The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hoodman Loupe or Sigma Viewfinders?

Sapphie

I am really enjoying my DP2M, so much so that I am tempted to reward it with a sibling as a companion. Sometimes I can see OK composing on the LCD, other times it is tricky, so my thoughts are turning to either the Sigma hot shoe VF or something like the Hoodman loupe. A benefit of the latter, I guess is that it can be used on multiple cameras. I am just trying to visualise how I would use it. I guess I could strap it to the camera with rubber bands or just hold it and the camera up together but may have fear of dropping one or other! Recently I have taken to putting the DP2M on a monopod ...

I'd value real-life experience of users of either system. I would imagine that the Hoodman would come into its own very much with the DP3M?

Thanks
Lee

W.Utsch

I use both, sometimes i "misuse" the DP2M with the Sigma optical Finder like a P and S.
In good light with a 5.6 aperture and enough DOF and or zone focussing, this works surprisingly good.
You can quite good estimate where the middle focus point will be in the OF. The green focus conf. light is visible when looking through the OF.

The Hoodman loupe works very good on a tripod, but is usable handheld by pressing the cam and loupe to your eye as well. This makes a bigger pack oc.

Think there OF or loupe is not a really alternative - they are different and usable both.

Redford01

The Hoodman with the cinema straps work great. I have the DP2M with the RRS grip and a wrist strap and the hoodman stays on mine perfectly, and allows me to handhold much more often by pressing it to my eye and steadying it.

Redford01

Sorry for the delay. Did not see this until just now.

Here is the one that I use, with the cinema straps.

Hoodman H-LPP3 HoodLoupe 3.0 Professional 3-Inch Screen Loupe

Geoff

There is also a 1" extender, which gives a slightly larger viewing area if you need it. It just slips on to the 3" loupe.

ChrisSearle

I pretty much always use the Hoodman, on and off tripod. It is attached to my DP2 and3M's with elastic bands, which may not look particularly elegant but works extremely well.