Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: First real review of the DPQ2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First real review of the DPQ2

Quote Originally Posted by adsf View Post
    I hate those digilloyd links... I bet most people cant view the content. and i wont subscribe to the whole page just for one test...
    There's a lot alternatives to hate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G43 View Post
    ....From where in BIH is you wonderful picture?....
    its near Jaice, there are 2 lakes and between them there is a lot of tiny mills or whatever there buildings are. They are historical,
    Maybe we see in BIH, maybe I go to Serbia later this year, I havent been there for about 20 or 25 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not exactly been in Jaice, but close. On the way from Sarajevo to Banja Luka.

Should you come to Serbia PM me.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course; here we are at the western end of Hungarian Plain, and you are at the south- east end, so I just have to cross the plain. I have in mind going to Woiwodina for some time, but my dude ( owner of a DP1m ) has had a bad bike accident 14 month ago where his leg got completly smashed and he is not real well yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Uooops... no good for your Dude.

In 2012 I got hit by an idiot while I was slowly cruising at 40 km/h on my Wild Star. He passed the red light to make a quick left turn. Hit me so hard I smashed my pelvis and sacrum region. I did never recover well.

Pass auf if you dare to come to the wild east

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I should get my DP2 Q tomorrow.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    I should get my DP2 Q tomorrow.
    Can't wait to see your photos and hear your operating experience!

"Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Post Thanks / Like

I did never recover well.
    sorry to hear that,
    but so you have something to talk about with my dude, beside the DP1m.
    What I understand you ordered all 3.
    To the wild east we will go with a big landy discovery.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes all 3 of them

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Can't wait to see your photos and hear your operating experience!

Might take a few days. I have my DP2m and Sony. A7r for comparison.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Quentin

Please let us know your verdict.

A7R is awesome and critical to shoot with.

Post Thanks / Like

Might take a few days. I have my DP2m and Sony. A7r for comparison.
    I understand, take all the time you need. What I am excited about is to see YOUR pics. Whether it is your street shooting or countryside landscapes Quentin, you are the DPMx shooter that got my interest in the Merrills. I was sadden to hear when your Merrill(s) were stolen and hope you have recouped from such a tragedy.

Kind regards,
    Darr
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am on the verge of purchasing a DP3M and am awaiting my EVF from China.

I might go for a DP1Q but only if the new lens makes a significant improvement over the DP1M.

Also awaiting my loaner DP2Q for testing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do hope I wont be disappointed...
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered a 2M and 3M and a bunch of accessories. Should be here on Wednesday. Woohoo!

I also might go for the DP1Q, but then again, the Quattros seem more like high-megapixel Bayer images that have been sharpened, so perhaps I'll use an SLR system instead of spend the money on another DP. ISO 100 is way too noisy on the Quattros. I hope that changes.

The image quality of the Merrill cameras are unique enough that they're worth owning, no matter what, even if you have a full system that you prefer to use from Canon/Nikon/Sony/Pentax MF, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The DP2M is the finest "panoramic" camera I have used. That includes not just genuine panoramas, but also multi row stitched image interiors. The ledge to edge sharpness, and lack of distortion makes very high quality stitching relatively easy. The end results can be amazing. It is also a very lightweight kit to carry around, including lightweight tripod and compact pano head.
    Quentin Bargate
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjp85 View Post
    ISO 100 is way too noisy on the Quattros. I hope that changes.
    What do you mean. I see zero noise at ISO 100.

Quote Originally Posted by rjp85 View Post
    The image quality of the Merrill cameras are unique enough that they're worth owning, no matter what, even if you have a full system that you prefer to use from Canon/Nikon/Sony/Pentax MF, etc.
    '

Indeed unique IQ.

The DPM series will top my Olympus EM1 system.

Post Thanks / Like

Quattro seems to me the apn (APSC, FF, MF for I have not seen enough pictures) that is closest to reality, regarding the photo essay (colors, materials, textures,. ..).

To me, this apn, marks a turning point in photographic rendering, compared to Bayers (APSC, FF).
    The difference is not only from the point of view of numbers rendered details, but color rendering, velvety images from quattro (A bit like a yard on a beautiful matte paper), a cleaner overall appearance, more pure colors, without artifacts, less digital.

