The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP Merrill accessories

X3inca

Would anybody recommend some adaptor suitable for the 52 to 49 mm filter threads so that only one VND filter is necessary, or that could maybe be any adaptor from any manufacturer?
I always rely on Heliopan for this kind of stuff - they are made of brass instead of aluminium. But all vendors should work.
Bye

darr

Hi,
since i also jumped late on the Merrill Train, i also looked for perfect fitting screen protectors, but was disappointed from the results. Regarding the mentioned ACMAXX LCD-Screen protectors: What i can see in the linked picture it does not cover the whole glas screen. The whole glas area is something about 3.2" inch - only the underlying pixel-LCD is 3".

GGS & Co does not manufacture a dedicated & perfect fitting protector for Merrills , but i found that the GGS ones build for a Nikon D3100 and Canon 40D/50D (and 5DMk2) fits nearly perfect.
Here's i a picture from my setup, GGS glas for Canon 40D fitted.

Regarding lens hood: a B+W 900 rubber lens hood.
Regarding mounting plate: a small Kirk PZ-130

Bye, X3inca
Sorry, but you are wrong about the ACMAXX Screen Protectors; they are a little over 3.25" inches diagonally and cover my Merrill screens 100%, plus they display the Merrill name through the protector and not the manufacture's name as your photo shows. Maybe you work for GGS? :LOL:

darr

I know some folks think they will not need filters and purchase the Sigma hoods, but the following photo I made a few days ago would not look like it does without the ND filter I used to bring in the sky. The Foveon sensor is a bit unforgiving of highlights and I find the need for polarizers, ND filters and bracketing as part of my shooting technique.

Train Cars, Early County, Georgia
Sigma DP3 M, ISO 100, 1/20 sec @ f/8.0 +0.7

X3inca

@darr: Thank you for the detailed ACMAXX picture, it's far better than the official sales picture from above the Link, fitting is perfect, indeed. And no, i have no relationship to any of the vendors, i just wrote about them because they are easier to buy here in Europe.
Bye

G43

@X3inca
@darr

....many thanks for your contributions....

Polarity filters or gradient filters solves maybe problems with blown highlights in the sky if the metering is difficult. They do well for the skies above a horizon and opens for ETTR. But such filters can't deal with blown highlights outside their working area. Reflections etc. They are gradient filters as we know.
I normally exposure for the highlights and let the shadows fall where they fall. You may crank up fill light if your shadows blocks and bring out texture there. I am not so concerned about the shadows as shadows or darkness is natural for our eyes opposite blown highlights.
Exposuring for the highlights allways works... for me at least :)
Never the less I like gradient filters as they do stuff we can't achieve in PP.
@darr, your image here is a prove of it.

G43

I have a 52mm B&W pol-filter laying around. Have a 58 mm VND filter. Will see if I need a smaller VND filter if adapting 58 mm to 49 mm is causing vignetting on DP1? Have to find a smart solution for this and one that fits the 3 cameras without having to fiddle too much in the field.

I love to be able to smear the water at the seaside or a lake, in particular in B&W.

I am leaving for London for a photo workshop this week and will pop in at Jessops or something to buy what I need.

:)

rjp85

Hey darr, is that the RRS L plate and grip, or is that the one that's all over eBay?

I wanted to get the cheap eBay one, but I read that the battery compartment doesn't open with it on, even though there's a cut-out for the battery.

darr

Hey darr, is that the RRS L plate and grip, or is that the one that's all over eBay?

I wanted to get the cheap eBay one, but I read that the battery compartment doesn't open with it on, even though there's a cut-out for the battery.
It is the RRS grip, but I do prefer the JLM grip because it is a bit smaller in my hand. I was able to buy my grips used; just keep checking eBay, FM Forums, LuLa, etc. for used ones. Ya gotta have access to the battery doors with these beauties. :)

PaulO

For grips (DP2M, DP3M) I have the Richard Franiec grips. I bring the camera to vertical with the tripod head. The camera is light enough that on my RRS tripod it does not matter that the camera is not positioned directly over the tripod for verticals.

I just got a Voigtlander 75mm viewfinder for the DP3M. Works well with crisp bright-lines and no magnification or reduction. Using a viewfinder allows you to hold the camera steadier and use a lower shutter speed. There is a dotted bright line for parallax that I wish was less conspicuous, though I'll get use to it.

rjp85

So, funny story about the Sunwayfoto L bracket/grip ( Sunwayfoto PML-DP L-Bracket For Sigma DP Series Cameras PML-DP )

I got two of them. They should be identical right?

Well, first of all, they look and feel beautiful. I love the grip. VERY nice.

Now the bad news. The one on my 2M locks down tight in my RRS clamp in vertical and horizontal orientation (okay, that's good news).

The one on my 3M locked down tightly in horizontal orientation, but NOT in vertical orientation!

I was completely baffled. I tried over and over again, looking closely at what was going on. It just wouldn't lock down. Looks like they cut off a bit too much material, but comparing the two brackets side by side, they look identical...I think.

So one worked, and the other didn't. Weird.

So this means I'll probably get an RRS grip for my 3M and be done with it.

In conclusion, stay away from the Sunwayfoto... unless you get a good one that works, because they really are beautiful and feel very nice.

dbarthel

Please let us know if these fit well. The problem with a number of after-market batteries of this configuration is that they are tight in the battery slot and can be difficult to remove.
They arrived promptly and fit perfectly. Don't have any usage data yet.