The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP quattro

The Ute

Anyone hear anything new on the pricing or release date ?

Would have expected some sort of announcement by now.

The Ute

I'm actually most interested in the new DP1 as I do mostly Landscape shooting.

Also, would like to see the updated SD1.

I'm hoping they make a mirror less version w improved low light and autofocus
capability.

Possibly a full frame.

;)

Tim

DP2 Quattro will be available June 15th.
Any hints on price?

I think I will still go ahead with my DP3 purchase, because they have said the first Quattro will be the DP2Q and the DP3Q may be a while off. I'd use a DP2Q more anyway!

The Ute

Any hints on price?

I think I will still go ahead with my DP3 purchase, because they have said the first Quattro will be the DP2Q and the DP3Q may be a while off. I'd use a DP2Q more anyway!

Nothing yet.

I'll keep looking.

I am most interested in the DP1Q.

Also in seeing the updated SD1.

UHDR

I would love to see SD1 with new sensor and live view to go with 18-35mm F1.8. that would be a perfect set with DP2Q and DP3Q

biglouis

I don't want to troll but I am not too sure about the new Quattro's.

I'll have to see some results but what is not impressing me is (a) the larger lens profile which contains pretty much the same lens - but bigger housing due to the motor being outside the camera body, (b) that I've seen claims that the sensitivity improvement is only one-stop. That would not be enough to disaffect me from my existing DP2M and DP3M.

I might consider a DP1M - the reports are that the lens has been improved. But I suppose the bottom line is that I will wait until the notices come in.

LouisB

Tim

I don't want to troll but I am not too sure about the new Quattro's.

I'll have to see some results but what is not impressing me is (a) the larger lens profile which contains pretty much the same lens - but bigger housing due to the motor being outside the camera body, (b) that I've seen claims that the sensitivity improvement is only one-stop. That would not be enough to disaffect me from my existing DP2M and DP3M.

I might consider a DP1M - the reports are that the lens has been improved. But I suppose the bottom line is that I will wait until the notices come in.

LouisB
Hi Louis,

My reason for being a Sigma user is it gives me what I believe is the best IQ for a low price but most importantly in a small package. I have adapted to the camera's other shortcomings. I just don't/can't lug large cameras any more. If the DP range didn't exist I would be a RX1 owner for sure (I still do want to try one).

What concerns me also about the Quattros is the overall size.
The unusual shape I don't mind, in fact I applaud it. However I do see its shape as a challenge for a bag or case, as if you boxed it, that box will be quite large if you get my drift?

So, if the Quattro redeems its increase in size with amazing IQ I can adapt and could forgive the size aspect. If it does not then I may just stay with the Merrills. This acceptance is a personal decision thing of course. I will wait like yourself and enjoy what i have now.

BTW: Just took delivery of a DP3 at the low price! :)

Malina DZ

I wish Quattro line also featured IS, OVF/EVF, and a lens no slower than f/1.2. I don't care about light weight and pocketable size.

Tim

I apologize for digressing but alongside the Merrills I would love to see an updated DP2. Something with the DP2 sensor (not Merrill sensor) in a body the size of the Pana GM1. The IQ of the original DP was lost in the Merrills IMO and I'd love to see it back but in an improved body. A DP2 in a GR would be nice!

biglouis

Hi Louis,

My reason for being a Sigma user is it gives me what I believe is the best IQ for a low price but most importantly in a small package. I have adapted to the camera's other shortcomings. I just don't/can't lug large cameras any more. If the DP range didn't exist I would be a RX1 owner for sure (I still do want to try one).

What concerns me also about the Quattros is the overall size.
The unusual shape I don't mind, in fact I applaud it. However I do see its shape as a challenge for a bag or case, as if you boxed it, that box will be quite large if you get my drift?

So, if the Quattro redeems its increase in size with amazing IQ I can adapt and could forgive the size aspect. If it does not then I may just stay with the Merrills. This acceptance is a personal decision thing of course. I will wait like yourself and enjoy what i have now.

BTW: Just took delivery of a DP3 at the low price! :)
Tim, I have similar problems. Due to a progressively weaker back I can't carry heavy cameras - I recently had to give up MF film photography for that reason.

The disappointment was somewhat mitigated by the breathtaking IQ of the DP2M. Hard to justify lugging a Hasselblad when you can get better results on a pixel level with a DP2M!

I also owned a RX1 and I can testify to the fact that it is a fantastic camera. On a purely visual basis I preferred the output to the DP2M, although the DP2M is considerably sharper and more detailed. I only sold the RX1 because I built a system around the A7 - I wish I could have affored to keep both and I would not rule out giving houseroom to the RX1R at some point in the future.

The lens on the RX1 is also a real beauty. I sold mine to justify purchasing the FE 35/2.8 for the A7 but I have to admit, although it is a great piece of glass, it is no match for the RX1 35 lens.

Best of luck

LouisB

UHDR

hmmm....are you sure about the lens housing is bigger? i thought the camera body is quite a lot thinner (but longer side-ways) so that makes it looks like the lens is bigger than before (?) :confused:

my worry with the new Q is that they have gone down in pixel for the two layers of the sensor, which to me sounds like we are back to the guessing-game like bayer array/fuji's x-trans filter.

I got the dp2m/3m but I have hold off getting DP1m as i think the M's can benefit from further pixel count when it comes to landscape (and keeping the per-pixel sharpness). If the Q turns out to be a flop, i think i will get SD1m + 18-35mm instead.... more weight, but at least im happy with the result. :)

at the moment, most of my landscape shots that I'm happy with are done by stitching two shots together from DP2m/3m. if DP1Q can achieve the same without stitching, then i think we have a winner :thumbs:

The Ute

I'm waiting for the new DP1Q also.

Hoping that the new lens for it improves the image quality even further.

Right now it is slightly fuzzy around the edges.

The images will tell the tale.

The new SD1 should also be very interesting.

Would like to see a mirror-less version.