The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nodal slide for DP3

Tim

Hi all,

I have a DP2M and a DP3 and read through the threads on panoramics using Sigmas. I notice the 140mm nodal slide is long enough for the DP2M but was also wanting to optionally use the DP3 for panos and was wondering what length I would need for that camera? I would rather buy one slide to suit both.

Thanks

phips243

Last edited:

phips243

Actually a shorter slide will do also...The DP3M only got a depth oft 80.6mm, including the lens...the DP2M got less than 60...

phips243

I guess it depends on the rotor you are using. It probably would be good if the slide would be long enough to be mounted on the rotor properly. If the rotor got a diameter of, let's say 80mm, a 100mm slide might be too short...

Tim

How important is the Indexing Rotor? Is it just a tool of convenience and speed?
Most quality ballheads have degree markings, can I just use those manually with a nodal slide?

Last edited:

phips243

Well...the problem with a ballhead is leveling. It's no issue as long as a (well built) tripod is standing on perfectly straight underground. As soon as it doesn't, you will run into trouble: You normally would use the ballhead to level the camera above it. And then leave it and use the ballhead's rotor with the degree markings. However: While the camera is leveled (for the moment) the turn axis of the ballhead's rotor isn't, since it sits underneath the ball that does the leveling. Of course you could try to adjust the lenghts of the tripod legs to level the rotor. But that would be very complicated and almost impossible to achieve (if you want accuracy). So the best option would be to use the ballhead (or preferably a leveling base, since more accurate) to level an indexing rotor. One other option would be to use the ballhead upside down. Sounds insane, but there are adapters to achieve that. But then you have to “retrofit“ your ballhead every time...

I just ordered this panorama head:
mantona Panorama Head 360°, walimex & walimex pro by Mediaresort

I wanted something as compact, lightweight and uncomplicated as possible. It is good enough for my DP2M, since it got an 15° indexing (including ratchets). 18° would be perfect for 30mm @ APS-C but 15 are close enough for me. More overlapping isn't bad anyway.
It however won't do for the DP3M...(11°).

Btw...This table might be helpful:
Tabellen, Daten und Infos fr Panoramafotografen

It's in German but it should be self explanatory. The first value in the table (at the bottom of the site) is the number of steps/photos for a 360° pano, the second the degrees for each step.

Since I mentioned “compact, lightweight and uncomplicated“ above...I got a nice (and expensive) setup for multirow panos. Manfrotto 303 SPH, including a manfrotto leveling base. But it is too bulky and heavy (5kg, including the tripod, but not the camera)...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cx2i7rmo1wqq8ip/Pano.jpg

Last edited:

phips243

Btw...in case you wonder about the cable going down from my DP2M in that last image, it's no remote cable but part of my external battery solution...

It's the “battery dummy“ of the Sigma SAC-5 AC adapter connected to a 10.000 mAh battery pack (Anker Astro 3E) via a “H-barrel“ to USB cable.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5isnufduth8qv8r/external battery.jpg

Unfortunately it's unuseable since my RRS L-plate is mounted to my DP2M (the plate blocks the opening for the SAC-5 cable at the side of the DP2M's battery compartment). At least I can still use it with my DP1M...

Last edited:

phips243

I received the Sunway 100mm nodal slide today, as well as the rotor 2 days earlier. I can confirm that the 100mm version is more than suited for your needs. And it seems to be machined very well as well. But as I said, the rotor won't do for the DP3M...

A quick and dirty photograph of the thing with the DP2M mounted via the RRS L-plate...I haven't bothered to find the nodal point yet. It's just to give an impression...

Last edited: