The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Print resolution Sigma D2Pm :confused:

Michiel Schierbeek

I am uploading images to a seller (fineartamerica) of prints but suddenly my latest files from the DP2m are refused because they are to small for printing.
While I already uploaded some DP2m images which were accepted for prints till the size of 48" x 32" inch.

In SPP I can't find any info on the exact resolution of the X3F files, exported as TIFF the info in Bridge is 180 PPI and in PS in "Imagesize" the resolution is 240 DPI ? Strange!

Then in SPP there is also the possibilty to click on double size in output image size in the "save as" dialoque box. These files are more then 330 MB and double the pixel size in each direction while the file still remain 180PPI in Bridge.
Is that a good idea to use this option for bigger prints?

Any help for the more experienced printers and uploaders are more the welcome!

adsf

DPI means nothing in a Digital File.
It matters when it comes to print.

If you print a File with a given digital Resolution (for example 4704x3136 as they come out of your merrill) using different DPI Values it changes the physical size of the resulting Image.

You can change the embedded DPI-Value to whatever you want. It doesnt change what you can "do" with the digital Image with the given fix resolution.

I dont know why so much people in print still dont get that its just the Pixel resolution that counts. DPI is something they set when it comes to print. The higher it is set, the smaller is the physical image. And of course it is "finer" then.

EDIT: Some software will size the image (pixels!) up if you set a higher DPI Value and have a fixed physical(desired) output size set for the image. That makes the file bigger but Quality will not get better by doing so.

Michiel Schierbeek

If you print a File with a given digital Resolution (for example 4704x3136 as they come out of your merrill) using different DPI Values it changes the physical size of the resulting Image.

You can change the embedded DPI-Value to whatever you want. It doesnt change what you can "do" with the digital Image with the given fix resolution.

I dont know why so much people in print still dont get that its just the Pixel resolution that counts. DPI is something they set when it comes to print. The higher it is set, the smaller is the physical image. And of course it is "finer" then.

EDIT: Some software will size the image (pixels!) up if you set a higher DPI Value and have a fixed physical(desired) output size set for the image. That makes the file bigger but Quality will not get better by doing so.
Thanks for the reply!

It remains strange why suddenly the same files of 4704x3136 pixels weren't big enough for printing according to the americafineart upload dialoque box but I will try again. May be there was another reason.

It just started me wondering, but pixels are pixels as you say.
Please don't be to strand to me :(

Michiel Schierbeek

It works again. I think they used the wrong dialoque box because later it appeared I was on my maximum upload. Paid a little and it works again!

Money makes the world go round...... repeate.......

Thanks gentlemen!

unlearny

so you are using the Sigma a lot? Have you tried processing x3f files using irridient pro? it is faster than SPP, but I've yet to test the resolution of converted files. Somehow enlarging x3f 200% files in spp reveals detail that is invisible in TIFF files @ 100%.

Tim

Is that a good idea to use this option for bigger prints?

Any help for the more experienced printers and uploaders are more the welcome!

Hi Michiel,

I had to ask this question here in three different sub-forums before anyone even replied.

Here is one entry - http://www.getdpi.com/forum/printing-output/47114-output-sigma-dp-cameras.html

So DPI IS important to the output device? I believe many inkjets are 360dpi but I think Fuji Minilabs are 300 dpi

So my question is should we change the DPI to suit the device to maximize the quality of the reproduction before sending it to print? Or will the RIP or print software do this for us automatically?
Will a image set to 180dpi render more poorly when sent to a 300dpi printer than an image that starts at 300dpi?

Quentin_Bargate

My workflow is always to change the ppi to suit the output device. For an Epson 7900 I will use 300ppi. Generally, though, you can't go far wrong if you send a file for printing at 300ppi whatever the device. If the file requires interpolation to get it to that ppi for the intended print size, then I will upscale using appropriate software so the final file is 300ppi at the given print size. More that 300ppi is generally a waste of time. Dpi of course is the output print resolution. It's pixels, not dots, you are concerned with in a digital file.

alajuela

My workflow is always to change the ppi to suit the output device. For an Epson 7900 I will use 300ppi. Generally, though, you can't go far wrong if you send a file for printing at 300ppi whatever the device. If the file requires interpolation to get it to that ppi for the intended print size, then I will upscale using appropriate software so the final file is 300ppi at the given print size. More that 300ppi is generally a waste of time. Dpi of course is the output print resolution. It's pixels, not dots, you are concerned with in a digital file.
Hi Quentin

My understanding from Epson and also ImagePrint , is the native resolution of the Epson printers is 180 or 360ppi

I think Canon is 150 or 300ppi.

Phil

Quentin_Bargate

Phil

I used to convert to 360ppi but 300 seems to work just as well, and it's also the common ppi needed for most commercial and online printing, so it makes sense for me to save all my files at 300ppi.

I used to use Imageprint. Nice RIP.