JohnW

This little camera is really beginning to impress me.

Very nice, Louis. And I agree about the camera. I've owned many digital cameras, but this lens/sensor pairing has a distinctive look that I find especially appealing. Film folks use the term "organic," but I feel it applies here as well.

I also have a Nex 7 system, and while its files certainly out-resolve and would probably be considered technically superior, the GR files have a character that I find more pleasing. I only wish I could find a comparable solution for longer focal lengths.

John

J

JohnW

I like the last one especially, Maggie. What a great face. Also enjoyed your travelogue. I admire the way you shoot so freely. I've gotta loosen up.

John

Maggie O

I like the last one especially, Maggie. What a great face. Also enjoyed your travelogue. I admire the way you shoot so freely. I've gotta loosen up.

John
Thank you, John!

You know, the GR has really loosened up my shooting style. There's something about it, the size, the interface, the files, that I just trust and it lets me just sort of rip.