The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2x - TIPS & IMAGES

Hello Everyone!

I am new to GetDPI and was curious if there are still many members using the older DP2 series compacts?

I was considering the DP2 Merrill after reading through Quentin_Bargate's thread, but have decided to start out with the DP2x to see if I like the workflow of both the camera and PP software.

I noticed a number of great tips in the DP2M thread including the following:

- over expose .3 to .7 for the shadows at time of shot
- reduce exposure in PP and add fill light
- set neutral colour mode in camera
- use Sunlight for outdoor shooting
- set sharpening at -2 in SPP

Would all these tips above also apply to the older DP2 series? If not, can anyone suggest some useful tips for someone just starting out with this compact camera?

Thank you.

PS - I have downloaded sample RAW files and have made myself somewhat familiar with the SPP software.

I should be receiving my "new to me" camera in the next week or so. :)

Last edited:

RitterRunkel

- over expose .3 to .7 for the shadows at time of shot
- reduce exposure in PP and add fill light
- set neutral colour mode in camera
- use Sunlight for outdoor shooting
- set sharpening at -2 in SPP
I still have a DP2x. I rarely use it, since DP1M+DP3M are a great couple ... but I think you'll have fun.

I wouldn't overexpose with the DP2x, since the x-models tend to clip highlights (due to AFE even faster than the original or s-models). It seems to be the price for being quicker and more accurate in AF, also the white balance is nearer at reality with the x. Second, the old DP has no luminance line noise ("banding") like the Merrill. There is color banding at higher ISOs. But I think overexposing will not help here. So my advice is not to overexpose (except for scenes without highlights).

Fill light is acceptable up to +0.3 for most scenes - in my eyes. Beyond that it becomes visible (wide soft halos etc). I personally like to increase contrast parallel to fill light - to maintain a natural image contrast.

I reduce sharpening just a little ... -0.7 at the Merrill seems natural to me. Don't know, why I should decrease it even more. With the DPx I reduce even less ... I think I've used -0.2 most often. But I'm not sure anymore, since the last editing of a DP2x image is quite a while ago. =)