Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Sigma DP series

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    232
    Post Thanks / Like

    Sigma DP series

    ok, so you guys have me convinced, the to-be-mine DP3m is now being delivered. if it goes well, i will get rid of my xe1 and get the DP1 and 2 as well.

    I read quite a few threads/blogs about the shooting side of the DP series, but i found very little information on the processing side. Perhaps we can build a thread sharing experience and technique on our work flow for the DP series?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP series

    Good idea. I have 'decided' to concentrate on using my DPMs this year instead of buying any more gear ... ha, ha ... Here's a few threads that already hold some useful info:

    http://www.getdpi.com/forum/other-ca...ce-thread.html

    SPP Processing Tips: Sigma Camera Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

    Optimize for Lightroom: Sigma Camera Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

    Lee

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP series

    Going to wait for the new dPms to come out

  4. #4
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP series

    Quote Originally Posted by UHDR View Post
    ok, so you guys have me convinced, the to-be-mine DP3m is now being delivered. if it goes well, i will get rid of my xe1 and get the DP1 and 2 as well.

    I read quite a few threads/blogs about the shooting side of the DP series, but i found very little information on the processing side. Perhaps we can build a thread sharing experience and technique on our work flow for the DP series?
    Don't know what you shoot but it is practically impossible to shoot certain landscape subjects using just the DP3.

    Great for portrait, etc.

    DP1/2 are essential in that regard.

    I'm actually looking forward to the new lens on the DP1 Quattro to see if it has
    been improved.

    If it has and the image quality is better I might just have to have me one of those.

    Waiting for the pricing too.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    232
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP series

    had a little time to play around with the dp3m this weekend. I must say im totally amazed by....the battery life...or rather lack of it! i walked less than 150 meters and i drained the battery with just 17 shots !!

    anyway, here's one of them.

    i took it in Raw, iso 100, 1/320, F8

    import it into sigma photo pro.
    change white balance
    highlight/shadow recovery
    increase exposure abit
    push saturation up by 0.1
    save as jpeg
    import into LR5
    slightly amount of noise reduction
    abit sharpness + mask
    localised adjustment brush and push saturation up in the sky area

    (question, is there any way of reducing the size of jpeg without destroying the 3D pop? i just use the LR5 export resizing tool at the moment. but the image seems to lose some of its magic)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #6
    Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP series

    Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    Going to wait for the new dPms to come out
    When are the new DP Merrill's available?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    83
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP series

    They won't be Merrill's, they'll be 'Quattros'. And the hope is sometime during the summer for the first release (DP2Q)

  8. #8
    Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP series

    Ahh...the same name as my old car!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP series

    For UHDR - Welcome to the club! -- both GetDPI and the subset of DPMerrill owners/users. I think most of us with the DPxMerrills go around with extra batteries. At least they are relatively small, too, just like the cameras. When I look at your workflow, I notice that you are doing two jpg saves by the time you're done with your editing, then (I expect) another jpg save with the resizing for export. Each time you save a file to jpg, you are losing information to the jpg compression process. I would suggest doing your intermediate saves in tiff, which is a lossless format, and using jpg only for email/Web. I don't know if that is the source of the loss of punch you inquired about, but it is worth a try.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    82
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP series

    Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraArmstrong View Post
    For UHDR - Welcome to the club! -- both GetDPI and the subset of DPMerrill owners/users. I think most of us with the DPxMerrills go around with extra batteries. At least they are relatively small, too, just like the cameras. When I look at your workflow, I notice that you are doing two jpg saves by the time you're done with your editing, then (I expect) another jpg save with the resizing for export. Each time you save a file to jpg, you are losing information to the jpg compression process. I would suggest doing your intermediate saves in tiff, which is a lossless format, and using jpg only for email/Web. I don't know if that is the source of the loss of punch you inquired about, but it is worth a try.
    Ditto - jpg is evil () until you need to post on the web.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    232
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP series

    Thanks for the feedback. I have been busy of late. I will give it a try over weekend.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •