Site Sponsors

Thread: GR viewfinder??

Post Thanks / Like

GR viewfinder??

Does this learned group think that an optical viewfinder is necessary for the new Ricoh GR??

Martin S

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: GR viewfinder??

Quote Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
    Does this learned group think that an optical viewfinder is necessary for the new Ricoh GR??

Martin S
    I like to have the option. The Voigtländer 28mm Brightline finder is excellent, and a good match to the GR or GXR+A12 28mm.

G

Post Thanks / Like

I've been a user of the GRD series, II, III and IV. Where I live we often suffer from very harsh direct lighting at times, particularly in summer. This lighting can persist most of the day only easing a bit before or after sunrise/sunset. This blanks out the LCD and the Optical viewfinder is my best option. I carry it nearly always with the GR now but it tends to only go on when I find I need it. So its a - must have - optional use for me even with my new GR and its improved LCD.

I have the Ricoh GV-2 28mm only finder. Very small, reasonably accurate. I would like a center [ ] or + mark so I know where focus lock is though. Anyone know of any finders with center marks?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Martin S View Post

Martin S
    I don't use one. It's no longer as pocketable with one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I've been a user of the GRD series, II, III and IV. Where I live we often suffer from very harsh direct lighting at times, particularly in summer. This lighting can persist most of the day only easing a bit before or after sunrise/sunset. This blanks out the LCD and the Optical viewfinder is my best option. I carry it nearly always with the GR now but it tends to only go on when I find I need it. So its a - must have - optional use for me even with my new GR and its improved LCD.

I have the Ricoh GV-2 28mm only finder. Very small, reasonably accurate. I would like a center [ ] or + mark so I know where focus lock is though. Anyone know of any finders with center marks?
    That's a question I have too! I was thinking of getting a Ricoh GR myself and was wondering the exact same thing about the viewfinder. Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

I like optical viewfinders so opted for the round 28mm Voightlander. Use it about half the time.

Regarding focus point, the frame in the Voightlander has gaps at the 12, 3, 6 & 9 positions. Not difficult to use the 6 o'clock gap as a reference for the auto focus point. Works for me.

As an interesting aside, I was using the GR with finder at an auto show in January as was asked if it was a Leica. Can only attribute that to ignorance and the viewfinder.

Post Thanks / Like

"I don't use one. It's no longer as pocketable with one."

It is pocketable with the Clearviewer.

And you don't have problems seeing where it is focused.

Plus you are alerted to the dangers of altering the exposure compensation accidentally by hitting one of the toggles by mistake.

I had an OVF and it is sitting unused on my desk.

Tony