Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DP quattro

Post Thanks / Like

DP quattro

Anyone hear anything new on the pricing or release date ?

Would have expected some sort of announcement by now.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DP quattro

I'm very anxious, but I can find no information anywhere that provides a price or a timeline.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had this page bookmarked for a while now -- dp Series | Cameras | SIGMA GLOBAL VISION

Waiting for that "Sample gallery" link to come alive. Waiting waiting. :sleep006:
    In the meantime my DP2M has been getting some love!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm actually most interested in the new DP1 as I do mostly Landscape shooting.

Also, would like to see the updated SD1.

I'm hoping they make a mirror less version w improved low light and autofocus
    capability.

Possibly a full frame.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

DP2 Quattro will be available June 15th.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Ute View Post
    Any hints on price?

I think I will still go ahead with my DP3 purchase, because they have said the first Quattro will be the DP2Q and the DP3Q may be a while off. I'd use a DP2Q more anyway!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Any hints on price?

I think I will still go ahead with my DP3 purchase, because they have said the first Quattro will be the DP2Q and the DP3Q may be a while off. I'd use a DP2Q more anyway!

Nothing yet.

I'll keep looking.

I am most interested in the DP1Q.

Also in seeing the updated SD1.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the new DP2 Quattro will be under 1000 Euros.

Post Thanks / Like

The DP2Q will be at 999 €.
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com

Post Thanks / Like

and no sample images yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by foveon View Post
    and no sample images yet?
    none yet, that date was either wrong or has been pushed back.

I keep checking here - dp Series | Cameras | SIGMA GLOBAL VISION

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see SD1 with new sensor and live view to go with 18-35mm F1.8. that would be a perfect set with DP2Q and DP3Q

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to troll but I am not too sure about the new Quattro's.

I'll have to see some results but what is not impressing me is (a) the larger lens profile which contains pretty much the same lens - but bigger housing due to the motor being outside the camera body, (b) that I've seen claims that the sensitivity improvement is only one-stop. That would not be enough to disaffect me from my existing DP2M and DP3M.

I might consider a DP1M - the reports are that the lens has been improved. But I suppose the bottom line is that I will wait until the notices come in.

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I don't want to troll but I am not too sure about the new Quattro's.

I'll have to see some results but what is not impressing me is (a) the larger lens profile which contains pretty much the same lens - but bigger housing due to the motor being outside the camera body, (b) that I've seen claims that the sensitivity improvement is only one-stop. That would not be enough to disaffect me from my existing DP2M and DP3M.

I might consider a DP1M - the reports are that the lens has been improved. But I suppose the bottom line is that I will wait until the notices come in.

LouisB
    Hi Louis,

My reason for being a Sigma user is it gives me what I believe is the best IQ for a low price but most importantly in a small package. I have adapted to the camera's other shortcomings. I just don't/can't lug large cameras any more. If the DP range didn't exist I would be a RX1 owner for sure (I still do want to try one).

What concerns me also about the Quattros is the overall size.
    The unusual shape I don't mind, in fact I applaud it. However I do see its shape as a challenge for a bag or case, as if you boxed it, that box will be quite large if you get my drift?

So, if the Quattro redeems its increase in size with amazing IQ I can adapt and could forgive the size aspect. If it does not then I may just stay with the Merrills. This acceptance is a personal decision thing of course. I will wait like yourself and enjoy what i have now.

BTW: Just took delivery of a DP3 at the low price!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wish Quattro line also featured IS, OVF/EVF, and a lens no slower than f/1.2. I don't care about light weight and pocketable size.

Post Thanks / Like

I apologize for digressing but alongside the Merrills I would love to see an updated DP2. Something with the DP2 sensor (not Merrill sensor) in a body the size of the Pana GM1. The IQ of the original DP was lost in the Merrills IMO and I'd love to see it back but in an improved body. A DP2 in a GR would be nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Hi Louis,

My reason for being a Sigma user is it gives me what I believe is the best IQ for a low price but most importantly in a small package. I have adapted to the camera's other shortcomings. I just don't/can't lug large cameras any more. If the DP range didn't exist I would be a RX1 owner for sure (I still do want to try one).

