The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

J

JohnW

Nice, thorkil. That's my thinking too. An abstract from the morning walk. It's close to 0°F here and not many humanoids in sight. But feeling the need to shoot SOMETHING.

John

Last edited:
J

JohnW

Actually, I did manage to find one person after a long, cold wait at this Freemason mural.

BTW, there's an Edouard Boubat quote on my blog today that I think some of you may enjoy. And check out the google images link at the end of the post. I really enjoy his work.

John

Thorkil

Nice Pictures John! And very interesting with Edouard Boubat (!!)...and your Book too (!!!)...I'll have to catch up on that later on....now back to the very booring Work (no more jump-over-actions, looking sideways...at least I'll try, not to)
thorkil

J

JohnW

ha, ha...just fine, John!
thorkil
(PS I guess it's a trailer for the A7R)
Just a little fun.

Dare I ask where you stand on that particular Sony device - from one GR fan to another? Honestly, I now look for GR-like B&W rendering in all the new cameras, and I just don't see it there. I'm considering renting a K-3 and 50 equivalent, thinking that may get me closer. No question, I'm infatuated with the character of these files.

John

Thorkil

Just a little fun.

Dare I ask where you stand on that particular Sony device - from one GR fan to another? Honestly, I now look for GR-like B&W rendering in all the new cameras, and I just don't see it there. I'm considering renting a K-3 and 50 equivalent, thinking that may get me closer. No question, I'm infatuated with the character of these files.

John
Hi John
I'm not able to/or willing perhaps, to be patient enough for handling an A7R (got frustrated with the Nikon D800E), while I also have to use it at my Work and handheld all the time. It will be way too challenging to get the best result out of it. I have to rely on more forgiveness in a sensor. I have a Pentax K-30 and K-5II that I'm going to sell, while comparing with Nikon's matrix-metering-system, in difficult light situations they couldn’t deliver what Nikon could, fast and precise, no competition in that area I think. Colours perhaps slightly better than Nikon, but not much.
But colours on Nikon are a bit uninspiring. Perhaps Sony colours are a bit overloaded, but they are more inspiring, but I don't know if it is a pop-effect one perhaps will get tired of. So if I go Sony, it will just be the A7, and native lenses, because life will perhaps get to short for me, just to rely on manual focusing, that I will leave to the experts. So the deal would here be, getting better colours with the Price of the effectiveness of Nikon
Don't know anything about B&W's though.
Handling is peculiar, while split seconds in the right time will mean a lot, and the psychological effect does mean a lot, getting the feeling of connection. The best connecting with cameras I've got from the Leica M6, handling, the Nikon D3(but not for the colours and not for size!)(the Hasselblad SWC is for special and seldom use) and the GR.
But if Sony fail, trying it, then I’ll go back to Nikon with a D610 (or a Df...but too expensive for me perhaps, very back leaned and "rich" sensor...hhmm).
:)
best
thorkil

J

JohnW

Well, I decided I need to see for myself what this Sony thing is all about, so I just ordered an A7. With Amazon's amazing holiday return policy, why not?

Anyway, enough Sony. Back to the remarkable GR. It does tripods too.

John

Thorkil

very nice tripod-picture :)
Well, good, then I can have a first-hand impression from a dedicated GR-user.
Can't wait :)
thorkil

ps. but the B&W capacity from the GR could be hard to beat (Ming Thein claimed it on level with the Leica MM)

kuujinbo

Fog, overcast, and rain all week. Even had a bit of snow this morning. Saw about 30 minutes or so of sunlight this week...

J

JohnW

From this morning's walk downtown. I have photographed this lifeguard chair so many times, with so many cameras. But this is the first with the GR and its lovely rendering – at least to my eye – of upper gray tones. The chair keeps drawing me back season after season, year after year. Why? Who knows? Here's an old blog post about it, with perhaps as good an explanation as any, by Robert Adams.

John

Last edited: