The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP quattro

The Ute

EDIT

I included some accessories, sorry. The camera price is 693,- EUR.
I am surprised you jumped on the Quattro bandwagon so quickly.

There are very few images out by which you might determine if it is even equal to, much less superior than, the Merrill.

Not only that a new DP2 Merrill can be had for about $500 US.

That quattro is going to have to be amazing to justify itself at almost twice the price.

I'm waiting for the new DP1Q.

At least it will have a redesigned lens and there will be tons of analysis by then.

Please be sure to post your impressions.

Thanks in advance and good luck w your purchase.

:)

G43

Not that I have to take a chance once in a while, but I am certainly taking one now. I do however not feel so worried about it.
Let's say it just equals the DP2 in IQ, the 200 bucks difference is worthwhile should I have just one stop luminance gain lift = one stop higher ISO for the same noise. The longer battery lifetime and some other facelifts.
It is anyhow going to be Foveon on a high level.

The DP1Q and 3Q will naturally be the next to come should I be satisfied with the 2Q.

Promise to post some shots. Will attend a Ming Thein workshop in London this coming July.Hopefully some outstanding images shot with the DP2Q as a result.

PS! There are so to speak no images out there on the WEB showing the Q's IQ as is.

The Ute; Not only that a new DP2 Merrill can be had for about $500 US. That quattro is going to have to be amazing to justify itself at almost twice the price.:)[/QUOTE said:
(edited)

Hi,
I wouldn't mind having a 2nd DP2 Merrill but I have not found any here in the US for as little as $500. Do you mind telling me where I can get one for that amount?
Thanks,
Robert

The Ute

(edited)

Hi,
I wouldn't mind having a 2nd DP2 Merrill but I have not found any here in the US for as little as $500. Do you mind telling me where I can get one for that amount?
Thanks,
Robert
Get one from Japan.

I have deal w Japanese sellers before and never had a problem.

I have a lightly used DP1M and DP2M that I might be willing to part with for
around $400 each.

let me know if you have any interest.

johnnygoesdigital

I'll look forward to the DPQ. I recently had a chance to use a DP3, but the SPP software crashed every time I tried to export a pic. Actually, as I was getting to know the camera and menus, the legendary DPM battery was showing itself to be true to the hype. I really want this camera to work because the foveon images are really amazing. Some are using it as a MFD portrait/product tool. Strap on a hoodman and PWII and it's as good as any MFD, but considerably small and cheaper.
I think you really have to think of the camera as a 4x5 and really not rush it.

G43

G43-

You should always use a tripod w a Sigma if you want best results.
Guess my Velbone carbon tripod will do fine. 1,6 Kg is an acceptable weight.
The whole fumbling procedure to set up the tripod and dial in will slow one down if a tripod is not a tool used regularly. Hence the DPQs are maybe mostly for stills this way. I do a lot of those anyhow, but the IBIS in the EM1 has left the tripod unused for quite some time now.
I assume the fumbling part as little it may concern will not be as annoying while I can leave the camera fixed to the ballhead all the time.

S

Shelby Lewis

I'm so pleased with my DP1M. I must have a good copy... I can see the need for better battery life and maybe less noise at high ISO... but not IQ (for me). I just hope the quattros don't lose the "you have to shoot these things carefully" personality of the Merrills. I shoot better because of it. YMMV.

G43

We write the 19th of June 2014. I will have my DP2Q early July.

It is really a wonder why there's so few and quite questionable image samples to find? I find the launch of new Leica cameras more exciting because they simply do not start blabbering about anything before a given publication date. Immediately after or even simultaneously we have the very first few previews and reviews. You may even order the camera at the launch date. (I leave out the delivery policy of Leica here).

I do not fully understand why Sigma have made so much noise around the DPQs without showing the potential buyers any qualified evidence of the image quality.
Sigma has neither given any whatsoever proof of a better raw developer SW except for some gradient stuff.

No, I am not mad at Sigma at all. I just find this launch a bit clumsy, a tad unprofessional orchestrated, and not well conducted.

The Ute

We write the 19th of June 2014. I will have my DP2Q early July.

It is really a wonder why there's so few and quite questionable image samples to find? I find the launch of new Leica cameras more exciting because they simply do not start blabbering about anything before a given publication date. Immediately after or even simultaneously we have the very first few previews and reviews. You may even order the camera at the launch date. (I leave out the delivery policy of Leica here).

I do not fully understand why Sigma have made so much noise around the DPQs without showing the potential buyers any qualified evidence of the image quality.
Sigma has neither given any whatsoever proof of a better raw developer SW except for some gradient.

No, I am not mad at Sigma at all. I just find this launch a bit clumsy, a tad unprofessional orchestrated, and not well conducted.
And yet you've lined up to buy one.

;)

The Ute

I'm so pleased with my DP1M. I must have a good copy... I can see the need for better battery life and maybe less noise at high ISO... but not IQ (for me). I just hope the quattros don't lose the "you have to shoot these things carefully" personality of the Merrills. I shoot better because of it. YMMV.
I wouldn't lose any sleep over that.

You will still need to shoot w care when using them and stay within their operating window to get best results.

I'm sure of that much.

The Ute

You bet :)

I saw enough (no it's never enough ;-) fantastic IQ from the DPM series. There are so many WOW pictures here and other places.
My time to become DP user has come.
You will not be disappointed.

It's like carrying around a secret weapon.