What concerns me also about the Quattros is the overall size.
    The unusual shape I don't mind, in fact I applaud it. However I do see its shape as a challenge for a bag or case, as if you boxed it, that box will be quite large if you get my drift?

So, if the Quattro redeems its increase in size with amazing IQ I can adapt and could forgive the size aspect. If it does not then I may just stay with the Merrills. This acceptance is a personal decision thing of course. I will wait like yourself and enjoy what i have now.

BTW: Just took delivery of a DP3 at the low price!
    Tim, I have similar problems. Due to a progressively weaker back I can't carry heavy cameras - I recently had to give up MF film photography for that reason.

The disappointment was somewhat mitigated by the breathtaking IQ of the DP2M. Hard to justify lugging a Hasselblad when you can get better results on a pixel level with a DP2M!

I also owned a RX1 and I can testify to the fact that it is a fantastic camera. On a purely visual basis I preferred the output to the DP2M, although the DP2M is considerably sharper and more detailed. I only sold the RX1 because I built a system around the A7 - I wish I could have affored to keep both and I would not rule out giving houseroom to the RX1R at some point in the future.

The lens on the RX1 is also a real beauty. I sold mine to justify purchasing the FE 35/2.8 for the A7 but I have to admit, although it is a great piece of glass, it is no match for the RX1 35 lens.

Best of luck

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm....are you sure about the lens housing is bigger? i thought the camera body is quite a lot thinner (but longer side-ways) so that makes it looks like the lens is bigger than before (?)

my worry with the new Q is that they have gone down in pixel for the two layers of the sensor, which to me sounds like we are back to the guessing-game like bayer array/fuji's x-trans filter.

I got the dp2m/3m but I have hold off getting DP1m as i think the M's can benefit from further pixel count when it comes to landscape (and keeping the per-pixel sharpness). If the Q turns out to be a flop, i think i will get SD1m + 18-35mm instead.... more weight, but at least im happy with the result.

at the moment, most of my landscape shots that I'm happy with are done by stitching two shots together from DP2m/3m. if DP1Q can achieve the same without stitching, then i think we have a winner

Post Thanks / Like

I'm waiting for the new DP1Q also.

Hoping that the new lens for it improves the image quality even further.

Right now it is slightly fuzzy around the edges.

The images will tell the tale.

The new SD1 should also be very interesting.

Would like to see a mirror-less version.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I have seen this link - http://pchphotostore.tumblr.com/page/2

I am surprised as to how small the Quattro appears to be.

That print on the table looks interesting. If only we could get a closer look.

Post Thanks / Like

This is quite a big call.

Sigma dp Quattro Archives サ Sigma Rumors | dp Quattro Cameras, Art Lenses, and More

There is of course more to the Pentax than just the sensor. You wont have the lens lineup of the 645Z or the speed or functionality but for those of us who can't justify the expense of MF it gives us access to the IQ IF you live within the bounds of the Sigma.

I hope the Quattro lives up to the promise!

Post Thanks / Like

Tim,
    Thanks for posting these info updates. I enjoy the Merrill cameras, and I am looking forward to the Quattro.

Kind regards,
    Darr
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Post Thanks / Like

If the DP2Q really will be available in June, I find it eighter weird there is not a single sample image to be found...

Post Thanks / Like

写真で見るSIGMA dp2 Quattro - デジカメ Watch

Kind of like it. 3 x 400 grams of MF resolving power in your pocket.

I have preordered a DP2Q. Hope it fulfils the promises, but not at least that there will be an EVF one day and the developer SW will show an improved UI.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to find the exact words as to how great it would be to have an EVF....
    Not too crazy about the looks of the Quattro body design though, maybe the EVF would be backwards compatible and work on the DP1,2,3 Merrill or might that too much to hope for!
    Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I remember a link to the "Introduction to Quattro Sensor", the lecture by K. Yamaki CEO in CP+ February 2014 being posted in one of the threads here, but only recently discovered a translation into English:
    Seeking Light and Shadow: "Introduction to Quattro Sensor" - The lecture by K. Yamaki CEO in CP+ February 2014, Yokohama Japan
    Worth reading to those interested in DP Quattro.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Malina

Thanks for the link which is a kind of first hand information from the manufacturers hand. Though more thoroughly full than what I have previously seen.

