The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Sigma DP Merrill's?

Hulyss Bowman

Some news:

- Electronic level and histogram are available even in Manual Focus mode.
- Little movable part on the door to allow constant power feeding with SAC 6 adapter.

The Ute

It seems that Sigma has fixed many of the perceived shortcomings of the Merrill's by
improving the functionality of the camera which is an excellent thing.

What literally remains to be seen is whether or not they have done so at the cost of image quality ?

Since they took all this trouble to improve the camera one wonders why they did not
go further by introducing an EVF and upgrading the autofocus system ?

Both of which are needed items IMO.

The price of the new models also greatly factors in the decision of whether or not to buy a new one.

As the Merrill's can now be had for perhaps 1/2 the price or maybe even less.

One wonders if the new DP's will be twice as good ?

Guess we'll find out in the coming months as the inevitable comparisons are made.

raist3d

A slightly disappointing article, as it is unnecessarily condescending.
Quentin, I agree with you in some levels, and sorry I wasn't more clear- what I found most interesting was the update section. I know what you mean though. With Thom I usually try to filter out the good from the less good, as I think sometimes he does say sound things.

-= Ricardo

raist3d

Sigma Quattro could be (likely be) an excellent monochrome camera
-------------------
Taking out the discussion of the color aspect of the sensor aside, what I find really exciting is that the new Foveon sensor since the top layer according to several data points that have chimed in, is mostly measuring Luminance, this means the camera could make for a truly superb monochrome camera.

Doing B&W color filter simulations would knock down the acuity a bit as it relies on the lower chroma resolution data to do so, but as a neutral monochrome camera, it should be virtually almost the same as a monochrome camera of full on 19.6 MP spatial points of resolution with no gaps in luminance types like a CFA sensor (Bayer or Xtrans).

If Sigma managed to improve the noise much at that resolution, this could be the best monochrome camera under quite a range of price range. I am quite excited about this prospect because the detail and now with 14-bit RAW - the tonality should be quite high. Crossing fingers the usable ISO in B&W improved quite a bit, but even then in a reasonable range of ISOs it will most likely be phenomenal/spectacular.

I wouldn't mind having to shoot color in "low raw" to get a higher quality color capture at higher ISO while using full on B&W for the high resolution shots.

mezzoduomo

I have both the DP1 Merrill and DP2 Merrill (old school?). My plan right now is to get the dp3 quattro ASAP, rounding out my collection. I really love the bold design!

The Ute

I have both the DP1 Merrill and DP2 Merrill (old school?). My plan right now is to get the dp3 quattro ASAP, rounding out my collection. I really love the bold design!
I might do the same.

I await the testing and pricing first.

Other issue I have is that I mostly use the DP1.

raist3d

On the resolution of the Quattro sensor:

Yup but that resolution for Luminance, not for color. Color resolution is reduced to 1/4th. But the Merrill was never really giving full X3 resolution either due to noise and other issues. Notice those are black and white lines, not red or green.

- Ricardo

davemillier

It's a bit tricky to tell from that slide but to my eyes those resolution figures look a bit dubious. It looks to me like they have been measured from within an aliased region. If you look above the indicated cut off point the chart looks like it has lost the 9 lines. At the point where they chose to measure they seem to have come back but then they disappear after that. Surely the correct point to decide max resolution is at the first point that the nine lines are lost to aliasing?

I could be wrong as this is a picture of a picture but that is what it looks like to me...

On the resolution of the Quattro sensor:

snowy

It's a bit tricky to tell from that slide but to my eyes those resolution figures look a bit dubious. It looks to me like they have been measured from within an aliased region. If you look above the indicated cut off point the chart looks like it has lost the 9 lines. At the point where they chose to measure they seem to have come back but then they disappear after that. Surely the correct point to decide max resolution is at the first point that the nine lines are lost to aliasing?

I could be wrong as this is a picture of a picture but that is what it looks like to me...
I don't think it's fair to judge from the picture of a screenshot of a lens test! They would look pretty stupid if they deliberately gave false information on a test like that and were exposed later when DXO gets their hands on a camera...

Rawfa

The grips are massive.
I look at the picture bellow and I cannot stop thinking how awesome it would be to see a micro 4/3 mount on this body :)

biglouis

One question I have is why the lens on the DP2q has grown in size so much. The filter size has gone from 46mm to 58mm. The barrel diameter is (obviously) wider. I wonder what has changed?

LouisB

Tim

One question I have is why the lens on the DP2q has grown in size so much. The filter size has gone from 46mm to 58mm. The barrel diameter is (obviously) wider. I wonder what has changed?

LouisB
49mm on the DP2 Merrill Louis.
I suspect there has been lens tweaks. Perhaps to better cover the sensor to improve vignetting.

Tim

The grips are massive.
I look at the picture bellow and I cannot stop thinking how awesome it would be to see a micro 4/3 mount on this body :)
[/IMG]
It would ruin the camera. The lenses on the DP 's are matched to the sensor and body for maximum resolving ability. The constraints of a mount are all gone. Many/all/most m43 lens designs are needing software corrections and of course m43 can't cover the Foveon sensor size as it stands now. I think you would take a IQ hit if it was tried.

This guy did it for M mount - http://leicarumors.com/2013/04/02/you-can-now-add-leica-m-mount-to-sigma-dp-camera-for-300.aspx/

But I will stick to the Sigma lens.

I have an EM-5 but I also often take a DP2 Merrill. It all depends on the "job" and the mood.

Last edited:

biglouis

I suspect there has been lens tweaks. Perhaps to better cover the sensor to improve vignetting.
Ahh, yes, you are right. It is still a fair change in size and it would mean having to buy yet another Lee Seven5 adapter!

LouisB

Hulyss Bowman

No, absolutely not.

The optical formula, glass used and all are strictly the same.

The lens is bigger because Focus motor and housing are not the same. There is also wires to the AF assist beam at the front of the lens.