Site Sponsors

Thread: Sigma DP series

Post Thanks / Like

Sigma DP series

ok, so you guys have me convinced, the to-be-mine DP3m is now being delivered. if it goes well, i will get rid of my xe1 and get the DP1 and 2 as well.

I read quite a few threads/blogs about the shooting side of the DP series, but i found very little information on the processing side. Perhaps we can build a thread sharing experience and technique on our work flow for the DP series?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sigma DP series

Good idea. I have 'decided' to concentrate on using my DPMs this year instead of buying any more gear ... ha, ha ... Here's a few threads that already hold some useful info:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/other-ca...ce-thread.html

SPP Processing Tips: Sigma Camera Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Optimize for Lightroom: Sigma Camera Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Going to wait for the new dPms to come out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UHDR View Post
    ok, so you guys have me convinced, the to-be-mine DP3m is now being delivered. if it goes well, i will get rid of my xe1 and get the DP1 and 2 as well.

I read quite a few threads/blogs about the shooting side of the DP series, but i found very little information on the processing side. Perhaps we can build a thread sharing experience and technique on our work flow for the DP series?
    Don't know what you shoot but it is practically impossible to shoot certain landscape subjects using just the DP3.

Great for portrait, etc.

DP1/2 are essential in that regard.

I'm actually looking forward to the new lens on the DP1 Quattro to see if it has
    been improved.

If it has and the image quality is better I might just have to have me one of those.

Waiting for the pricing too.

Post Thanks / Like

had a little time to play around with the dp3m this weekend. I must say im totally amazed by....the battery life...or rather lack of it! i walked less than 150 meters and i drained the battery with just 17 shots !!

anyway, here's one of them.

i took it in Raw, iso 100, 1/320, F8

import it into sigma photo pro.
    change white balance
    highlight/shadow recovery
    increase exposure abit
    push saturation up by 0.1
    save as jpeg
    import into LR5
    slightly amount of noise reduction
    abit sharpness + mask
    localised adjustment brush and push saturation up in the sky area

(question, is there any way of reducing the size of jpeg without destroying the 3D pop? i just use the LR5 export resizing tool at the moment. but the image seems to lose some of its magic)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    Going to wait for the new dPms to come out
    When are the new DP Merrill's available?

Post Thanks / Like

They won't be Merrill's, they'll be 'Quattros'. And the hope is sometime during the summer for the first release (DP2Q)

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh...the same name as my old car!

Post Thanks / Like

For UHDR - Welcome to the club! -- both GetDPI and the subset of DPMerrill owners/users. I think most of us with the DPxMerrills go around with extra batteries. At least they are relatively small, too, just like the cameras. When I look at your workflow, I notice that you are doing two jpg saves by the time you're done with your editing, then (I expect) another jpg save with the resizing for export. Each time you save a file to jpg, you are losing information to the jpg compression process. I would suggest doing your intermediate saves in tiff, which is a lossless format, and using jpg only for email/Web. I don't know if that is the source of the loss of punch you inquired about, but it is worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraArmstrong View Post
    For UHDR - Welcome to the club! -- both GetDPI and the subset of DPMerrill owners/users. I think most of us with the DPxMerrills go around with extra batteries. At least they are relatively small, too, just like the cameras. When I look at your workflow, I notice that you are doing two jpg saves by the time you're done with your editing, then (I expect) another jpg save with the resizing for export. Each time you save a file to jpg, you are losing information to the jpg compression process. I would suggest doing your intermediate saves in tiff, which is a lossless format, and using jpg only for email/Web. I don't know if that is the source of the loss of punch you inquired about, but it is worth a try.
    Ditto - jpg is evil () until you need to post on the web.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. I have been busy of late. I will give it a try over weekend.