As many others I guess, I find it a bit odd that so little proof = real actual pixel sized sample files, has been given to potential buyers at a moment where Sigma dealers happily accepts pre-orders!

E.g. Sigma promised a good FF 50 mm lens time before the launch of their new 50mm ART lens and when it suddenly showed up it wiped the floor for the bucks claimed. May this also happen in the case of the new Q Merrils? We obviously all have to wait and see.

Arhhh.. I am not that fond of Sigmas grilling the interested and potential customer to an extent that he/she are urged to forgetting the camera that is actually in use while this mild torture takes place. Actually I'm not fond at all of marketing driven companies as they try to draw your focus to what actually didn't happen yet pretending being pure reality. But name one brand except maybe Leica whose mouths are shot until after the Overture day.
    Promotions sustained by power points are not that convincing after all.

C'mon Sigma give us some real images to look at.

Meanwhile I'll enjoy my MFT photography in full and the new DPs are not going to be replacement cameras for it at all, but a very welcomed bid on in the pocket MF performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phips243 View Post
    If the DP2Q really will be available in June, I find it eighter weird there is not a single sample image to be found...
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

I am impressed by the MTF curves shown for the DP2Q lens :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I am impressed by the MTF curves from my DP2m lens,
    but IMO DP2q isnt working, sale will start this month but no examples were given to some photographers or reviewers or bloggers

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it is a bit smelly that not even one little spy image is to find and the first Quattro camera is told to be available in a couple of weeks. Leica style marketing? However the DPMQ's will will see the daylight sooner or later.

I've asked my local leather tailor if he could sew a stomach belt case for the new camera design. Of course he would and could. Just want to look like John Wayne with three pistols around my hip, ready to shoot any caliber.

Post Thanks / Like

It's appears that those of you smelled a rat were correct.

It looks as though the DP2Q is going to be delayed.

You can read about it at sigma-rumors.com

Post Thanks / Like

This eventual delay is welcomed should it prevent buyers having a bad experience with their newly purchased wonder cam.
    Sometimes the waiting time is even more exciting then after the release, which I do not hope will be the case for the Quattros.

Meanwhile better to produce some outstanding images.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G43 View Post
    ..Meanwhile better to produce some outstanding images.
    And who knows how outstanding images from a quattro will be.
    I sometimes look at images from the 4.5 mp DP2 and they are outstanding, the DP2m offers very rich details but lacks that unique look, it cannot capture light moods like the old did.
    I really think about buying an old DP2 again.

Post Thanks / Like

We can't know how technically outstanding the Quattros will be. I was rather thinking of making outstanding images regardless the camera in use ;-)

Now you mention your experience with the older DP, I often grab my older Fuji X100 since the tonality palette this camera musters ranges extremely high. It rocks if I may say.

Let's hope the Quattros new tech sensor with it's extra stop addition, the lenses, the engine and the developer SW also rocks the day they appear.

Post Thanks / Like

DP2m offers outstanding resolution

Post Thanks / Like

I am not really all that interested in the DP2Q.

Would be hard to improve upon the DP2M.

My real interest in in an improved version of the DP1M.

The Lens is supposed to be improved in the DP1Q version.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was hard to improve on the DP2M. If Sigma didn't the whole launch seems a joke.
    The improvement if any, would come from the new sensor + some engine stuff.
    All three cameras should by all means be improved. Otherwise...?

True many awaits the DP1Q. I am one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was hard to improve on the DP2M. If Sigma didn't the whole launch seems a joke.
    The improvement if any, would come from the new sensor + some engine stuff.
    All three cameras should by all means be improved. Otherwise...?

True many awaits the DP1Q. I am one of them.
    I wait to be convinced that they can improve upon the image quality of the DP2M.

