The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The amazing landscapes of the island of Arran

vieri

Hello everyone,

long time no see :D I am just back from a month on the road shooting, and I just finished processing the first batch of images, dedicated to the amazing landscapes of the island of Arran. Here a few pics:

You can see the rest of the 29 images of this portfolio clicking

HERE.

All images in this portfolio have been shot with the SD1 Merrill; the four presented above with the 17-50 f2.8 OS and a bunch of filters, the remaining images in the portfolio I used also the 50mm f1.4 and the 85mm f1.4.

Hope you enjoyed, all the best

Vieri

vieri

Beautiful..
Thank you very much!

Nice work, Vieri :)

How do you feel about the D800E now?
Thank you Blad, glad you enjoyed :) I feel great about the D800E, as I felt before - the SD1M is a very different beast, and while the D800E is definitely the better camera and the more versatile photo-taking device of the two, the files coming out of the SD1M have an amazing character to show for them. Of course, both Bayer and Foveon have advantages and disadvantages one vs the other, no sensor technology is perfect and you have to choose your own poison...

I wondered why you had gone quiet - now I can see. Wonderful work!

LouisB
Hello Louis, thank you very much! I have been traveling for 6 weeks, pretty much without a computer for the whole time (iPad doesn't count much)... but am back, and with a lot of files to process, too! :D

Great work, Vieri! Amazing use of light and DOF.
Hello Michiel, thank you very much, I really appreciate it! :D

jtwloh

Great shots of the place and gives an impression of an idyllic sense.
On top of that, the way the sensor renders is very unique.

vieri

The first and last picture is very nice..landscape architecture firms in raleigh nc
Great shots of the place and gives an impression of an idyllic sense.
On top of that, the way the sensor renders is very unique.
Thank you guys, much appreciated.

@ jtwloh: the Foveon sensor draws in a quite unique way indeed: one might like it or not, but is certainly different than a Bayer sensor. To me, it's a quite beautiful rendering for the subjects I shoot; I found that for portraits it's a bit "too sharp" and harsh, and it has too much micro-contrast; you definitely need to tame it in post. However, even if it wouldn't be my weapon of choice for that kind of shooting, I have seen beautiful portrait and studio work done with the SD1 Merrill as well. If only Sigma gave us a "this century" camera to go with it, it would enlarge the SD appeal and user base enormously.

jtwloh

Thank you guys, much appreciated.

@ jtwloh: the Foveon sensor draws in a quite unique way indeed: one might like it or not, but is certainly different than a Bayer sensor. To me, it's a quite beautiful rendering for the subjects I shoot; I found that for portraits it's a bit "too sharp" and harsh, and it has too much micro-contrast; you definitely need to tame it in post. However, even if it wouldn't be my weapon of choice for that kind of shooting, I have seen beautiful portrait and studio work done with the SD1 Merrill as well. If only Sigma gave us a "this century" camera to go with it, it would enlarge the SD appeal and user base enormously.
Vieri, I can't agree with you more.