The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP series

UHDR

ok, so you guys have me convinced, the to-be-mine DP3m is now being delivered. :D if it goes well, i will get rid of my xe1 and get the DP1 and 2 as well. :D

I read quite a few threads/blogs about the shooting side of the DP series, but i found very little information on the processing side. Perhaps we can build a thread sharing experience and technique on our work flow for the DP series? :D

The Ute

ok, so you guys have me convinced, the to-be-mine DP3m is now being delivered. :D if it goes well, i will get rid of my xe1 and get the DP1 and 2 as well. :D

I read quite a few threads/blogs about the shooting side of the DP series, but i found very little information on the processing side. Perhaps we can build a thread sharing experience and technique on our work flow for the DP series? :D
Don't know what you shoot but it is practically impossible to shoot certain landscape subjects using just the DP3.

Great for portrait, etc.

DP1/2 are essential in that regard.

I'm actually looking forward to the new lens on the DP1 Quattro to see if it has
been improved.

If it has and the image quality is better I might just have to have me one of those.

Waiting for the pricing too.

;)

UHDR

had a little time to play around with the dp3m this weekend. I must say im totally amazed by....the battery life...or rather lack of it! :ROTFL: i walked less than 150 meters and i drained the battery with just 17 shots !! :ROTFL:

anyway, here's one of them. :D

i took it in Raw, iso 100, 1/320, F8

import it into sigma photo pro.
change white balance
highlight/shadow recovery
increase exposure abit
push saturation up by 0.1
save as jpeg
import into LR5
slightly amount of noise reduction
abit sharpness + mask
localised adjustment brush and push saturation up in the sky area

(question, is there any way of reducing the size of jpeg without destroying the 3D pop? i just use the LR5 export resizing tool at the moment. but the image seems to lose some of its magic)

Kofronj

They won't be Merrill's, they'll be 'Quattros'. And the hope is sometime during the summer for the first release (DP2Q)

For UHDR - Welcome to the club! -- both GetDPI and the subset of DPMerrill owners/users. I think most of us with the DPxMerrills go around with extra batteries. At least they are relatively small, too, just like the cameras. When I look at your workflow, I notice that you are doing two jpg saves by the time you're done with your editing, then (I expect) another jpg save with the resizing for export. Each time you save a file to jpg, you are losing information to the jpg compression process. I would suggest doing your intermediate saves in tiff, which is a lossless format, and using jpg only for email/Web. I don't know if that is the source of the loss of punch you inquired about, but it is worth a try.

gnuyork

For UHDR - Welcome to the club! -- both GetDPI and the subset of DPMerrill owners/users. I think most of us with the DPxMerrills go around with extra batteries. At least they are relatively small, too, just like the cameras. When I look at your workflow, I notice that you are doing two jpg saves by the time you're done with your editing, then (I expect) another jpg save with the resizing for export. Each time you save a file to jpg, you are losing information to the jpg compression process. I would suggest doing your intermediate saves in tiff, which is a lossless format, and using jpg only for email/Web. I don't know if that is the source of the loss of punch you inquired about, but it is worth a try.
Ditto - jpg is evil :)D) until you need to post on the web.