The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

J

JohnW

thorkil, are you familiar with the work of Shomei Tomatsu? I think you would enjoy it. One of my favorite Japnese photographers. A great writer, too, who often combines words and pictures.

John

Thorkil

John, no I don't know him (I presume its a he..:) ). I will ha to check him out then. The last years I am looking at fewer and fewer Photographs, apart from here naturally...well I missed a Friedländer exhibition in Copenhagen which I regret, and if there would be a larger exhibition of Vivian Maiers photo I would certainly go, or even ride to the other end of Denmark (which is rather small). Else its only the above mentioned Kirsten Klein who are able to get me out for longer driving, while her photos have to be seen in real life, while some of them are printed on peculiar paper with peculiar techniques (apart from that I would have liked to make my own homepage for philosophical word, and some pictures....but time and laziness, you know, and there would be too many words about society etc...). By the way I really like your homepage(!).
I will take a look at the Japanese a bit later on, just have to write some working-words for now.
Thorkil

Thorkil

thorkil, are you familiar with the work of Shomei Tomatsu? I think you would enjoy it. One of my favorite Japnese photographers. A great writer, too, who often combines words and pictures.

John
Hi again, John. Very strong and very unconventional pictures. Yes some of the unnormal are talking with ones mind. The strange and strong thing can be, when you feel the force by the photographer, and you feel that conventions step back for the mental movement and energy by the photographer and the instant situation, not only the decisive moment itself, but creating the vision and movement in the picture, not in the picture itself but in the way it is able move around with some peoples inner visions, dreams or unknown thoughts that the persons are unaware is puzzling and floating around somewhere deep inside or at the backside of their brain....and are speaking softly or strongly, hard or soft, romantic or rough with those undefined things swimming around between our brain cells, when that occur, sharpness is not the case, composition neither, or perhaps a strange combination together with movement, but solely movement at the mental level...then it can become true art
thorkil

J

JohnW

Hi again, John. Very strong and very unconventional pictures. Yes some of the unnormal are talking with ones mind. The strange and strong thing can be, when you feel the force by the photographer, and you feel that conventions step back for the mental movement and energy by the photographer and the instant situation, not only the decisive moment itself, but creating the vision and movement in the picture, not in the picture itself but in the way it is able move around with some peoples inner visions, dreams or unknown thoughts that the persons are unaware is puzzling and floating around somewhere deep inside or at the backside of their brain....and are speaking softly or strongly, hard or soft, romantic or rough with those undefined things swimming around between our brain cells, when that occur, sharpness is not the case, composition neither, or perhaps a strange combination together with movement, but solely movement at the mental level...then it can become true art
thorkil
Glad you enjoyed his work. I'm lucky to live near the Chicago Art Institute, which has a strong commitment to photography. I saw a Tomatsu show there recently and was very moved by his images and writing. Lots of great photographers come through there and their permanent collection is extensive. But Tomatsu really stood out.

I relate very much to this quote of his that was at the show:

"Can we consider photographs to be similar to words? Even if you pile up a lot of single pictures, you can’t restrict the meanings of the pictures, can you? For me, the work is not connecting photograph and photograph, but connecting photograph and text. Putting together pictures with pictures, the aim is not to stop them from speaking, but to increase their speech."​

I know many folks say one should have very broad exposure to the work of others, but there are a handful of photographers I deeply admire, and I tend to view their work over and over. He is one of them.

John

J

JohnW

I've photographed this old church from the train window many times on my way to work. The scaffolding around the spires is intricate and amazing. I thought today's blowing snow and dirty window made for a particularly nice effect.

Thorkil

very nice pictures John! and the church is fine, normally one would aim for more light in the sky, more contrast etc., but by this way, together with the movement, it hit something else, something defined yet undefined, like a short hasty glimpse in a dream...difficult to catch..like viewed through fabric...(and refreshing)
thorkil

Maggie O

I don't know why I can't get the like button to work, but I wanted you guys to know that I tried to like every photo since my last post. What a fine run of work!!!

edited to add- Ha! Complain about the button not working and then it does!!

Thorkil

I don't know why I can't get the like button to work, but I wanted you guys to know that I tried to like every photo since my last post. What a fine run of work!!!

edited to add- Ha! Complain about the button not working and then it does!!
:)..:thumbup:
thorkil

Thorkil

I just had to.(OOC)
This early morning light was sharp, though gently mellow and soft
Birds were practising in the quiet and soft air
Human sounds though were way too early awakening long behind in the background

thorkil

Last edited: