The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First real review of the DPQ2

Future

These files are RAW converted to JPEG. So no noise reduction is applied.

With a DPM I would believe it's not necessary to sharpen or increase contrast that much in post, where as a file from the DPQ certainly would need some processing to appear sharp.
This is no other way than how we deal with Beyer RAW.

I have though not seen any good example of excellent PP work by means of SPP6 and later Photoshop or Cap1 etc...
chambers theorized whether NR is done in camera or by SPP recognizing DPQ files and doing it even if NR is on low.
nobody knows, but the files look very suspicious of aggressive NR or it's just how the sensor is, I have no idea.

The Ute

The Merrill's produce very little noise up to about ISO 800.

And it is easily handled by a good noise reduction PP program like Topaz DeNoise.

G43

chambers theorized whether NR is done in camera or by SPP recognizing DPQ files and doing it even if NR is on low.
nobody knows, but the files look very suspicious of aggressive NR or it's just how the sensor is, I have no idea.
You are right. He did. It is criminal to apply NR to a converted RAW file. :loco:SIGMA!

Kofronj

You are right. He did. It is criminal to apply NR to a converted RAW file. :loco:SIGMA!
Sigma (Foveon) has done this from the very beginning. I'm not unconvinced ALL camera manufacturers don't as well---but the Sigma color data is noisy, and they use some very clever methods to get color and details out. The noise patterns from the Foveon chip is different than CFA chips---and they have to be handled differently. The noise reduction is influenced by WB (I think) as well as the chroma and luma NR settings (that weren't available before the Merrill generation). The magenta/green blotching that you notice in underexposed images is low frequency noise that remains after you take out the high frequency noise---and it's difficult to get rid of. It's a fundamental aspect of the stacked sensor (someone mentioned them liking 'light'---and they do!). Foveon has continuously worked on improving this, and the current generation is much better than the SD9.

With regards to the Quattro, they probably have some tweaking to do---as mentioned, the cameras evolve with newer firmware and software. (Sometimes they may deevolve too... but we hope not!)

G43

I don't know what to do with my hate-love relationship to the DPQ until I try one.
It will soon show what's right and wrong with either sensor, the cameras HW and the PP program.
Even Lloyds scenes are only indicating what to expect for a finished and PP'ed image. He does not process the files, but merely show what you get from a RAW conversion by means of SPP6.
His newly posted bus scene is very demanding and shows the strengths and weaknesses quite clearly. The image is no art, but exposes a lot of the potential the files contend.

I would be able to PP such a file as if it was out of a much higher pixel count and simultaneously get top notch sharpness, contrast and detail. That is of course if the files behaves like recorded by a Bayer sensor, which is unanswered for now.

G43

I tend to forget about *rendering*. The naked files renders unemotionally. I am not touched by those files. Like the output is merely technical and sort of dead.
I get a totally different feeling looking at files like not only by the DPMs, but certainly also files produced by the 645Z or the A7S low ISO.

G43

I have stared and stared at the Mosaic files. There is no doubt the DPM trumps the DPQ regarding 3D and pop. Amazing.

G43

I have downloaded a few of the images here on this site Sigma dp2 Quattro - zdj
and processed them in Photoshop.
This is actually not quite serious, but it indicates what kind of DR and latitude the files shows. Imaging I had the RAW file.. it would be a different conclusion found below:

It is possible to dig out tremendous contrast by using curves in PS. Hue and color adjustments. Dodge and burn. Two or three sharpening passes seems adequate. One unsharpen mask at appr. 25-25% at appr. 100 pix level, one smart sharpening pass at 100%, 0,2 pix.
It is almost impossible to generate halo effects or make noise visible.
Dodging high lights in the shadows really develop pretty deep.

It is very very promising. But again my experiment is a simpletons work. Not really useful.

foveon

I have downloaded a few of the images here on this site Sigma dp2 Quattro - zdj
and processed them in Photoshop.
This is actually not quite serious, but it indicates what kind of DR and latitude the files shows. Imaging I had the RAW file.. it would be a different conclusion found below:

It is possible to dig out tremendous contrast by using curves in PS. Hue and color adjustments. Dodge and burn. Two or three sharpening passes seems adequate. One unsharpen mask at appr. 25-25% at appr. 100 pix level, one smart sharpening pass at 100%, 0,2 pix.
It is almost impossible to generate halo effects or make noise visible.
Dodging high lights in the shadows really develop pretty deep.

It is very very promising. But again my experiment is a simpletons work. Not really useful.
One thing is to improve micro contrast and sharpness, done in software, another to get the details, only OOC. Interpolation kills details, on a Bayer or a Q.

G43

Yes, but that makes neither useless. PP is not only about contrast and details.
I can't imagine a photo life without the PP. I need to make local adjustments on all my work. I would guess that would be the case with the DPM files as well.

I was curious to see what a lousy JPEG file would layer. What impress the most is the lack of noise even you pull or push the file hard.

:)

G43

I did all the files from the Polish site. That is those which were not shaken, subject out of focus and ETTR. There is not much left on the site to use for a judgement.
What I found is covered in my post above, but there's some color adjustment issues that Lightroom and Photoshop does not quite do right. Just about close to right. The JPEGs on the site seems to have been either damaged by the in camera RAW to JPEG developer or the SSP6 conversion.
Without the original RAW and SPP6 it is not possible to dig deep enough and conclude.

However I can assure the OOC RAW will contend hilarious deep information and that the files will show enough latitude that it is possible to get the tonality just about perfect.
The sharpness and detail you will be able to develop from a RAW file will be enough for anybody I would claim. I believe the subjective resolution will be closer to the 645Z with their best SDM lenses rather than closer to cameras like D800E or A7R used with the best glass.
The Sigma lens is no less than outstanding. I don't think the MTF curves given by Sigma lies.

All that said... the rendering OOC is somewhat a tad too dull.

Hulyss Bowman

Hi! Just joined!

I've got a Sigma DP2M and really like it. I don't believe from what I've read so far that I'll be replacing it with the Quattro model. Although I do really like the Quattro images I've seen so far because of what appears to be more realistic colors and improved shadows. Sometimes my DP2M produces colors that are not at all like reality.
This is where the DP3m enter the place ;)

Sigma DP3 Review

G43

I pulled the trigger. Whatever will be will be.
Delivered on the 1st of August. DP1M, DP2M and DP3M.

The files will do the print sizes I am looking for.

:)