From my point of view, because of the vagueness of the bayer interpolation in color on photos from apn bayer sensor, I notice a big difference compared to the photographic rendering quattro.

This difference is made way well in these photos, at least for me I notice many (photos that I posted links):
    Quattro:
    http://www.yaotomi.co.jp/blog/walk/SDIM0058.jpg
    This picture, if you accented it full of details that will emerge, even in the most distant trees, many more than what I was used to seeing the pictures of merrill.
    SIGMA DP2 Quattro ? ??? ?? 2014 ?first on? - ??????

https://flic.kr/p/odPRvq

https://flic.kr/p/nVQCUY

D800e:
    http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v45/p912550037.jpg
    http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v43/p575706362.jpg

Pentax 645D :
    http://photo1.ganref.jp/impression/0...d_smp_01_l.jpg
    http://photo1.ganref.jp/impression/0...lens2_02_l.jpg

Based on imaging resource images, quattro returns an equivalent level of details sony A7R. Except in the tissues of bright red color.
    Re: observation: Sigma Camera Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

And even interpolating we keep a very fine detail reproduction.
    Re: Quattro vs Bayers, rendered, details.: Sigma Camera Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

A gallery with beautiful pictures made with quattro.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/graham...7645675562273/

The merrill, that the smallest details are very marked, and contrasted it loses realism, subtlety, as general report. And the colors are so subtle and precise as the quattro.

Post Thanks / Like

The DP2M is the finest "panoramic" camera I have used. That includes not just genuine panoramas, but also multi row stitched image interiors. The ledge to edge sharpness, and lack of distortion makes very high quality stitching relatively easy. The end results can be amazing. It is also a very lightweight kit to carry around, including lightweight tripod and compact pano head.
    Based on Quentin's pix and comments (and diglloyd reviews), I bought both a dp2m and dp3m. Since I don't shoot people (with a camera) I use the dp2m for panos when I want to go wider - works great.
    Best Regards, Paul - PaulOsgoodPhotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Panos done by the DPM's must be breathtaking.

I can't wait to get my cameras...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Panos done by the DPM's must be breathtaking.

I can't wait to get my cameras...
    The are

I would expect similar results using the DP2Q, which I received today. First samples posted in a Quattro shots thread.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

I just post here some food for the brain :

The thing is that the Q seems to be underdevelopment even on the market. Might be SPP, might be the firmware, might be the sensor ... who know ? It is not the lens; that's sure. So we might find (more often than we want) a sort of noise under some conditions. A pattern noise not as aleatory as the Merrill. A clear noise. Then I remembered that Foveon have patented and idea. This idea was to create "light holes" into the top layer of the sensor to bring light to the bottom layer.

Here : FOVEON PATENTS you can find a load of interesting infos.

This one, particularly, attracted my attention : US2011057238 (A1)

I think they use it for the first time on the Quattro resulting in a more geometrical global image, at the pixel level. I mean, all the stuff is done on the top layer no ? So, for SIGMA it is cheaper to print and assemble the two bottom layers, 4.9 Mp each, high yield. They focus on the top layer then. I'm sure a lot of work have been done to reduce the chromatic noise "on sensor". The patent above allow it : It simple allow more light to reach the bottom, roughly.

So the Quattro is simply an old technology coupled with a sophisticated grid assimilated at the "blue layer", a grid of 19.6 Millions of pixel with a big part of those pixels being depleted... and this is visible. It have an impact on the vivid and organic rendering we used to see and mucho liked with the Merrill. Organic is the term. On the Merrill, you see the pixels. But the overall balance, clarity and contrasts make it just more real. With the Q you have more resolution (not that much) but a more structured sensor. And this is visible. You see the pixels, you see the pattern and you have a lot less contrast (certainly due to the depleted photo collectors).

Since the top layer is not complete and coherent in the blue wavelength you lose luminance. You loose contrast and clarity. So overall, the DP2 Quattro looks good when you reduce it to the Merrill ... It look "foveon" resized at 15 Mp. When you resize a Q full picture to 15 Mp you have a stunning result. But you do not have any more the power of 19Mp resolution. A 19,6 Mp full X3 normal foveon might have flaws but would explode the Q, propelling it to Jupiter and beyond. On detailed landscapes, the Q just turn "pointillism" and structured. Not organic like old foveons. Some may like. But as soon as I shot with it I didn't recognized a foveon. No way. Remember me when I wanted to sale my DP2x to take the first sony nex. The nex was not a fovoen at all and returned the camera and bought a DP2x again.

With the Q this is not that extreme, ok. You have a stunning resolution, it is more quick, colors are ok (same for the DP3m) but it seems a part of the soul left the shell.

So, how to make the quattro shining, really shining ? My idea is making the top layer denser; 24 Mp, why not, maybe a lot more. Then the camera record the datas and down-sample it to 16,5Mp via the processor. Then !!! You will have a pure image: Effective Pixels 16.5 mp / Sensor photo-detectors 24mp. So they must go Higher in MP on the top in order to increase final output in size. It is maybe actually the case on the Quattro, who know ?

A good firmware upgrade for SIGMA would be to introduce a special raw mode in the Q. The foveon mode. Make a raw not medium nor small. Make a Merrill raw of 15 Mp. Then, ppl who like foveon rendering will use it and the other who need only resolution and pointillism will use the full mode.

Then we will have something superior than the Merrills : An odd shaped Merrill without the flaws of the Merrill due to "improved" top layer.

What do you think about it, guys ?
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Ute View Post
    Unless you are talking an A7r it is not even going to be close.

Actually, after comparing the Quattro to my A7 in a number of real-world shots, I came away with the conclusion that the A7 is quite close in detail to the Quattro. And actually, the A7 seems to have better color reproduction in some small details.

After my test shoot, I like the output of the Quattro quite a bit, but I'll leave the Q vs. M comparison to those who can shoot both side by side. The Quattro definitely had that "Foveon look" compared to my A7 though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post
    I just post here some food for the brain :

The thing is that the Q seems to be underdevelopment even on the market. Might be SPP, might be the firmware, might be the sensor ... who know ? It is not the lens; that's sure. So we might find (more often than we want) a sort of noise under some conditions. A pattern noise not as aleatory as the Merrill. A clear noise. Then I remembered that Foveon have patented and idea. This idea was to create "light holes" into the top layer of the sensor to bring light to the bottom layer.

Here : FOVEON PATENTS you can find a load of interesting infos.

This one, particularly, attracted my attention : US2011057238 (A1)

I think they use it for the first time on the Quattro resulting in a more geometrical global image, at the pixel level. I mean, all the stuff is done on the top layer no ? So, for SIGMA it is cheaper to print and assemble the two bottom layers, 4.9 Mp each, high yield. They focus on the top layer then. I'm sure a lot of work have been done to reduce the chromatic noise "on sensor". The patent above allow it : It simple allow more light to reach the bottom, roughly.

So the Quattro is simply an old technology coupled with a sophisticated grid assimilated at the "blue layer", a grid of 19.6 Millions of pixel with a big part of those pixels being depleted... and this is visible. It have an impact on the vivid and organic rendering we used to see and mucho liked with the Merrill. Organic is the term. On the Merrill, you see the pixels. But the overall balance, clarity and contrasts make it just more real. With the Q you have more resolution (not that much) but a more structured sensor. And this is visible. You see the pixels, you see the pattern and you have a lot less contrast (certainly due to the depleted photo collectors).

Since the top layer is not complete and coherent in the blue wavelength you lose luminance. You loose contrast and clarity. So overall, the DP2 Quattro looks good when you reduce it to the Merrill ... It look "foveon" resized at 15 Mp. When you resize a Q full picture to 15 Mp you have a stunning result. But you do not have any more the power of 19Mp resolution. A 19,6 Mp full X3 normal foveon might have flaws but would explode the Q, propelling it to Jupiter and beyond. On detailed landscapes, the Q just turn "pointillism" and structured. Not organic like old foveons. Some may like. But as soon as I shot with it I didn't recognized a foveon. No way. Remember me when I wanted to sale my DP2x to take the first sony nex. The nex was not a fovoen at all and returned the camera and bought a DP2x again.

With the Q this is not that extreme, ok. You have a stunning resolution, it is more quick, colors are ok (same for the DP3m) but it seems a part of the soul left the shell.

So, how to make the quattro shining, really shining ? My idea is making the top layer denser; 24 Mp, why not, maybe a lot more. Then the camera record the datas and down-sample it to 16,5Mp via the processor. Then !!! You will have a pure image: Effective Pixels 16.5 mp / Sensor photo-detectors 24mp. So they must go Higher in MP on the top in order to increase final output in size. It is maybe actually the case on the Quattro, who know ?

A good firmware upgrade for SIGMA would be to introduce a special raw mode in the Q. The foveon mode. Make a raw not medium nor small. Make a Merrill raw of 15 Mp. Then, ppl who like foveon rendering will use it and the other who need only resolution and pointillism will use the full mode.

Then we will have something superior than the Merrills : An odd shaped Merrill without the flaws of the Merrill due to "improved" top layer.

What do you think about it, guys ?
    Interesting thoughts Hulyss, but I do not have the knowledge to go into a debate about this, but I agree, that this Quattro does not have that "Foveon-look" or what we shall call it, and that was what got me to buy all 3 Merrills, and I like them all, even they are different, and with some shortcomings, I had hoped would be adressed without sacrificing anything, so I am not sure I will buy the new Quattro.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I tryed - DP1M vs. Quattro (take care not to take the SD1M instead of DP1M, I did the first time) ............at iso 100, still life.

Look at the red fabric (with other kinds of red fabrics showed at the same place), ...............there is NO details from Quattro !!!!!!!

But beautifull details from DP1M, and we know the DP2M is even better !!!!

The ruler: A lot of cameras show this not pure white, DPMerrills does, and I love it !!!, but not the Quattro.

I am sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

I compared it to D800E
    The red fabric goes very wrong with the DPQ. So does the knitting bundles where orange and red almost looks the same.
    The sharpness however looks nice with the DPQ

Post Thanks / Like

I compared this doll inside ISO 200 from DP1m and DP2q but the images arent made very carefully. Beside the difference in focal lenght there are differences in POV and even in focus. so for me. its hard to tell something

Post Thanks / Like

Colors can be judged.

I think the DPQ stands out unable to deal with red/orange properly.

Post Thanks / Like

"...These images are JPEGs straight from the camera..."
    Hard to say so

Post Thanks / Like

I continue to be frustrated by the lack of color management in SPP and consistency with other color managed environments. When I output from SPP (ProPhoto RGB) and open in PS the colors are rendered differently. This reduces setting the color controls in SPP to guess work. Fortunately, I can usually correct the colors in PS. But I retain doubts as to whether I have set the color controls in SPP optimally. Just my 2 cents.
    Best Regards, Paul - PaulOsgoodPhotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I am a subscriber to REID REVIEWS and to those that are not, you may be interested in more reviews of the DP2Q:

Hello,

Today I published a full field review of the new Sigma DP2 Quattro. Coming up next will be a report on side by side studio tests of the DP2 Quattro, Sigma DP2 Merrill and Leica T. I'll also be looking at the Quattro's potential as a BW camera.

Cheers,
    Sean Reid
    Publisher
    Welcome to ReidReviews

Post Thanks / Like

Well, there is still hope (the red fabric I and others have written about, there is a clear difference when RAW)

UPDATED - Sigma dp2 Quattro First Shots posted - adding a raw conversion to the mix

and here is the comparometer = You can put Quattro vs. Nikon D810 now = Not bad exept for the red fabric, but then there is the explanation in the link ABOVE, and also exept for the not so white ruler, but then again = The Nikon D810 does not have that either

Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

Post Thanks / Like

Is it real serious to compare a DP1m to a DP2q, why they dont use a DP2m?

Post Thanks / Like

It is possible to recover the missing patterns in red cloth.