What I think they have done is improved some of the functionality.

I doubt very much they will have improved the overall resolution.

The DP2M was sharp corner to corner.

Perhaps some of the noise and color artifacts will be removed.

I am after the DP1Q anyway so it does not matter to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The DP2M was sharp corner to corner.
    True, but the lens clearly out resolves current Foveon X3 sensor. There's room for improvement with a higher MP sensor.
    Attachment 81136

What I'll miss in Quattro series is a faster lenses...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Malina DZ View Post
    True, but the lens clearly out resolves current Foveon X3 sensor. There's room for improvement with a higher MP sensor.
    Attachment 81136

What I'll miss in Quattro series is a faster lenses...
    How you gonna' higher resolution w a lower MP sensor combo ?

We shall see.

I'd expect lower noise and fewer color artifacts but not higher resolution.

I'll need to be convinced that the new design wins on that score.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How you gonna' higher resolution w a lower MP sensor combo ?
    5,424ラ3,616 is higher than 4704x3136, don't you agree?

Post Thanks / Like

If we can rely on the story told that no one would notice any difference on a very large hi-rez print between a DP2Q and a Pentax 645Z, I rest my case questioning the quality of the new DPQ series.
    The present DP series delivers quality in spades given the skilled patient user. No one says we are forced to buy the latest generation just because it's there.
    I never owned any DP Merrill, so for me it's an experiment.

Post Thanks / Like

If we can rely on the story told that no one would notice any difference on a very large hi-rez print between a DP2Q and a Pentax 645Z, I rest my case questioning the quality of the new DPQ series.
    The present DP series delivers quality in spades given the skilled patient user. No one says we are forced to buy the latest generation just because it's there.
    I never owned any DP Merrill, so for me it's an experiment.
    Well, having owned several, I can tell you the results are extraordinary.

Especially those from the DP2M.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Malina DZ View Post
    5,424ラ3,616 is higher than 4704x3136, don't you agree?
    I just don't see how they are going to get more resolution out of 29MP or so versus 45MP.

In the Merrills all 3 layer are used for resolution.

I'm not buying it until I see the images.

Anyway, I'm mainly after the DP1Q because of the improved lens.

Post Thanks / Like

@Ute

You are right about the IQ of the existing DP. Flickr among others is a living proof of the performance.
    Hicks and quirks aside it takes though a MF tripod 'slow down' mind set to get the best out of it as far as I can learn. (Well, that counts for most hi-rez cameras indeed. The higher pixel count the more prone to hand- or shutter shake it is).

Diglloyd has BTW a very thorough deep digging series on his site. And then there's his famous tulip flower mega print which is just to admire. Incredible.

Thinking of the new DPQ series it is a shame Sigma did not include an IBIS system. I would have paid almost whatever for it. Uhhh.. not time throwing ones tripod out yet.

Post Thanks / Like

@Ute

You are right about the IQ of the existing DP. Flickr among others is a living proof of the performance.
    Hicks and quirks aside it takes though a MF tripod 'slow down' mind set to get the best out of it as far as I can learn. (Well, that counts for most hi-rez cameras indeed. The higher pixel count the more prone to hand- or shutter shake it is).

Diglloyd has BTW a very thorough deep digging series on his site. And then there's his famous tulip flower mega print which is just to admire. Incredible.

Thinking of the new DPQ series it is a shame Sigma did not include an IBIS system. I would have paid almost whatever for it. Uhhh.. not time throwing ones tripod out yet.
    And an EVF option.

The New SD1 might be the camera to wait for ?

Maybe a mirror less w interchangeable lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

The latest from sigma rumors.

"An announcement from Sigma − initially scheduled for the second half of May − is expected in the coming days, with presumably more info on the availability (and perhaps the price) of the dp2 Quattro.

The camera will also be introduced to the public in some selected stores early in July. Therefore, it looks like there is no major delay, suggesting that the issue was probably just a bug in the firmware."

Post Thanks / Like

Love these announcements? Keeps the soup warm.