The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Quattro samples have been posted

G43

That clearly explains the need of a second camera system which actually is my case anyhow. Who would throw out an EM1 and replace it with a 3 x DPQ?
I was afraid the DPQs would not show improvements on the shutter speed side. It is of course almost self explaining as they would have to provide new lens designs for all three of them. IMO SIGMA really should have redesigned their lenses with faster leave shutters making the cameras more versatile. At *least* they could have built in a true two stop ND filter a la Fuji X100.

Nah.. I can argue my self to death, it will not change anything ;-)

G43

@ UHDR

The images under the lake scene is so overexposed that it's not worth processing. To my book such shots should end up in the garbage bin. Those images are drowned in flare.
Would have been more informative if Sigma had shown better examples showing highlight clipping in an image that was still worth to save.
To their credit I would maybe say that they show courage to use such poor images and try to demonstrate how their in camera processor deals with things vs Pro Photo SW? But again, there's not much evidence yet to evaluate the IQ from the DP2Q. Neither if the Photo Pro handles the RAW fast and well for super prints.

foveon

.. Neither if the Photo Pro handles the RAW fast and well for super prints.
fast: NO
well: Photo Pro is the best raw converter, because its the only one^^

Sigma Camera is a world by its own; as I said above: the only reason to get a Sigma Camera is image quality, and the larger the print, the better.
I have here 60x90 cm prints, (24x36 inch I think) where you can see details from the trees at horizon.

UHDR

@ UHDR

The images under the lake scene is so overexposed that it's not worth processing. To my book such shots should end up in the garbage bin. Those images are drowned in flare.
Would have been more informative if Sigma had shown better examples showing highlight clipping in an image that was still worth to save.
To their credit I would maybe say that they show courage to use such poor images and try to demonstrate how their in camera processor deals with things vs Pro Photo SW? But again, there's not much evidence yet to evaluate the IQ from the DP2Q. Neither if the Photo Pro handles the RAW fast and well for super prints.
very strange. when i posted the link, it was to another page with shots of birds in studio. the whole page was in japanese..... i guess they only want to share that within japan... :banghead:

EDIT: hmm.... now the first link is to the birds... im confused....:banghead:

G43

@gond1964
Wow, what a long chat over at DPR.
Hard to judge those images. In camera processed and who knows what we are looking at?
It is beyond doubt big OOC JPEG files.

G43

I am impressed about the clarity the image with the tree shows. In the bottom of the photo just above the green wheat, which is in focus.

The Ute

I am impressed about the clarity the image with the tree shows. In the bottom of the photo just above the green wheat, which is in focus.
You can do just as well as that w a Merrill.

Nothing special there.

G43

Maybe not. It is hard to tell. I do not have a reference shot to see.

Foveon ownership is a new kettle of fish for me. I've shot film the most of my life with MF cameras. My first digital camera was a 5D. Then after years a 6D and now EM1.
Should the DPQ's disappoint, I am planing to buy the Pentax 645Z. Sounds contradictory? Not at all. I wish to make large super prints where the goal is to cram each and every pixel down on paper. The EM1 offer very rich 30 x 40 cm and a tad above prints. At larger sizes I feel the prints starts to wash out.

The Ute

Maybe not. It is hard to tell. I do not have a reference shot to see.

Foveon ownership is a new kettle of fish for me. I've shot film the most of my life with MF cameras. My first digital camera was a 5D. Then after years a 6D and now EM1.
Should the DPQ's disappoint, I am planing to buy the Pentax 645Z. Sounds contradictory? Not at all. I wish to make large super prints where the goal is to cram each and every pixel down on paper. The EM1 offer very rich 30 x 40 cm and a tad above prints. At larger sizes I feel the prints starts to wash out.
I have made stunning 24 x 36 prints w the Merrill.

I suspect the Quattro can do the same just not better.

;)

G43

Sure the DPs digs out the subtle micro details and is a champion showing us the macro details.

johnnygoesdigital

How do you get the software to work? I was only able to view pics on the LCD of the DP3. I was never able to export any photographs. That was disappointing because the Foveon tech is unique. I know SPP has a reputation, but not even being able to export a photo really sucks! You really need at least 3 or 4 batteries too.

Last edited: