The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First real review of the DPQ2

G43

I have a Fuji X100 (12 MP Bayer) that even in APS-C format has the fat pixel character :)

D700 is cult.

Kyndel

Yes the mosaic pitures got my interest again, too.

But I am still on the fence to get one more DP2M ;) - not sure what to choose now

Kyndel

I have a Fuji X100 (12 MP Bayer) that even in APS-C format has the fat pixel character :)

D700 is cult.
Yes, agree,I have the X100S and shoot portraits in Astia, love it, but I do not get consistent outcome with landscapes or city-scapes - here the DPM.s are better.

Sold my D700, sorry to say.

foveon

...I defend SIGMA products since ages now....
...... O' my God... SPP 6 is the most ridiculous piece of dung I ever used. ...
Dont get the point. Either you have a long experience with sigma or you are surprised by SPP. I know Sigma Camera since SD9 and nothing they do will surprise me.
Maybe a little surprise was their idea to bring out a wooden SD1 after the desaster with the SD1.:cool:

tray271

I was lucky and got all my Merrill cameras at the nec show in march ..£299 brand new boxed..to me its a no brainer just buy dp1m,dp2m,dp3m and wait until photokina in September ...canon have got new stuff ,sony will have new stuff and who knows maybe even sigma may have an announcement ...you can near enough get all 3 merrills for the price of the q

G43

Yes, agree,I have the X100S and shoot portraits in Astia, love it, but I do not get consistent outcome with landscapes or city-scapes - here the DPM.s are better.

Sold my D700, sorry to say.
I was talking about the X100 without 'S'. Fewer pixels and fatter.

:)

foveon

...canon have got new stuff ,sony will have new stuff ...
IMO all of them face a basic problem, three layers and each of them eats light.
In video 3chip technology shows the other way, 3 chips side by side and color channels are seperated by a prism. This needs space.

Hulyss Bowman

Dont get the point. Either you have a long experience with sigma or you are surprised by SPP. I know Sigma Camera since SD9 and nothing they do will surprise me.
Maybe a little surprise was their idea to bring out a wooden SD1 after the desaster with the SD1.:cool:
Because I can't make it work on my über computer, and trust me, I know computers (java programing of some MMORPG games).

I did a little rebel humoristic review of the Q. Have fun :)

Fun and facts

Kofronj

IMO all of them face a basic problem, three layers and each of them eats light.
In video 3chip technology shows the other way, 3 chips side by side and color channels are seperated by a prism. This needs space.
And in fact, the very first camera built by Foveon did exactly that... :lecture:

Future

No guys... I am back with my interest in the DPQ series.

Given a longer time studying the Aperture Mosaic series from Lloyd of the OOC files leaves me with very little to criticize. This is a flagship per pixel count camera.
The corner to corner sharpness is unmatched by any camera.

There must be a way around regaining the contrast even so it cannot be a DPM like contrast.
But then comparing to i.e. A7R the lack of inherent noise the DPQ shows perhaps leads to a more milky look. The A7R images seems quite harsher and gritty.

The Lloyd series also tells me that many of the image samples we have seen on the net is simply miserable recorded.
after you advertising so much ;) I subsribed to diglloyd and my conclusion is similar to yours:
DPQ: higher resolution, less noise, better dynamic range
DPM: better microcontrast and colours (by better colours I mean what hulyss pointed out, no colour smearing in the M), I also note better corner sharpness

Last edited:

PaulO

The diglloyd mosaics paint a better picture for the DPQ. Although still less micro-contrast than the DPM, similar resolution and better (more vibrant) colors. I believe he'll be doing a mosaic comparison with the DP2M.

Last edited:

G43

He did the dolls scene comparing DP2Q and DP2M... the DP2Q didn't impress me much. The mosaics does.
I am waiting for much more from Lloyd. He did a very extended, deep digging and long lasting test of the DPM's.

I am excited to hear those of you who had a loaner. There must be something to report about.

Future

He did the dolls scene comparing DP2Q and DP2M... the DP2Q didn't impress me much. The mosaics does.
I am waiting for much more from Lloyd. He did a very extended, deep digging and long lasting test of the DPM's.

I am excited to hear those of you who had a loaner. There must be something to report about.
comparing the mosaic of DP2M and DP2Q...man the Quattro is a big loser in my eyes! particularly if you compare the bottom right, so much more detail and micro-contrast in the shadow.
maybe this is due to the aggressive NR in the Quattro, but I'm certainly no longer interested in the DP2Q, although Chambers concludes that the Q punches way above its league, even better than 5DMIII.

but I also agree with chambers when he says the colour seems to look better on the Q in the mosaic picture, strange.

The Ute

Color is easy to manipulate in PP.

And the DP2M outshoots the MKIII too.

Only the 800e, A7r, or MF can touch it.

G43

These files are RAW converted to JPEG. So no noise reduction is applied.

With a DPM I would believe it's not necessary to sharpen or increase contrast that much in post, where as a file from the DPQ certainly would need some processing to appear sharp.
This is no other way than how we deal with Beyer RAW.

I have though not seen any good example of excellent PP work by means of SPP6 and later Photoshop or Cap1 etc...