Example from a jpg from a raw.
    Dp2 q interpolated 36Mpix.
    http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/80...dcrop36bis.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by foveon View Post
    Is it real serious to compare a DP1m to a DP2q, why they dont use a DP2m?
    I agree it would be much better to use the DP2M as a comparison (I asked them long time ago to do a test about the DP2M), but the problem is: They have never done a thorough test about it, like they have about the DP1M,therefore they do not have the pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I said that a while ago (what you see in spp is not what you get after conversion)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kyndel View Post
    Interesting thoughts Hulyss, but I do not have the knowledge to go into a debate about this, but I agree, that this Quattro does not have that "Foveon-look" or what we shall call it, and that was what got me to buy all 3 Merrills, and I like them all, even they are different, and with some shortcomings, I had hoped would be adressed without sacrificing anything, so I am not sure I will buy the new Quattro.
    Yes, enjoy the Merrills. I will certainly get the DP3Q and make a proper review because in one year from now, maybe, the technology would have improved, like in the Merrill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by adsf View Post
    I said that a while ago (what you see in spp is not what you get after conversion)
    And there's a big difference in contrast when you export B&W images from SPP to TIFF 16-bit and open them in LR (on 10-bit monitor). SPP has a lot to improve.

Post Thanks / Like

Now it really came down to the IQ between M and Q ... I sincerely wonder what much more we seem to be gifted with the new generation Q?

diglloyd: Pixel for Pixel, *Nothing* Beats a Sigma DP Merrill

Coming back home from a Ming Thein's WS in London, I just had some fun with an A7R in Heathrow airport. Think I would not be able to bond to this camera really. Feels clunky compared to my present EM1.. and really also to my a few months ago former 6D workhorse. Not relevant in this thread, just wished to mention.

If bulk gear is no obstacle, I saw live on stage Ming processing his Pentax 645Z/SDM lenses images and the outcome wipes the floor of any Sigma camera. It makes you tremble of quality enjoyments on Retina screens and I have to see one day super prints from such rich files.
    Not my way to get the best files for prints. I cannot carry such a monster camera... due to age. But I can get something stunning enough by the DPMs. I am now looking where to buy an Epson 9900.

But I can carry DP1M, 2 and 3 covering the focal lengths I normally use. Important when youth was a pastense and aging a future

I give less credit to accurate colors, It's not a criteria important making outstanding images, but merely just some math of the ideal.

Pictures on the wall speaks their unique language.

Post Thanks / Like

A review of the DP2Q.

As we say : All is in the image

http://outlivingblog.wordpress.com/2...ill/#more-1251

Post Thanks / Like

I agree to the conclusion in the review.

Thanks for posting this HB.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like the Quattro may have a fatal flaw, as reported (in English) on the Sigma rumours website The Quattro and the "Beer Garden" Issue

I have seen a similar issue with a red sign in the Thames shot I posted in the Shots thread.

Possibly this might be caused by the difference in resolution between the top and bottom two layers. There is no luminance difference between the blue and yellow that can be detected by the top layer. If the top layer does not detect the edge, then you are left with the low resolution bottom layers.

If this cannot be corrected in firmware or SPP, its probably game over for the Quattro as a serious photographic tool.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

Ouchh ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If the detail has not been captured by the top layer, its gone, never to return .

If this is the correct analysis, then the entire Quattro concept is, sadly, surely doomed.

and I was just getting to like the DP2Q
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

This is sad Quentin. Are sure of there's no cure to it?

I am just wondering how Sigma could launch a camera where texture becomes invisible. Like the test team consisted of blind people?

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure at this point owners and potential buyers feels themselves sort of let down. We expected sooo much of the new Foveon sensor. We hoped it would show the same smack detail as the Merrills. We hoped the Merrills flaws would be gone. We hoped the camera to be more versatile in usage but it just got faster.
    IMO Sigma laid out a truly new set of oddness to an odd design. What is then left to like?

The marketing drums though left us unable to breath for quite a period.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well the first thing you need from a camera is predictable behaviour. In a DP2Q image (if the issue cannot be corrected in firmware or SPP), you may never know when the system will break down and fail to resolve detail in a particular part of a scene because there is insufficient luminance info captured by the top layer.

I have seen a breakdown in my Thames image. The Marriott sign was not properly resolved. That was dark red on a dark background. So the issue may not be confined to yellow on blue, as in the sample on the Rumours site. Note the Merrill image shown on the Rumours site does not suffer from the problem.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

This is sad Quentin. Are sure of there's no cure to it?

I am just wondering how Sigma could launch a camera where texture becomes invisible. Like the test team consisted of blind people?
    If its really because of the lack of brightness contrast, that the top layer cannot (i mean "can only") see, there is no cure (if its strictly one color per layer)
    Last edited by adsf; 21st July 2014 at 09:12.