The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GR vs. Pentax K5IIs sensor

Hi

I would be interested in difference in IQ from the sensors of the Ricoh GR and Pentax K5IIs. Both use a 16MP APS-C Bayer sensor without AA filter. But it seems that it is not the same sensor.

Does anybody has experienece with both cameras and can tell me, whether crispness, colours, DR and high ISO are the same?

Thanks

Paratom

Reid Reviews has a studio comparison. As far as I remember IQ is very close, the K5IIs offering very slightly better high ISO and the Ricoh being very slightly more detailed at lower ISO.
I dont think IQ difference should be the deciding factor with these 2 cameras.
But besides IQ these 2 cams are very different in regards to user interface IMO.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I have them both. So far I am not conscious of any obvious difference in image quality. But I expected them to be the same sensor so I haven't spent any time looking. They are both are very good and have that lovely detailed, transparent, micro-contrasty look you get when there is not AA filter.

I'll keep my eyes open, though.

Keith

jonoslack

I have them both. So far I am not conscious of any obvious difference in image quality. But I expected them to be the same sensor so I haven't spent any time looking. They are both are very good and have that lovely detailed, transparent, micro-contrasty look you get when there is not AA filter.

I'll keep my eyes open, though.

Keith
Thanks Keith.
I don't have the K5IIs (I've been very tempted). But, unlike Tom, I do feel that the spirit of the interface is very close (and lovely to see TAV mode on the Ricoh).
Silas and I were discussing today how we both rather regretted getting rid of our K5 kit. I've only had the Ricoh for 5 hours, but am already loving it!

All the best

Thanks,

I am really interested in the Ricoh GR, read only good thing (except AF) so far. I really hope that it is the same sensor as within the K5IIs, because this sensor is amazing.

@ Jono

you used aready so many cameras. With which camera would you compare the GR in AF speed and accuracy in bright light and low light? I heard so many different statements, that I am unsure whether this is fast enough (without using snap focus option) for street shooting...

How is the display in bright light? I have problems with my Sigma DP2M in bright light to frame and see the focus bracket...

jonoslack

Hi There
Right - well, I've not found the display to be any problem - even in bright light.
The AF is fine - not splendid in low light, and it's important to switch off macro mode (unless you're shooting macro).
I'd say it's on a par with the the RX100 for Af - and it seems accurate as well.

The camera is lovely (but don't pour coffee on it!).
I'm afraid this doesn't help much.

Thorkil

I have begun using the GR for my Work too. Before that I used a D3 and then the D800E with 14-24mm. Sold both and the 14-24. Bought first a K-30 then the K-5II together with a Sigma 10-20mm. But after been working (just shots of buildings for reports and registrations etc.) all day yesterday solely with the GR, I was so amazed and satiesfied about the GR Pictures, that I regret that I havn't used it for work until now. I think the colours, and IQ in general a way better for me than the K-5II (perhaps to blame on the Sigma, I don't know, but I don't think). So I ordered the 21mm adapter, and will use the GR more and more in my work. And I'll wait with the D600 + 14-24, I was just about to buy.
Thorkil

J

JohnW

I've been tempted lately to swap my Nex 7 for a K-5IIs. Love the Nex, but I've had a GR for a few months and have become so enamored with the files.

Now that the K-3 has been released I think I'll sit tight until we know more about that model. But the GR has definitely made me a Ricoh-Pentax fan.

John

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I've been tempted lately to swap my Nex 7 for a K-5IIs. Love the Nex, but I've had a GR for a few months and have become so enamored with the files.

Now that the K-3 has been released I think I'll sit tight until we know more about that model. But the GR has definitely made me a Ricoh-Pentax fan.

John
The K3 looks wonderful, but I've come to realize that sensors have their own personality, and the 16MP in the Kll-s has gained a great reputation. The new sensor in the K3 may not be as good, we don't know yet.

Another thing to wait for, maybe, is a replacement for the Ricoh GXR. But at my age I don't buy green bananas, so I have given up on that.

Keith

jminor

Don't we also have to keep in mind the cameras have different processing engines? I've read posts by folks in the GR images thread say the GR files are very easy to work in post and haven't seen much regarding the K5IIs. Also the GR lens was made to work wonderfully with the sensor, where you may see slight variations with different lenses on the K5IIs. Like others, I'm sitting on the fence trying to decide which or the two cameras to buy and figure you can't go wrong with either one....
John

bmacw

I've had both cameras. They are all pretty mediocre in terms of High ISO compare to other APS-C with similar MP count.

The GR files do look crisper at lower ISO with finer detailed. (I have a 35mm f2.8 Macro Limited mounted on the K5IIs).

But really they are all neck and neck at this level. I've come to realized that at 16MP, AA vs No-AA isn't as big of a deal, since you don't really have that much you can crop of. If I have a 24mp (k3) or 36mp sensor with no AA filter, I think the advantage would be more pronounced.

The K5IIs' processing engine is from the old system, really the sensor is probably the same as the K5, just a better AF system. The K-30 I believe has a newer processor which actually give it a better ISO performance. The buffer on the K5II/s is also ridiculously, it's annoying to deal with if you are in LV, you can't get the LV back until after a few seconds... It's an amazing sensor (but only 16MP anyways), but if just feels out dated.

Save your money, get the K3. Or buy a used K-30 + GR.

BTW, I'm selling my K5IIs here, so you know how unbiased I am when I say all these things :D.