The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

J

JohnW

Thanks, thorkil. Indian weddings are a visual treat. I've seen many grooms ride to the altar on horseback and once even an elephant, but never down a street like Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago. What fun. The first one is my daughter in a sari, as one of the bridesmaids.

John.

biglouis

I've been shooting with the X-Pro1 a lot lately. But I must say, every time I go back to the GR, it feels like coming home.
Amen, to that brother. Looking back over the last year the GR has produced some of my best shots.

LouisB

JohnW said:
I've been shooting with the X-Pro1 a lot lately. But I must say, every time I go back to the GR, it feels like coming home.
Amen, to that brother. Looking back over the last year the GR has produced some of my best shots.

LouisB
+1

For me it is Ricoh GR and Sigma DPM, which is currently my best combo.

I just bought a Fuji X-E1 with the XF18-55 Zoom, but images seem not to come close to the "look" I get with the images of these two P&S...

Thorkil

Well, finally back in Italy, our table at our Osteria in Verona nearby the river.
Girls are tired but its always such a relaxation to drop down in a chair at this place, feeling at home...time's just passing by

I can't tell how much I love these non-pp jpeg's out of cam...just like returning back in time, in a the calm way, hit the trigger or don't..

thorkil

Thorkil

Every time I scroll to the bottom of this page to see what's new, I find myself pausing on this photo. Really enjoy it for some reason.

John
Yes, I think its a sort of ancient russian greating way back from time, from a mixture of doctor Zivago and the Dostojevski spirit

thorkil

J

JohnW

After working at home for about ten years, I just took a technical writing contract in downtown Chicago. So I'm now a daily commuter, something I've never done before. For this suburban home-body, it's so different and a treat visually. I've been shooting a lot in a very loose style in and around the train station and hope to do more.

John

Last edited:

Thorkil

Yes John it's a threat getting out :) (have been working at home almost in 30 years, well 15 of them around the corner) but you seems to cope well with the dangers :) ... and welcome to the loose style by the way, which you also handle well. At least the loose style can give you a mental kick (a different mixture of adrenalin, creative-, luck by wire- and hurricane-kick and the visual remainings in the mind after such a tour are definitely stronger), sort of sticking your head out in the turbulence, in the midst of life...
thorkil

J

JohnW

Thanks, thorkil. I know what you mean about the creative rush and "luck by wire." Very energizing compared to the more calculating, deliberate approach.

Lots of rejects, but that's OK. It reminds me of writing a first draft, where you breeze through freely and without judgement, knowing most won't be usable but a few gems will survive and form the basis of the work. Unlike writing, though, you can't rewrite.

I've traveled a lot and often head to the city on weekends to shoot. But going every day and becoming part of the commuter culture has been fascinating and rewarding. What have I been missing all these years?!

John

Thorkil

Yes I know the feeling John. Living about 5 miles from the center of Copenhagen I almost should be punished for using it that little. And everytime I wonder where all the years have gone without taking care of my city
But beware, to keep seeing the light on your way at work.
I reminds me of the the first times I went alone to Venice, people standing on their way to work in the Vapporetta (waterbus) down Canal Grand, reading newspapers while they were passing perhaps 100 of the mos remarkable buildings the world has ever seen(even though its in another way, its the same princip)....the wonders are often just around our feets, but do we notice, when we get used to it? We just have to!
thorkil
Ps. while walking in Venice with Hasselblad and tripod, is something, the "luck by wire" is definetly something else, and the ultimate experience is when you feel you just catch a shadow of the ghost of life, if the picture create something else than the picture itself, so to speak, that is sort of the greatest challenge of all, catching the spirit, and then its funny and sometimes rewarding trying too.

Last edited:
J

JohnW

I'm now reading Dan Brown's book, Inferno, which is mostly set in Venice and definitely makes me want to visit there. I've been many places, but Venice sounds unique.

Here's another from yesterday, on my way home. It's amazing what occurs just outside the train station doors, as this and that group gather to vie for commuter attention. In this case an absolutely angelic offering of devotional hymns.

It's great to have the little GR handy for whatever comes next.

John

Maggie O

Well, finally back in Italy, our table at our Osteria in Verona nearby the river.
Girls are tired but its always such a relaxation to drop down in a chair at this place, feeling at home...time's just passing by

I can't tell how much I love these non-pp jpeg's out of cam...just like returning back in time, in a the calm way, hit the trigger or don't..

thorkil
I love this one.