The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

J

JohnW

One from my office.

I just switched website hosting services and unfortunately lost all my GetDPI image links. I thought I'd try posting from Flickr. I don't use it much but it's probably a better resource for forum pics.

Incidentally, the new site has a "Commute" gallery that, with a few X-Trans exceptions, was shot with the GR: www.johnwolf.net/commute

John

Lainer

I just jumped onboard and hit the "buy" button on the Ricoh GR. I was debating between the Sigma DP1M and this camera. I already have the Sigma DP2M and DP3M, and wanted to get that 28mm lens. I will try out the Ricoh which seems to be more versatile, though not Foveon sensor. Still, the pictures i've seen here are quite lovely. I will try my first Ricoh and if I love it, I'll keep it. if not, it goes back for the Sigma DP1M. Is there a viewfinder for this camera? Anyone use it to is it a waste of time?

Thorkil

welcome!...for the time being, I only use the GR. The Sigma Foveon sensors make impressive pictures, but some lokes a bit harsh to me. Sometimes I miss my Nikons(just a little D610 could be nice sometimes...but) and to see what you get, but I dont miss the size and the bulk. I might end up with a Sony A7S and a 16-35/4....but actually I reallý dont know(and that electronic viewfinderthing....I don't know...but Barry (and the others) is the expert/s(but he also do spend some hefty time pp...which I woul'nt)...its actually also a bit of a bulk
(a GR with a more sensitive sensor...and just a little tiny viewfinder...could have been nice...but you can't have it all in this world)(but welcome...and you might not waste your time :) )
thorkil

J

JohnW

Lainer, welcome, and no, there is no digital VF for the GR. Of course, many OVF options.

I think one must be open to what this camera is. Besides superb image quality and among the best B&W output available, it invites a go-everywhere, free, spontaneous style of shooting. A reviewer once called it a sketchbook camera, and that's been my experience. Good luck with it and post some pics.

John

J

JohnW

So thorkil, are you GR only now? Sometimes I think I would get along fine that way and the thought of it actually seems very attractive.

John

Thorkil

Yes John, it’s only the GR, and the camera at my work as an architect too, but there it would be nice to have a wider option (I always forget to put the 21mm adapter in the pocket) and a higher iso ability too (the A7S+16-35 could do but it doesn't fit in the belt). So I just put it in the belt when I go out, and there it doesn't do much harm if I don't use it (unlike a Nikon, Pentax, Sony A7 etc.). But I should practice a lot more than I do, I only feel at 60% level :), but there has been so much work now after some very very "slim" years.
So 2 Pentax untouched on the shelf, together with a untouched M6 and Hasselblad etc., but Nikon sold (but boy that Nikon D3 was effective, but perhaps too easy and effective (and way too heavy) to catch my deep interest, very peculiar, and full of contradictions, once away you sometimes miss it a lot). If only a M9 could go to 25.000 iso... that could change my mind.... :)..and be my definitive love (but lenses etc. are too expensive, and I just want to go out with only one lens)
Yes, it’s certainly is like a sketchbook, the GR, just for impressions from the "real life", but its also a bit challenging compared with a Nikon "auto-gun"
Thorkil

biglouis

Still my 'go to' camera when I want high quality in a tiny package.

Outside The Royal London Hospital, Dawn, December.

biglouis

biglouis, very impressive!:clap:
Kameleo, I meant to comment on the 'angels' photograph. Excellent. So heartwarming. And another good exemplar of what can be achieved when the photographer and camera come together.

Yes John, it’s only the GR, and the camera at my work as an architect too,
I once posted a comment about the GR on my Facebook page about how good the camera was compared to many others. My wife saw it and suggested I sell my other kit! But seriously, if I had to dispose of my kit this is the camera I would keep. It is amazing how versatile a fixed lens camera can be.

LouisB

pophoto

Hi, I was gonna photo dump here, but thought it'll be too ridiculous! :p

Just got back from a trip to Disney World, I took with me the Sony A7 and A7s and lenses, ended up just using Ricoh GR! It was my first time using it and I have to say I loved it. The quality from this small little camera is impressive, most of the photos here are with one handed operation, since my other hand was on the stroller with my little girl, while my wife was left mostly chasing after my son!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80888130@N00/with/15853024618/

Enjoy!
Po